aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

DIY types. Riddle me this.

My bathroom door handle keeps breaking. The door handle comes right off on the inside as screws keep ripping right out of the wood over a prolonged period of time, as you have to pull the door in pretty hard to align the lock so the door will lock. Any ideas on how to fix this, rather than just paper over the cracks by rescrewing it, just for it to rip out?

How do they transfer old films into HD? I thought it had to do with how the program was filmed - surely the old films from the 70s and 80s were filmed on old tape which has a poor picture quality. I don't understand how they can make that HD.

Think about it like a slide - film is light flowing through a bit of film. Telly on the other hand is made up of lots of little dots.

So whenever a "film" gets onto a telly somehow it needs to get converted into little dots. HD telly has more little dots than VHS. But with film you aren't limited by dots, therefore with anything shot on film it's very easy to convert into what we call "HD". But the actual film itself isn't limited, except by the quality of what was shot in the first place, the film stock, 35mm vs 8mm film etc etc.

So really old stuff, like the 60s Star Trek was shot on film (except the effects) and can therefore be converted to HD easily. But stuff filmed in the 70s on video (ie little dots) can't be converted to HD.

My bathroom door handle keeps breaking. The door handle comes right off on the inside as screws keep ripping right out of the wood over a prolonged period of time, as you have to pull the door in pretty hard to align the lock so the door will lock. Any ideas on how to fix this, rather than just paper over the cracks by rescrewing it, just for it to rip out?

The proper fix would probably be to drill the holes out and glue in dowels, but you could try glueing in a few cocktail sticks in the hole, letting it dry and then hopefully the screws will bite into the new wood.

The proper fix would probably be to drill the holes out and glue in dowels, but you could try glueing in a few cocktail sticks in the hole, letting it dry and then hopefully the screws will bite into the new wood.

A better fix probably, would be to unscrew and re-position the lock striker plate slightly so you don't have to pull the door so hard..... Neeps solution to anchor the screws more firmly on the handle is very sound advice too.... do both for piece of mind !

Think about it like a slide - film is light flowing through a bit of film. Telly on the other hand is made up of lots of little dots.

So whenever a "film" gets onto a telly somehow it needs to get converted into little dots. HD telly has more little dots than VHS. But with film you aren't limited by dots, therefore with anything shot on film it's very easy to convert into what we call "HD". But the actual film itself isn't limited, except by the quality of what was shot in the first place, the film stock, 35mm vs 8mm film etc etc.

So really old stuff, like the 60s Star Trek was shot on film (except the effects) and can therefore be converted to HD easily. But stuff filmed in the 70s on video (ie little dots) can't be converted to HD.

Aye, that's a very good explanation.

Most stuff in the 70s and 80s was still filmed on film though and there is actually "tape" that is capable of HD quality.

No, completely the opposite. Almost all films are of a quality far superior to HD before they reach mass market media.

Ah ok cheers. I bought some films from round that era and when I read this I was like eh, excuse me?

Not a hoax, but you really have to be a SERIOUS applicant.

I once got a job offer through the job site Monster for a firm that thought my cv was great. So I let them email me. Basically I had to get money out of one account, transfer it into mine then have it taken out into another account. I kept a percentage of the money.

They needed my bank details before I got the job. That's dodgy, I laughed, deleted and so on right away, but if I didn't.. I would've been money laundering or something eh? And Monster recommended me this job. BUHH.

Guest idol_wild
I've been meaning to post this in pet hates for ages. That and farting in the bogs at work when other people are there. I can't help laughing; even though it's not fucking funny.

Dude. I have posted about this at least twice on this website. It has reached the point where I now hold my poop in during the day until I get home, otherwise I fear relentless cubicle-based laughter, whilst my bare arse is perched over a porcelain bowl, and someone is attempting to roll out a toldy, with all the gasping, panting, squeaking and squeezing.

I am laughing as I type this, and I am not proud of that.

It's the reverb that does it.

Dude. I have posted about this at least twice on this website. It has reached the point where I now hold my poop in during the day until I get home, otherwise I fear relentless cubicle-based laughter, whilst my bare arse is perched over a porcelain bowl, and someone is attempting to roll out a toldy, with all the gasping, panting, squeaking and squeezing.

I've laughed at every one of these echo farting posts. But you know me...

I laughed as I read it.

Most stuff in the 70s and 80s was still filmed on film though and there is actually "tape" that is capable of HD quality.

Yeah, I don't know what the percentage breakdown would be between stuff shot of film and video. And quite often you would get shows where bits shot in the studio were shot on video, but then stuff outside was done on film, Monty Python (TV) for example.

I think it would tend to be "cheaper" stuff that was done on video, say Diffren't Strokes or The Cosby Show. But a "drama" like TJ Hooker or something would be film. For me it's quite easy to tell straight away.

And yeah, nowadays they have HD tape and even shoot "films" on HD video, like the Star Wars prequels.

I once got a job offer through the job site Monster for a firm that thought my cv was great. So I let them email me. Basically I had to get money out of one account, transfer it into mine then have it taken out into another account. I kept a percentage of the money.

They needed my bank details before I got the job. That's dodgy, I laughed, deleted and so on right away, but if I didn't.. I would've been money laundering or something eh? And Monster recommended me this job. BUHH.

Yeah, it's fair to say that'd be dodgy! I remember a girl coming into a branch I was working in who had taken on a similar type of job. She was sent international cheques, had to cash them within a certain timescale and then pay a portion of that value out of her account, keeping the rest. The people providing the cheques know when they'll be placed so they ensure that they cancel them between the placing and the cheque clearing, but not before the individual as paid out. That way you pay the money out, the cheque gets cancelled and you're out of pocket. A very simple scheme and clearly dodgy and yet a lot of people still fall for it. And the worst part of it is that since you chose to carry out the transactions, the bank won't cover you for it. Needless to say, she was less than impressed.

Yeah, I don't know what the percentage breakdown would be between stuff shot of film and video. And quite often you would get shows where bits shot in the studio were shot on video, but then stuff outside was done on film, Monty Python (TV) for example.

I think it would tend to be "cheaper" stuff that was done on video, say Diffren't Strokes or The Cosby Show. But a "drama" like TJ Hooker or something would be film. For me it's quite easy to tell straight away.

And yeah, nowadays they have HD tape and even shoot "films" on HD video, like the Star Wars prequels.

I thought he was talking mostly about films, most TV stuff would've been tape.

I was actually talking about D-VHS, which was released in 1998.

I thought he was talking mostly about films, most TV stuff would've been tape.

I was actually talking about D-VHS, which was released in 1998.

Actually a lot of stuff that you might think is shot on tape is actually shot on film then transferred to tape. Friends for example.