aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

2 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

But if it's quite clearly not gross misconduct. Is it at all possible for an employer, if they wanted to be dicks, to miss out verbal or written and go straight to dismissal.

Short answer - yes. If an employer wants to take a chance that an employee won't go to tribunal then they can do whatever they like.

Longer answer - Is it just your opinion that its not gross misconduct, have you checked your company disciplinary policy to make sure? most companies slip something fairly trivial in there to give them an out if they have someone they want rid of but who never does anything bad enough to get sacked for. 

Most companies will have breach of their internet or email policy listed as gross misconduct - because everyone breaches those 2 policies all the time it's an easy out.

However - if what's happened isn't listed in the policies and is trivial, then it would depend on previous employment and disciplinary history. In my experience if a company wants rid of you they generally can find a way to do it.  

Just like everything else, Employment law is mostly opinion (apart from wages, taxes holidays etc.) if a company thinks you won't take them to a tribunal they can do what they want and potentially get away with it.

Edited by colb

On 5/26/2016 at 2:13 PM, James Broonbreed said:

But if it's quite clearly not gross misconduct. Is it at all possible for an employer, if they wanted to be dicks, to miss out verbal or written and go straight to dismissal.

Physical assault is always going to be gross misconduct. I'd say losing your job is getting off lightly compared to landing up in court. I'd leave it there, or you still could.

2 minutes ago, Richard Pictures said:

Where in Aberdeen can I purchase a violin or cello bow?

I ordered a cheap one via Amazon and it broke in transit, so I'd be keen to be able to get one in person.

I'd guess Top Note on Crown Street would be the place to go for all that trad instrument stuff.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did I make it up or did someone post quite a while ago about a good website that shows you which airports it's cheapest to travel between that isn't Skyscanner? If it's real, then can someone please tell me what is the site I'm thinking of? I attempted to search on here, but it's tricky when there is a user called Flights.

Trying to figure out how to get to Philadelphia from Toronto for pretty cheap, but without flying directly. ie: bus to Buffalo and plane from there or something. 

7 minutes ago, kirsten said:

Did I make it up or did someone post quite a while ago about a good website that shows you which airports it's cheapest to travel between that isn't Skyscanner? If it's real, then can someone please tell me what is the site I'm thinking of? I attempted to search on here, but it's tricky when there is a user called Flights.

Trying to figure out how to get to Philadelphia from Toronto for pretty cheap, but without flying directly. ie: bus to Buffalo and plane from there or something. 

There are loads of Skyscanner-esque sites (although Skyscanner has seemed to me the cheapest). But if I'm thinking of the same post as you, I think whoever it was said that he uses Skyscanner to find flights, but then goes directly to the airline's website, searches for that flight/day, and tends to find it even cheaper.

9 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

I'm bored and thinking about starting an internet radio station. Just music ripped from my record collection, no talking.

Is this a completely futile, bullshit, waste of time endeavour? My gut instinct says it is.

Yes. Cos it won't be anywhere near as good as Radio Fenriz.

12 hours ago, scottyboy said:

There are loads of Skyscanner-esque sites (although Skyscanner has seemed to me the cheapest). But if I'm thinking of the same post as you, I think whoever it was said that he uses Skyscanner to find flights, but then goes directly to the airline's website, searches for that flight/day, and tends to find it even cheaper.

It's usually my go-to site and I've also gone straight to the airline through it (same with hotels and Expedia), but I seem to remember there being a website where you typed in your destination and it showed you which cities you can fly to there from that were cheapest. So it saved you looking up flights from your local airport and then just guessing nearby airports that it might be cheaper to fly from. 
I don't feel like I've just invented this, but maybe I didn't see someone on here mention it... If it is just some mental dream I've had, though, I'm going to make it a reality and become a billionaire.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kirsten said:

It's usually my go-to site and I've also gone straight to the airline through it (same with hotels and Expedia), but I seem to remember there being a website where you typed in your destination and it showed you which cities you can fly to there from that were cheapest. So it saved you looking up flights from your local airport and then just guessing nearby airports that it might be cheaper to fly from. 
I don't feel like I've just invented this, but maybe I didn't see someone on here mention it... If it is just some mental dream I've had, though, I'm going to make it a reality and become a billionaire.

It's probably just google flights you're after.