aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

I liked that album review hingy.

I still listen to almost every song posted to the feedback forum but there seems to be a fair amount of one-and-done posts in there these days. That and it's often gash so there's not much to say. How about people start good bands, and start them 6 years ago when online forums were relevant.

So, what's good to do in Edinburgh?

Going there for a few days in August. I've never really done Edinburgh. I've been to the Zoo, and that's about it. So tell me things that are cool to do. The more touristy, the better. Castles, museums, tours, Hibernian pre-season friendlies, pie eating contests, good places to eat. Anything.

Food-wise there's tonnes so it depends what you're into. A few awesome burger places (Holyrood 9A and The Cambridge Bar spring to mind), loads of higher end, expensive spots (Kitchin, 2112, The Plumed Horse) and most things in between.

tourist-wise there are the open top bus tours which would be good to get an overall feel for the place (usually leaving from Waverley Bridge, hop-on-hop-off), Mary King's Close the old paved over street, the whisky trail, camera obscura, the castle, the dungeons are a good laugh, the botanic gardens are wicked, etc.

Mary King's Close is good, would second that.  Would also recommend booking a fancy restaurant at lunchtime. Most of the high end and michelin ones do fixed price set menus over lunch which are great value, but you usually need to book in advance.

if you just want to stuff your face and like pork then get a roll from Oink. It's a shop just selling hog roast rolls.

The Stand comedy club is good for a night out too.

Oink is a great eat-on-the-go shout, and it's on Victoria Street which is the hill that goes down into the Grassmarket so a good location. Some absolutely wicked pubs too. I could name great pubs all day but the Guildford Arms is a good starting spot 2 mins from Waverley, then Cafe Royale, Tiles, The Abbotsford, The Thistle St Bar, The Malt Shovel, etc.

A god shout on the lunch menus too - some of the prices will surprise you for the high-end places!

Edinburgh in August will be rammed as fucking fuck due to the Fringe. I'd check out the Fringe/PBH Free Fringe listings and see if there's anything you wanna see there. And if you wanna do the Castle or anything of that nature then either get there early as fuck or be ready to do a fuckload of waiting.

https://www.edfringe.com/

http://freefringe.org.uk/ (just noticed the site doesn't have listings yet, boo! Facebook might.)

xx

Edited by Stroopy121

If you're going to Edinburgh in August you should dingy the tourist stuff and dedicate your time to the fringe. There's something for everyone. Go to a couple free shows and splurge on shows you really want to see (because the free stuff is hit or miss and you'll want something you know is of a decent calibre). Stuff your face with food and booze in between shows. Hit up the beer gardens dotted about.

I'd genuinely recommend the above over any of the tourist stuff around this time of year. Mary kings close is OK - I expected to see a complete old town underground but it's basically a load of cellars which isn't anything special to look at. The stories are pretty entertaining but I can't say it was worth the 14 pounds. Bob odenkirk was bizarrely in my tour group though, which made up for it.

The whisky experience is pretty basic. If you know the bare minimum about whisky, I wouldn't recommend it as it doesn't get much more in depth than a basic overview of the regions. The big collection is worth the admission if thats your thing.

A walk up calton hill is always worth it.

Interesting article, cheers for posting it.

I still think a bit of social media advertising might boost members here, a couple of cheeky posts in Facebook groups now and then and a non dormant twitter account. What do the mods think about that idea, eh!?!?

Any ideas of a city centre venue where I could host a party, with our own band, and be allowed to bring in our own food? 

I don't mind having a paying bar on.  We've contacted The Tunnels, and hotels are funny about you bringing your own food in (family have weird-ass food allergies, and I know chefs say they can accommodate, but it's just easier). 

I thought about Downstairs, but no-one got back to me. 

Edited by Scubby