aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

The work I'm doing on site today involves hours of sitting around.

Is there anywhere to read books online for free?

I'm mid-way through the Two Towers atm so if someone could tell me where to find that specifically I'd rep them... which is really all I can offer..

xx

I'll rephrase my earlier reply to this post. Even if there is a site, don't post links to it here as the book is still in copyright and that site would most probably be breaking the law.

I've just removed one link that was posted in response to this which carried a high infection risk for spyware etc.

I'll rephrase my earlier reply to this post. Even if there is a site, don't post links to it here as the book is still in copyright and that site would most probably be breaking the law.

I've just removed one link that was posted in response to this which carried a high infection risk for spyware etc.

sorry chris.

didn't realize :down:

Fingers crossed for you too, man.

Seriously, try McDonald's. If it's the same as when I was there: you apply for a job, you get one. It's as simple as that really.

adam i worked with you there, i still have friar basket scars on my arms. i cant believe you'd suggest working there! you know of the horrors, THE HORRORS!

venu: "make some burgers man yah?" - FUCK YOU YOU FUCKIN FUCK YAH?

crazy Ram: *signs incoherently to himself at the dive (backwash)*

cool tiny Ram: *tells strange story about driving without a licence and pretending not to speak english and getting off scott free - laughs for the rest of the day about it*

.....okay, so there was banter but fuck man. i cant think of much worse, i'd rather work in an abbatior

i remember you having a distaste for having to tuck your shirt in "damn it! they are fitted shirts! why do we have to tuck them in?!"

Hey, I'm not saying it's great but if it's between that and asking strangers on an Internet forum if I can borrow 25 to feed my electricity meter I sure as hell know which one I'd prefer.

Sentiment is basically - don't be too proud/elitist to take any job if it's down to having one or not having one.

I don't class you guys as strangers, you are all really nice people! REALLY NICE! :up:

Guest Gladstone

I just walked out of Morrisons on King Street and that homeless wifey is still sitting outside there begging.

How the fuck did she get fat???

Surely she should be skinny if she can't afford to feed herself!?

I just walked out of Morrisons on King Street and that homeless wifey is still sitting outside there begging.

She sits on her arse for a living. She's probably not exactly a garden salad sort of girl either.

Anyone on here a BT Broadband customer? I'm sure I received a letter from them ages ago with a username and password that would allow me to access BT Openzone in wi-fi hotspots for no extra cost, but I can't find that fucking letter now. Maybe I imagined it...

Does this service exist for BT Broadband customers?? If so, any idea how I can find out my username and password?

Once connected, launch your internet browser (such as Internet Explorer). You will now see a BT Openzone or BT Fon login page. Simply select BT Total Broadband from the customer login list and enter your BTinternet.com email address and password, and press connect.

Free Wi-Fi with BT Total Broadband

One for the muso's that google could easily answer if I could think of a better way to word it.

Why, when I'm tuning a stringed instrument with an electronic tuner, does the tuner get 'confused' and displays the note that is the relative 5th of the note I'm after but still tunes it accurately?

I.e - If I'm after an E, the tuner will sometimes flash between a B and an E, but the hand will always tell me how close I am to an E, regardless of what the interface is showing. Happens on tuners that have a microphone and tuners that pick up the vibration.

One for the muso's that google could easily answer if I could think of a better way to word it.

Why, when I'm tuning a stringed instrument with an electronic tuner, does the tuner get 'confused' and displays the note that is the relative 5th of the note I'm after but still tunes it accurately?

I.e - If I'm after an E, the tuner will sometimes flash between a B and an E, but the hand will always tell me how close I am to an E, regardless of what the interface is showing. Happens on tuners that have a microphone and tuners that pick up the vibration.

I'm going to guess at something to do with harmonics.

She sometimes sits outside my work and when I go for a smoke i have to walk past her to get back into the building.

The fourth time she'd asked me for some "spare change" I'd had enough and said "I have a spare gym membership if you're interested"

What was she going to do? Run after me?! No.

Ha ha

Can't remember the exact physics of it, but I think it's overtones - when a string vibrates, it's not just creating one single frequency. i.e. it's not just the whole string going up and down. It has points along it, halfway, third of the way etc that also create 'sympathetic frequencies'.Obviously the E is the main one you hear, and the human brain just focusses on that one anyway, but the other notes are in there to some degree. The main one is I think 1/3 of the way along the string which creates the frequency of the fifth note (B) on top of the root E. So you can't really hear it very well yourself, but sometimes it can be enough for your tuner to pick up.

I nearly threw my tuner in the bin last week because I thought it was fucked, for the last few weeks it's tuned 5 of my strings fine but completely shit the bed when I tried to tune my B, just started fluctating wildly. Turns out it was stuck on bass mode.

Cool story, me.

Guest Gladstone
Is there anywhere near here (just off Carden Place) that I could buy a light fitting?

I am on foot, so needs to be close!

For anyone's that interested, I got one of those basic white plastic pendant light fittings for 2.99 from Brian Melvin Lighting on Rosemount Place.

Not the sort of thing you need to buy everyday, but just in case you do...