aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Mix up enough polyfilla (not too runny) to fill the hole, scoop it in with anything handy (ideally a spatula), then scrape it flat with the same tool, or a bit of hardboard, or a ruler, etc To get a smooth finish wipe over it just before it dries with a damp sponge. If there are still some gaps, repeat the process.

I moved a mirror the other day in my living room to find a hole about the size of a matchbox in the wall behind it. How do I fix this?

Put a matchbox in it?

Actually (presuming it's a plaster wall) if it is too big for just polyfilla on its own, you can put a bit of wire mesh in to act as a base for the filler to hold on to. Be like this guy, he's cool.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-repair-holes-in-plasterboard

It comes from people being stupid. It was originally stone-cold penalty as in stone-cold certain rather than Steve Austin. Commentators starting getting things messed up, as they do, and calling it stonewall and it caught on from there.

Although Stone Cold Steve Austin also works and that's the bottom line because he says so.

• Upvote 1

Why are clear penalties in football known as stonewallers? What have walls and stones got to do with a handball?!

The best I can (quickly - I'm on my second pint of homebrew and I have no idea how strong it is but I'm getting the buzzzz) find is this:

STONEWALL - WHERE DID IT COME FROM?

What is the first recorded use of the word "stonewall" to mean "absolutely certain", as in "it was a stonewall penalty"? The Chambers Dictionary lists "stonewall" as a verb, not an adjective.asked Seamus McCann last week.

"I believe that stonewalling was originally an Australian term used by politicians for delaying tactics," says Ray Routledge. "There was also an American Civil War general, Thomas Jackson, who was nicknamed Stonewall because during the Battle of Bull Run in 1861 he stood firm, 'like a stone wall'. In a sporting context I think it was first applied in cricket when a batsman would play constant defensive shots, blocking every delivery so as to minimise the risk of getting out."

But Mark Power claims: "Chambers is right: "stonewall" is a verb, as in "to block obdurately, or Defensively". I suspect what Seamus or Ron have seen is a stone-cold penalty, as in "dead obvious", or "a no-brainer".

From http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2000/dec/13/newsstory.sport5