aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Right, I'm trying to get an adapter so that I can use a regular land line phone as a skype phone. I got some Telbox Voip ATA thingy, but don't seem to be able to get Mac drivers for it. 

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing. It'll be a standalone Skype phone, so doesn't necessarily need a connection to the landline also.

Any help would be a beaut'.

• 2 weeks later...

Facebook makes you aware of things that are for sale in your area. It turns out, there's fuckloads of things being sold all the time, so you always have a notification. It seems to include you without asking, and It also seems there is no way out of it.

Seems to be an Apple exclusive, as my missus doesn't get it on her Samsung, nor me on my laptop. Thanks Apple.

1 hour ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Facebook makes you aware of things that are for sale in your area. It turns out, there's fuckloads of things being sold all the time, so you always have a notification. It seems to include you without asking, and It also seems there is no way out of it.

Seems to be an Apple exclusive, as my missus doesn't get it on her Samsung, nor me on my laptop. Thanks Apple.

Definitely, I'm Android and have never even heard of this. 

• 1 month later...

Getting rid of damp in walls: any top tips?

Unfortunately my tenants are complaining about damp which cleans off and returns after about a week.

There were absolutely no issues when I lived there for 2-3 years. I don't think it seems to be coming from the bottom up, so hopefully I can rule out rising damp.

We've scattered around some of those refillable dehumidifiers which may have slowed it, but not cured it.

2 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

Getting rid of damp in walls: any top tips?

Unfortunately my tenants are complaining about damp which cleans off and returns after about a week.

There were absolutely no issues when I lived there for 2-3 years. I don't think it seems to be coming from the bottom up, so hopefully I can rule out rising damp.

We've scattered around some of those refillable dehumidifiers which may have slowed it, but not cured it.

Can't really offer much advice on abolishing the cause, but I heartily recommend HG Mould Spray for the walls. I do my bathroom with it and it keeps it clear for about 6 months, and that's one mouldy bastard of a bathroom. Careful with it though it bleaches fabrics and rusts metal. OK on paint though. 

• Upvote 1

If you want to get an accurate diagnosis of exactly what is causing the damp, the dept I used to work at in the council, Private Sector Housing, can send an officer out to your property who will be able to tell you exactly what is causing it. Assuming it's a flat, it may well be a communal repair, if it is due to the structure of the building or the roof not being water tight, meaning all owners in the block will have to cough up a share if you wanted to go ahead with any work. The council will do a lot of the legwork in tracing owners for you as well. 

But at the very least, they'll tell you what is causing the damp. If it's just a blocked gutter or a cracked roof tile, it's a cheap fix, but if it's structural you'll want everyone else to chip in. 

• Upvote 3

It doesn't cost a jot to have a Private Housing officer come out, nor to have them trace owners for you.

Also, if you have an overseas landlord who conveniently ignores emails about repairs and money, the council can put up a missing share if they deem the repair to be integral to the safety of the building - damp/water ingress always are - and they'll chase the dodger for the money owed.

I can PM you a direct line to an officer if you like, so you don't have to go through the automated maze, and then probably end up speaking to one of the useless admin bints who will try to fob you off saying they can't help you. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

It doesn't cost a jot to have a Private Housing officer come out, nor to have them trace owners for you.

Also, if you have an overseas landlord who conveniently ignores emails about repairs and money, the council can put up a missing share if they deem the repair to be integral to the safety of the building - damp/water ingress always are - and they'll chase the dodger for the money owed.

I can PM you a direct line to an officer if you like, so you don't have to go through the automated maze, and then probably end up speaking to one of the useless admin bints who will try to fob you off saying they can't help you. 

That would be excellent!

This forum is really paying dividends.

James, we had problems for years with black mould on the bottoms of our walls. (We're in an old, stone-built property) Cooncil would come and treat them with special stuff, it lasted about six months then the problem started all over again. Four years ago they ripped down the old plaster and lath and fitted Kingspan along the outside walls then put up new plasterboard etc. Never had a problem since. It is expensive I would imagine, but a long term cure.