aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

I dodged it a few years ago. Simply told them the truth...well most of the truth... " I think it would be problematical for me to be in a jury as I have osteo-arthritis and cannot sit still for very long as it causes pain and discomfort.  I fear this may cause distraction amongst the other jury members." Worked a treat.

I got called up for jury duty here in Poland last year. I genuinely had nightmares in the days leading up to it. I was convinced I was gonna be on the jury for the next OJ Simpson trial or something - a big trial that'd drag on for ages and i'd have to be sequestered away in a hotel and not be able to read the news and stuff like that. 

Turned up, did a crossword while waiting to be told whether i'd be on a jury, got told after about 20 minutes the judge was sick and there'd be nothing going on that day... in the clear for another 10 years. Lovely stuff.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to talk about Music on the Football and Dead Celebrities forum, but does anyone know of a UK based FX pedal builder/modder who can re-house a pedal of mine? I have a Behringer HM300, a Boss HM-2 clone and a surprisingly good one, but it's made of plastic. I'd like it in a more resilient enclosure. Just a plain box would do, but if they do custom artwork too, that'd be a bonus. Anyone know of any that I could send it off to and they could do the business?

I messaged Raygun FX and Nine of Swords but got no reply. They're either super busy or they're not in the pedal game anymore. Any other suggestions?

When Cobra Kai started out I was using a Behringer OD300 (Overdrive / Distortion, Boss OS2 clone) and a TO800 (Tube Screamer) and they were both good pedals. But like yours the casing broke. They were both held together with gaffer tape before I just went and replaced them with a DS1 and a Big Muff. That doesn't help with your question at all, I just felt like a chat. Bye then.

45 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

When Cobra Kai started out I was using a Behringer OD300 (Overdrive / Distortion, Boss OS2 clone) and a TO800 (Tube Screamer) and they were both good pedals. But like yours the casing broke. They were both held together with gaffer tape before I just went and replaced them with a DS1 and a Big Muff. That doesn't help with your question at all, I just felt like a chat. Bye then.

By all accounts, the circuits are decent. Naff build quality though, and the case feels like it's made out of lego. It's not broken yet, but I feel it's not going to be able to take many actual stomps. Sounds identical to the HM-2 though, so can't scoff for £18, rather than the £100+ that second hand HM-2s go for.

I have the UM300 too, which is a Metal Zone clone of sorts, but way better. That just sits on my desk and gets switched by hand. That one will probably live a bit longer.

Edited by Soda Jerk

12 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

Sorry to talk about Music on the Football and Dead Celebrities forum, but does anyone know of a UK based FX pedal builder/modder who can re-house a pedal of mine? I have a Behringer HM300, a Boss HM-2 clone and a surprisingly good one, but it's made of plastic. I'd like it in a more resilient enclosure. Just a plain box would do, but if they do custom artwork too, that'd be a bonus. Anyone know of any that I could send it off to and they could do the business?

I messaged Raygun FX and Nine of Swords but got no reply. They're either super busy or they're not in the pedal game anymore. Any other suggestions?

Ricky from The Deportees has started making his own pedals - just for fun/him, I think - but he might be able to help! Let me know if you want me to check/pass on details.

12 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Is it gaffer tape or gaffa tape? 

Gaffer. That's how it's spelt; someone from down sawff would pronounce it without a discernible "r", natch. Gaffer and duct tape are different things, apparently; I think the average non-plumber is more likely to be holding gaffer tape.

15 minutes ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

Ricky from The Deportees has started making his own pedals - just for fun/him, I think - but he might be able to help! Let me know if you want me to check/pass on details.

Yeah, if you could see if it's a job he'd be up for, that'd be cool. Understandable if he isn't, as I've read re-housing digital pedals is much more fiddly and difficult than it sounds, and would probably go against him doing it for fun.

On 5/23/2018 at 8:48 AM, scottyboy said:

Gaffer. That's how it's spelt; someone from down sawff would pronounce it without a discernible "r", natch. Gaffer and duct tape are different things, apparently; I think the average non-plumber is more likely to be holding gaffer tape.

But is it duct tape or is it duck tape?

7 hours ago, Lemonade said:

But is it duct tape or is it duck tape?

I am going to answer this without googling it to test my smarty-pants-ness. Then I'll google it. It's duct tape (its used for taping up pipes, or their insulation foam, in air ducts and attics and similar). Duck tape I think is a brand name, Duck Tape, of duct tape. So like blu-tack or bandaid; except in this case the generic name came first (is my guess).

....and googling "duck tape" brings up duct tape (for Wiki, certainly). But down the first page is Wallmart selling something called Duck Tape. Got a duck logo. Doesn't say if it's duct tape or gaffer take or something else though. Just adhesive tape. Exciting.

1 hour ago, scottyboy said:

I am going to answer this without googling it to test my smarty-pants-ness. Then I'll google it. It's duct tape (its used for taping up pipes, or their insulation foam, in air ducts and attics and similar). Duck tape I think is a brand name, Duck Tape, of duct tape. So like blu-tack or bandaid; except in this case the generic name came first (is my guess).

....and googling "duck tape" brings up duct tape (for Wiki, certainly). But down the first page is Wallmart selling something called Duck Tape. Got a duck logo. Doesn't say if it's duct tape or gaffer take or something else though. Just adhesive tape. Exciting.

Pretty much what I thought. 

OK next quick question. What's the correct description of someone who likes spicy food? 

Spicy food-lover
Spicy-food lover
Spicy-food-lover
Spicy food lover

• 2 weeks later...