aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Is that not what Housing Benefit is for? Does that even still exist?

Private rents are not that bad, are they?

About 500 at least for a 1 bedroom flat before council tax. It's extortionate. Council is very much cheaper. On both our wages if we went for private renting we'd be struggling. And I think Housing Benefit is only if you're not making a certain amount or something. Not sure.

I think I answered this in my previous post. That's two posts about this you've been all arsey about. Why?

I was just on here and thought "oh, I'll ask about, like people do with these things, seeing as I can't actually make the official phone calls."

I'm not being arsey at all. It's quite a specific set of circumstances you've laid out, the company you're girlfriend is dealing with is best to answer that sort of question and you've decided it'd be best to ask on here, in the Quick Questions thread. I'd say this is a Wondering about stuff question.

About 500 at least for a 1 bedroom flat before council tax. It's extortionate. Council is very much cheaper. On both our wages if we went for private renting we'd be struggling. And I think Housing Benefit is only if you're not making a certain amount or something. Not sure.

Surely it's there to assist people like you and your girlfriend then?

Housing benefit to 'top up' your wage so you can afford to rent privately? Is that not something that your girlfriend could/should have perhaps looked into as an alternative to homelessness?

Before council tax, which is spread out throughout the year with DD. Is 250 each that bad? How much is council rent?

Adam is right though, there is housing benefit to help as well.

I'm not being arsey at all. It's quite a specific set of circumstances you've laid out, the company you're girlfriend is dealing with is best to answer that sort of question and you've decided it'd be best to ask on here, in the Quick Questions thread. I'd say this is a Wondering about stuff question.

I never once said it would be best to ask here. I just thought as I was on this site I might get an answer. If you didn't have an answer you could've ignored it.

Before council tax, which is spread out throughout the year with DD. Is 250 each that bad? How much is council rent?

Adam is right though, there is housing benefit to help as well.

We shared a flat a while ago Which was a 2 bedroom. Me, my gf and her friend. It was 600 a month before CT and we struggled.

We didn't have much clue about housing benefit and that. Still don't. But it doesn't matter as she can afford this flat if she accepts it.

All this talk of benefits and that is going off course as she won't need it. I was just asking a question and all I wanted was a "Yes", "no" or to just be ignored.

I'd happily open a thread talking about costs of living, differences in rents and that but I feel as if you're having a go at me for asking a question. It's not as if I'm cool1. It also feels like you've having a go at my girlfriend for getting a council flat offer after quite a while on the list.

It also feels like you've having a go at my girlfriend for getting a council flat offer after quite a while on the list.

We are, the harlot. How the fuck dare she expect a roof over her head from the council housing programme?

The nerve of some people.

Did you even fucking consider this option? 3 bed and I bet you could afford that shit!

xx

We shared a flat a while ago Which was a 2 bedroom. Me, my gf and her friend. It was 600 a month before CT and we struggled.

We didn't have much clue about housing benefit and that. Still don't. But it doesn't matter as she can afford this flat if she accepts it.

All this talk of benefits and that is going off course as she won't need it. I was just asking a question and all I wanted was a "Yes", "no" or to just be ignored.

I'd happily open a thread talking about costs of living, differences in rents and that but I feel as if you're having a go at me for asking a question. It's not as if I'm cool1. It also feels like you've having a go at my girlfriend for getting a council flat offer after quite a while on the list.

I hope they're not having a go at her. Not everyone has well paid jobs and i fully understand not being able to afford to rent privately.

Did you even fucking consider this option? 3 bed and I bet you could afford that shit!

xx

cheers for that. We're actually looking in to tents to go camping next year. Haha.

I hope they're not having a go at her. Not everyone has well paid jobs and i fully understand not being able to afford to rent privately.

They're probably not. It just seemed like there was a lot of "WHY SHOULD SHE GET ONE?!" when it was decided very honestly. It's not as if I got her pregnant to get her one faster or something. Or she's been lying on the forms or anything. She told the council everything there was to know and was put on the homeless list. Sent a copy of her letter to other housing places and waited 8 months for an offer. I think she's very deserving of a flat seeing as she works hard for a living and doesn't ask for any handouts ever. It's not as if the dole will be paying this for her. And I don't think she'd want that anyway.

I'm definitely not having a go, just curious.

Council rent is 120pcm?! Fuck me, no wonder people wait for that. A bit miffed that my taxes go on a 75% discount on rent in comparison to private rates, really.

I don't think she'd want me to tell everyone the ins and outs as it's her business but the rent is more than 120. The CT is about 120 a month. Band B. But yes. It's extremely cheap compared to private rent. And Langstane offer you it part furnished. Which she declined just in case she wants to move / buy somewhere, she's going to need some of her own stuff.

And I wouldn't say your taxes go on a discount. Only to those who take the benefits. If you get the dole to pay for your flat, that's what the taxes go on. The council charge what they charge. It's cheaper because it's the council and the own so many (I assume). Private leasing is someone who's bought a flat for say.. 90,000, spent some money doing it up and want to see a return quicker. I mean, a mortgage on a flat is probably cheaper than private rent. I'd like to assume that most people living in council flats are people with jobs who pay their way. People who have a young family and need somewhere cheap.

But I did hear a rumour that the only reason council takes people in who are on JSA is because they're guaranteed money from the dole each month as it goes Dole > Council. where as if a working person over spends they might not get their rent as it goes Work > Person > Council.

Council rent is 120pcm?! Fuck me, no wonder people wait for that. A bit miffed that my taxes go on a 75% discount on rent in comparison to private rates, really.

It's not 75% across the board. The private rental market in Aberdeen is greatly inflated by the oil industry and people trying to recoup cash they spent when the market for flat sales was substantially higher, and therefore people keeping up with the Jones'.

If you look at rental markets outside Aberdeen the cost of private rents is quite a bit lower.

Council houses are crazy cheap! (although you do often have the minky area/neighbours problem) Someone I used to work with had a 3 bedroom one near the beach and it was only 360 a month or something like that. I'm paying 550 for my one bedroom flat and it's not even what I would consider big. (although Rosemount is just generally overpriced).

Although it must be said, private lets are still not as bad as the scam that is student halls of residence!

I'll be applying for jobs in Glasgow for when I graduate. A 2 bedroom flat right near the centre of Glasgow is around 600 a month. Get a LOT more for your money there. Edinburgh is a bit more expensive than Glasgow but still nothing like Aberdeen

Bear in mind in a council flat you may also have to put up with a moaning bint playing with her hoop in the garden.

No moaning from me now all that shit has gone :up: and don't you worry your pretty little head, my hooping skillz are getting better all the time thanks to having all that space again.

No, my neighbour told me yesterday as I was hanging out my washing that a woman from the council had been round seeing a newly empty flat, saw the garden and told them they had to remove it as it's a communal area. The kids weren't happy, and were making faces at her, which probably didn't help their case.

I don't know of anywhere that is 120 per month in council housing. Cheapest council rent is about 55p/w.