aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone had any dealings with APC couriers? Some complete fucktronaut used them to deliver something to me from Ebay and they're saying it was signed for by my partner (her name was on the delivery address) and the signature they've shown me is just a fucking mess - which they usually are.

They've got a pretty sold 2 out of 5 rating online........

On 10/24/2017 at 4:47 PM, James Broonbreed said:

Anyone had any dealings with APC couriers? Some complete fucktronaut used them to deliver something to me from Ebay and they're saying it was signed for by my partner (her name was on the delivery address) and the signature they've shown me is just a fucking mess - which they usually are.

They have a depot in Tullos, might be worth popping round and giving them the "ebay seller says the parcel was last tracked at the Aberdeen depot" story see if its lying down the back of a skip in there.  I've been there to collect stuff before and they were alright (2 out of 5).

• 2 weeks later...

I started doing a podcast with a friend. Have been using an old zoom H2 recorder which isn't ideal. The sound quality is just impossible to maintain between two people. It's a nice little mic/recorder but for podcasting it just won't do. Therefore, I just purchased 2 Audio Technica mics (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QJOZS4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)  which from my research are supposed to be ace. I'll prob just plug them both into USB ports and record two tracks in garage band or whatever. However, I figured there would be a way to record two audio tracks onto my iPhone easy enough. Turns out there isn't. Or at least I just can't find a good way. 

Question: anyone know the best way to plug two mics into an iPhone? 

This mic has USB or XLR. I found this thingy which looks decent (albeit overpriced for what is essentially an adaptor) but it's just one input: https://www.rode.com/ixlr. Wondering if there's a product out there that has:

- phantom power (drawn from the phone or a battery, doesn't matter)

- 2 xlr inputs

- and/or 2 usb inputs

- that connects to an iPhone

https://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia-channel-professional-interface/dp/B0148JMEEI/ref=sr_1_19?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1509995412&sr=1-19&keywords=irig

This hingy looks like it fits the bill but i'm wondering if there's maybe a cheaper alternative i'm missing because I only need it to record basic voice tracks. Although maybe that's not important

22 hours ago, ca_gere said:

I started doing a podcast with a friend. Have been using an old zoom H2 recorder which isn't ideal. The sound quality is just impossible to maintain between two people. It's a nice little mic/recorder but for podcasting it just won't do. Therefore, I just purchased 2 Audio Technica mics (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QJOZS4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)  which from my research are supposed to be ace. I'll prob just plug them both into USB ports and record two tracks in garage band or whatever. However, I figured there would be a way to record two audio tracks onto my iPhone easy enough. Turns out there isn't. Or at least I just can't find a good way. 

Question: anyone know the best way to plug two mics into an iPhone? 

This mic has USB or XLR. I found this thingy which looks decent (albeit overpriced for what is essentially an adaptor) but it's just one input: https://www.rode.com/ixlr. Wondering if there's a product out there that has:

- phantom power (drawn from the phone or a battery, doesn't matter)

- 2 xlr inputs

- and/or 2 usb inputs

- that connects to an iPhone

https://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia-channel-professional-interface/dp/B0148JMEEI/ref=sr_1_19?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1509995412&sr=1-19&keywords=irig

This hingy looks like it fits the bill but i'm wondering if there's maybe a cheaper alternative i'm missing because I only need it to record basic voice tracks. Although maybe that's not important

have you got a laptop? I'd ditch the phone idea and get a focusrite or something for cheaper.

That's kinda my point - i wanna ditch the laptop and go fully mobile. My phone/iPad has more processing power and portability than my mac and i'm not upgrading my laptop any time soon. Been investigating a little more - seems like that iRig duo does what I want it to. 2 XLR inputs to lighting connector with battery phantom power for the mics. Then I can use whatever app I want to record/mix. A focusrite can apparently be used with a phone/iPad with a few doohicky additions.

I would have thought there'd be plenty of solutions for this given the popularity of podcasting but it still seems very limited.

Pretty sure it's £100 down the drain so I may as well just write them an email calling them all a shower of cunts.

What was the outcome of this, if you don't mind me asking?

I recently got a refund via ebay for something similar. The seller sent something to me via "Parcel2Go". A number in place of a word is always the sign of a reputable brand. Tracking said "Delivered - Left in a safe place" online but didn't say where. No card through my door. I scoured my rear garden, knocked on my neighbours' door, it was nowhere to be seen. Phoned Parcel2Go and they couldn't tell me anything.

Got in touch with the seller. They didn't care, and gave me the whole "well they've said it was delivered, so..." and that was it. Got in touch with ebay, and I had a refund from them within 48 hours. I assume they then collect that refund from the seller, so they'll have to make a claim against the courier to not be at a loss, I guess. The 'ebay buyer protection' policy makes it almost impossible to get fobbed off on there.

If the seller hadn't have just shrugged it off, I'd have been more than willing to wait until they made the claim before expecting a refund, but since they didn't really give a stuff, I didn't feel so bad about ebay sorting it immediately.

If you get tight fisted and use pirate couriers on things you sell regularly, then you should expect to be out of pocket at one stage or another.

Shit houses.

I guess someones signature might have been the deal breaker. A bit short-sighted from ebay though, as that could have quite easily have been the couriers signature as he just lobbed it over a fence.

There wasn't one for the one I claimed for, just a courier saying they'd left it in a 'safe place', which I didn't agree to (I'm certain you have consent to the safe place first, and if you do, then liability switches to you. If they leave it there without consent, they are still liable until you collect it). There's the possibility it was delivered to me and then stolen from my garden, but I'd doubt it, given that we have two bikes in our garden that are not locked up. I'm sure they'd swipe the bikes over a jiffy bag with perfume in it.

I'd keep pushing it, if it were me. Post it on eBay's Facebook page. Bad PR on social media carries a lot of weight and companies often act quickly to resolve it - unless you're Easyjet, they don't give a shit.

Edited by Soda Jerk

6 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

What was the outcome of this, if you don't mind me asking?

I recently got a refund via ebay for something similar. The seller sent something to me via "Parcel2Go". A number in place of a word is always the sign of a reputable brand. Tracking said "Delivered - Left in a safe place" online but didn't say where. No card through my door. I scoured my rear garden, knocked on my neighbours' door, it was nowhere to be seen. Phoned Parcel2Go and they couldn't tell me anything.

Got in touch with the seller. They didn't care, and gave me the whole "well they've said it was delivered, so..." and that was it. Got in touch with ebay, and I had a refund from them within 48 hours. I assume they then collect that refund from the seller, so they'll have to make a claim against the courier to not be at a loss, I guess. The 'ebay buyer protection' policy makes it almost impossible to get fobbed off on there.

If the seller hadn't have just shrugged it off, I'd have been more than willing to wait until they made the claim before expecting a refund, but since they didn't really give a stuff, I didn't feel so bad about ebay sorting it immediately.

If you get tight fisted and use pirate couriers on things you sell regularly, then you should expect to be out of pocket at one stage or another.

Parcel2Go is just a courier comparison site/3rd party service, saying a parcel has been sent by "Parcel2Go" is like saying your car is insured by "Compare the Meerkat".  Seller probably didn't even send the item, at least you got your money back.  

Question: Anyone here done any peer to peer renting?  I've got a laptop on gumtree and have been asked if I'd rent it via a peer to peer rental site, I didn't even know this was a thing, anyone used such a service?  Now I'm not going to rent this laptop as I'd never get the value of it before it becomes obsolete and I'd be left with a laptop worth peanuts, if I ever got it back again but interested to see if these services are used much.  

11 hours ago, Cabbage said:

Question: Anyone here done any peer to peer renting?  I've got a laptop on gumtree and have been asked if I'd rent it via a peer to peer rental site, I didn't even know this was a thing, anyone used such a service?  Now I'm not going to rent this laptop as I'd never get the value of it before it becomes obsolete and I'd be left with a laptop worth peanuts, if I ever got it back again but interested to see if these services are used much.  

I recently listed an iPad and got the same kind of enquiry. Was pretty put off having never heard of or considered it before, but maybe I'm now just conditioned to think that everything I've not heard about is a scam.

On 11/15/2017 at 9:16 AM, Adam Easy Wishes said:

I recently listed an iPad and got the same kind of enquiry. Was pretty put off having never heard of or considered it before, but maybe I'm now just conditioned to think that everything I've not heard about is a scam.

I've been digging into the whole lending stuff business, it does appear to be a legit thing, apparently started by people renting out expensive camera gear to each other.   

Messages from random folk from gumtree don't instill confidence. I had another message about the laptop via Whatsapp (mobile number is on ad) asking me to email them if it is still available, so I have to add them on whatsapp and dish out my email because they don't want to press the "email" button on gumtree??  nah

Quick plumbing question...

Reasonably often, in the wee hours of the morning, the water supply to my flat is completely cut off and in the morning I need to bleed a heap of air out of my taps.

I've registered a problem with Scottish Water.

Pretty sure my cats aren't shutting the stopcock for shits & gig's.

Cheers dudes!

P.S. LOL. I said cock.

Edited by James Broonbreed

• 2 weeks later...