aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

5 minutes ago, James Broonbreed said:

Fuck that shit, I like being able to see properly.

I had a good pair but I lost them so now I'm either driving with standard sunglasses and blurry vision or in normal glasses and being dazzled. It's pretty great. 

Edited by Lemonade

6 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Anyone know it an opticians such as Specsavers, Vision Express etc would put prescription lenses in my own sunglasses? Like... If I bought a pair of sunglasses for 30 quid somewhere rather than paying 130 in there and just brought them in. I know Vision Express do it with Ray Bans but that's because they sell Ray Bans. 

Vision Express will put prescription lenses in other optician's frames, I got a set of crap lenses from local optician swapped out some decent ones at vision express without a problem.  

@Lemonade - I recently used ReglazeMyGlasses.com to do just that and they've been great. Had prescription sunglasses, my prescription changed so just got them to replace the lenses.

They have a terrible Comic Sans based logo but they're a GBOL so I let them off. Also reasonably cheap and there are often voucher codes at MoneySavingExpert.com.

13 hours ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

Who caused the raise in business rates for small businesses in Aberdeen, the council or Scottish government? 

Kinda both - the overall rates increase was brought in by the Scottish Government, but the local councils do have the ability to change those rates by way of tax relief schemes - all revenue from rates goes back tot he local councils so it's theirs to do with as they want (sort of).

As always in Aberdeen, the local council have decided to do less helping local businesses and more making a lot of noise about the bad government raising taxes, while also voting against tax relief schemes and chasing the Scottish government for their share of the money.

Short version - the Scottish Government raised the rates, Aberdeen Council kinda made it worse. Everyone's a bastard.

Edited by colb

1 minute ago, James Broonbreed said:

Any Berlin recommendations?

Not too interested in mega touristy things like the Reichstag & Checkpoint Charlie. Also not interested in nightclubs really so not aiming to queue outside Berghain for 3 hours to be told to fuck off by that mental bouncer chap.

Cheers folks

I hear Berlin can really take your breath away. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, James Broonbreed said:

Not too interested in mega touristy things like the Reichstag & Checkpoint Charlie. Also not interested in nightclubs really so not aiming to queue outside Berghain for 3 hours to be told to fuck off by that mental bouncer chap.

Cheers folks

East side gallery and the Ramones museum were highlights for me.

xx

3 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

Cheers folks

Second vote for Ramones museum.

Das Gift is a nice boozer owned by one of Mogwai.

Holocaust memorial is worth seeing (apart from all the cunts taking selfies on it).

Radisson Blu has a seventy foot tall aquarium in the middle of it, its a decent place to have a drink and watch fish if you need a relax.

This is touristy but also pretty cool - underground tour of bomb shelters and secret tunnels - http://berliner-unterwelten.de/#

1 hour ago, James Broonbreed said:

Already on the shortlist, my friend. Cheers though.

Is there any sort of defector simulator, where you can get liberated to the West in a skip hoisted over the wall by a crane? That'd be cool.

If you're there on a Sunday, you can go to this - http://coldwarsites.net/country/germany/museum-apartment-berlin - and then sneak into West Berlin, that's reasonably close.

Halfords is top of the list obviously....

Das Gift is also, genuinely, very high up the list - along with the rest of Kreuzberg. 

That Raddison aquarium looks pretty rad. If it's en route to somewhere else we'll maybe swing in past for a cheeky dook.

The secret tunnels also look cool, but I'd need to ensure I'm not hungover otherwise I'll probably freak out and piss myself.

• 2 weeks later...