aberdeen-music

The Beach Boys - Smile

Paranoid Android

So even though Brian Wilson released what he saw as a finished version of Smile in 2004, there will, apparently, be a completed version compiled from the original surviving recordings put out this summer.

According to Al Jardine:

Capitol Records plans to issue a Beach Boys version of Smile sometime this summer to begin the celebration of The Beach Boys anniversary. Smile is the Holy Grail for Beach Boys fans, so it will be good.

I dont have many details on it, although we didn't do any new recording. I'm happy to see it finally come out. Brians changed his mind about releasing the material, but it was inevitable, wasnt it? (Al chuckles).

http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in-nat...um-plus-smile-1

I'm not sure exactly what to think about this, Brian Wilson, who composed all the music, has already released a version he saw as complete and the widely praised purple chick bootleg gives us a very good interpretation using original recordings. It's impossible to ever know exactly what it would have been like if it was finished in 1967 (and what it's impact would have been) so I don't really see the point in it.

I can't say I'm not interested though, I just hope it turns out to be more than just a money grabbing exercise.

You're probably right but also there must still be loads of recordings from these sessions that haven't been made public that would interest a lot of people. I think they might be better off just putting together as much as they can into a deluxe box set (like the Pet Sounds one) rather then try and put it together as an album and call it (another) finished version of Smile.

And Mr Brussels is right about OP/H+V's. Super stuff.

Love this performance

You might be right, maybe "loads" is a bit hopeful but there is surely some alternate takes and mixes still to see the light of day. Still it's hard to really judge what this will be just with one comment from Al Jardine.

btw if any fan hasn't listened to the Purple Chick version of Smile, you really should.

Read a little about it here Purple Chick presents The Beach Boys Smile - a reconstruction

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting this news. I'm hoping for something in the vein of the Pet Sounds Sessions set. I have all the bootlegs but it will be nice to have everything from the vaults out there in the highest quality and maybe a few surpises...? The vocal sessions for "Good Vibrations" would be amazing - I'm sure Capitol claimed to have lost the tapes a few years back so they've not been booted. The 3cd set of GV stuff I have is mostly instrumental takes. After all, Brian claimed to have burned the tapes for "Fire" but there are more than a few tapes of the sessions floating about.

• 7 months later...