aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

• 1 month later...

+1 for r/nosleep. It's quite cool because the rules are comments must play along. so it's all made out as if the stories actually happened. 
check out u/gasstationjack for a more comedy horror series.

r/askreddit can be quite cool and loads of interesting threads. just don't bring up broken arms. 

• 1 month later...

The flat above my Aberdeen flat has a leak somewhere that has been coming through the ceiling in my kitchen. My tenant has spoke to the tenants above and they are unable to spot any leak as the pipework is all enclosed.

I've emailed the landlord of the flat but she's a fucking cow who never responds to emails when there's a problem and money will be involved. She also lives in Dubai. I've emailed her letting agent who say the flat is not managed by them so all they can do is email her...

Presumably the tenants above can call out an emergency plumber and claim the costs back from the landlord or the agent, but what happens with getting the ceiling fixed in my flat? Do I have to claim from home insurance, or is this something that the other landlord would be responsible for paying for?

Not such a quick question, but hey ho.

Cheers

7 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

The flat above my Aberdeen flat has a leak somewhere that has been coming through the ceiling in my kitchen. My tenant has spoke to the tenants above and they are unable to spot any leak as the pipework is all enclosed.

I've emailed the landlord of the flat but she's a fucking cow who never responds to emails when there's a problem and money will be involved. She also lives in Dubai. I've emailed her letting agent who say the flat is not managed by them so all they can do is email her...

Presumably the tenants above can call out an emergency plumber and claim the costs back from the landlord or the agent, but what happens with getting the ceiling fixed in my flat? Do I have to claim from home insurance, or is this something that the other landlord would be responsible for paying for?

Not such a quick question, but hey ho.

Cheers

The landlord of the above property should be liable, but some will try to fob you off and tell you that it is you that needs to make a claim. That is bollocks IIRC.

It's a tricky situation for the tenants above though, if the landlord is not playing ball. They might not be in a position to pay for an emergency plumber, and if they were, they'd need an agreement with the landlord to do that, otherwise they could be a few hundred quid in the hole with the landlord refusing to reimburse. They'd have to go down a small claims court route and jeopardise their tenancy etc. If the landlord keeps avoiding the issue, the tenants could claim for it via the Housing and Property Chamber, but that would be their prerogative, and if the leak isn't directly affecting them, they probably won't.

Letting Agents claiming they don't manage a particular property when work/money is concerned tended to be a tactic that some of the shadier agents would use (like AM-PM, who should be avoided as a tenant or a landlord, proper shysters. APL are a load of bastards n'all). It was incredible how many times we'd contact agents when I worked at the council, they'd confirm that they managed a property, and when I'd mention leaks or repairs the tone immediately changed to "oh, actually, we no longer manager that one", like clockwork. Who is the letting agent in this instance?

I believe you've spoken to my old colleague Joe Lamb before. He should be able to give you some advice (if he still works there, if not, someone else in Private Sector Housing will be able to help. Ally Thain is the manager and he's a super good chap, super helpful.). The council can step in and force works to go ahead and then bill the landlord in instances where the landlord isn't cooperating to essential works, and this should certainly qualify as such. They've changed the number on the ACC site to a single number which greets you with loads of confusing menus but 522299 is a direct line to PSHU.

• Upvote 1

Cheers pal.

Aye, I think Joe is still working there. I've been in touch with him a fair bit about the previous issue we were having.

It's Stronach's who 'deal' with the property. The landlord has since been in touch with her usual bullshit attitude - so slowly getting somewhere now.

Who the fuck ignores emails when their flat is leaking water?!

9 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

Cheers pal.

Aye, I think Joe is still working there. I've been in touch with him a fair bit about the previous issue we were having.

It's Stronach's who 'deal' with the property. The landlord has since been in touch with her usual bullshit attitude - so slowly getting somewhere now.

Who the fuck ignores emails when their flat is leaking water?!

It's crazy isn't it. My experience of dealing with Aberdeen landlords is that a lot of them are so bewilderingly rich, they just don't give a shit, even if their property is getting damaged in the process.

When I lived at King Street, we had frequent leaks from above because the knobhead tenant kept letting his bath overflow, or would point the shower directly at the tiles, and it would seep through the half arsed seal around the bath. I'd ring the landlord, who also lived in Dubai, and she'd just hang up mid conversation once she got the jist of what it was about, but her tone prior to hanging up was just like she didn't care one bit.

I think it would be fair to say that there's no such thing as a good overseas landlord. They're all a bunch of pirates.

3 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

It's crazy isn't it. My experience of dealing with Aberdeen landlords is that a lot of them are so bewilderingly rich, they just don't give a shit, even if their property is getting damaged in the process.

When I lived at King Street, we had frequent leaks from above because the knobhead tenant kept letting his bath overflow, or would point the shower directly at the tiles, and it would seep through the half arsed seal around the bath. I'd ring the landlord, who also lived in Dubai, and she'd just hang up mid conversation once she got the jist of what it was about, but her tone prior to hanging up was just like she didn't care one bit.

I think it would be fair to say that there's no such thing as a good overseas landlord. They're all a bunch of pirates.

I've only had dealings with the one. Numerous dealings with the same fucking one.

18 hours ago, Lemonade said:

I think I've met my landlord twice, I've lived in this house 7 years. He only lives an hour or so down the road as well. Suits me fine tbh. When anything breaks he tells me just to get it fixed and take it off the rent.

No inspections or anything? That's a good deal.

Our last landlord in Aberdeen was really good (after the hell of living on King Street under the rule of shysters) but the letting agent were pretty on the ball with quarterly inspections. The woman that came around was nice and all, but it feels a bit invasive having someone looks around every room, checking furniture, doing a light inventory.

Our landlords now only come round about twice a year, and they don't go looking in every room like a letting agent does, just a bit of a catch up and asks if anything needs doing. Good eggs.

31 minutes ago, MattJimF said:

Why are WWE going down the rehash route?

DX, Evolution, Kane and Undertaker, NWO.  Have they run out of original stuff and trying to get people back by going back in time? 

Because only old men watch WWE now and they're going for that nostalgia dolla

4 hours ago, MattJimF said:

Why are WWE going down the rehash route?

DX, Evolution, Kane and Undertaker, NWO.  Have they run out of original stuff and trying to get people back by going back in time? 

It's for the uocoming show in Saudi Arabia. The Prince there is paying them $10m to come and do a PPV there and gave them a list of all the wrestlers he wanted... But he hasn't watched wrestling since the attitude era and half the people on the list are dead. Shawn Michaels is getting $1m for one match. 

A friend of mine was a WWE writer for years and got let go last year along with a ton of others. He didn't have many good things to say about the organization - basically indicating that it's gonna be this kind of shit for many years to come

I used to ask him sooo many questions about his job.

2 hours ago, Lemonade said:

It's for the uocoming show in Saudi Arabia. The Prince there is paying them $10m to come and do a PPV there and gave them a list of all the wrestlers he wanted... But he hasn't watched wrestling since the attitude era and half the people on the list are dead. Shawn Michaels is getting $1m for one match. 

Urgh, another? That Rumble was garbage. No one in the audience even gave a shit. Shame its all about the money now over actual credibility of the brand. 

Is it still gonna be a woman free event? I read that Stephanie McMahon wasn't even allowed near the last one. 

2 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

Urgh, another? That Rumble was garbage. No one in the audience even gave a shit. Shame its all about the money now over actual credibility of the brand. 

Is it still gonna be a woman free event? I read that Stephanie McMahon wasn't even allowed near the last one. 

Yes another one. They have a fucking ten year deal with the Saudis. Surprising for a company that makes such a huge deal of its philanthropy to get in bed with the Saudis but I guess money talks. 

No women again, and all the old farts wheeled out, DX v Undertaker and Kane, Kurt Angle, Hulk Hogan rumoured. They're under pressure to cancel this one though on the back of that dead journalist. 

They're having a women-only PPV next month to make up for it. 

poster-for-WWE-Evolution.jpg