aberdeen-music

Souled Asylum - Mark Ronson Style !!

Trannyvan

Souled Asylum ( "Souled Asylum" )............................

at its prime, was voted Scotlands best live band and proudly sold out Lemon Tree on 9 occasions and graced the AECC corporate stage on many other occasions.

We had players from Acergy, Technip, Amec, Aker and so on. A real Aberdeen oil services band !

Sadly it had to be shut down some years ago as it had ran its course and lost its sparkle and in music terms this is fatal and is the time to get out.

Its now time to get back in..................folk have convinced me that the city misses such a band, playing at pro-level, using top of the range equipment and having a great time.

Oh, and the urge to play again helps !!

The band will be put back together with some old faces but mainly with a majority of new faces.

" YOU "

So far we have a four piece horn section, top notch drummer, keyboards, rythmn guitar and bass.

The planned additional line up is lead guitar and male/female singers plus keyboards/Hammond.

I reckon with all the talent that graces this forum, there are musos out there who would like to do something a bit different in a big gathering.

If you are or know of ;

male lead/backing singers in the style of Jess Roden, Paul Rogers, Chris Farlowe, Mick Hucknall, Cliff Bennett Otis Redding,Eric Burden , etc etc :

female lead/backing singers in the style of Alesha Keys, Etta James, Joss Stone, Joan Osborne, Florence Rawlings etc etc

keyboard player/ Hammond Organ player and

lead/rythmn guitarist with clean tones and in the style of Norma Beaker, Gary Moore, Jeff Healy etc

then please get in touch. Must be a good standard as this unit will play at pro-level.

As for logistics, there will be weekly rehearsals every Wednesday evening circa 7pm to 10pm probably in a studio at Inverurie.

Plan to start in the next few weeks when I can get back down south to bring some gear back !!

Singers do not need any gear. It will be provided

Keyboards do not need any gear. It will be provided unless you prefer your own.

Hammond B3 or C3 or B3 chop with Leslie will be provided.

Music is predominantly up tempo soul and RnB, you know the stuff that fills the dance floor ala Mark Ronson style. It is a covers band NOT a "Tribute Band "

Not for everyone I know but it is good damn fun with such a mix of folk and instruments.

Love to hear from previous members..................:princess::love:8-)

PM is interested

Thanks

Mike

Souled Asylum - Mark Ronson Style - Update

Wow.................had many responses to the original post and great to see so many talented musos out there that are interested in the project.

Plan to organise a get together in the next few weeks, which of course will require try outs for the oversubscribed slots and subscribed slots to nail the line up going forward.

As all my gear ( Backline, PA, etc etc ) is down south I also have to re-organise transport ( 7.5ton truck with tail lift ) to get sufficient rehearsal gear to get going.

Finally, where oh where are the keyboard players. No responses at all ( except Jen )

This is a great music environment for keyboard adventure and I can also chuck a Hammond B3 and Leslie into the mix ( Okay not my prized B3 but a chop done in Germany )

Ideally looking for a keyboard player and a Hammond player.

Thanks

Mike

8-)

If your still looking for a male singer - been told in the style of Bowie and Nutini?? dont think so myself but willing to give it a crack.

Is that you Gary ? Did you come from Stonehaven and audition quite some time ago for the previous lne up ? If so quite pleased to see you are interested. Drop me a PM please

Thanks

Mike

Souled Asylum - Mark Ronson Style ! - Vocalists Required

This forum rocks................

The band resurrection has come on leaps and bounds :

Horns - 4 piece section in place

Drums - In place

Bass - Yours truly

Rythmn Guitar - In place

Lead Guitar - Lots of offers and try outs planned

Keyboards - in place

Hammond - In place

Which leaves the biggest worry of all.............VOCALS

This band will play soul/R&B/Up Temp Blues etc etc in a power soul type of way re-arranging covers to create dance floor fillers.

Vocals have to be powerful, full ranged and capable of strong harmonies.

Unfortunately it is not suited to Katy Melua type voices. so.............

male lead/backing singers in the style of Jess Roden, Paul Rogers, Chris Farlowe, Mick Hucknall, Cliff Bennett Otis Redding,Eric Burden , etc etc :

female lead/backing singers in the style of Alesha Keys, Etta James, Joss Stone, Joan Osborne, Florence Rawlings etc etc

No equipment needed. It will all be provided.

Thanks to those that have responded already and details are logged.

Get togethers and try outs planned within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Male singer

Hi Mike, I would be keen to audition as a male singer. I have 30+ years live gigging experience and can cover most styles. Not much into bumming myself up so I'll leave it at that. I live in Tarves so no problems with meeting up for a tryout. If Garry Gibb is still with you, you can ask his opinion; it may save you wasting time with me.

Hope to hear from you.

Cheers

Chuck Milne

mobile: 07786 876361

day: 01224 773000

eve + weekends: 01651 851767