aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Anyone with an understanding of circuit breakers able to help: On my circuit breakers is b6, b16, b32. Am I right in thinking the number indicates the maximum ampage that anything over will trip the breaker?

You are right. It's all about the current that will be allowed to pass through the breaker without tripping it.

• Upvote 1

PC boffins. My laptop is amassing an enormous amount of temporary files. I ran CCleaner for the first time in 2 or 3 weeks at the weekend, and it got rid of 180GB of temp files. It took over 24 hours to run. I'm running CCleaner on a daily basis now, and it's getting rid of over 1.5GB of temp files per day, and it takes over an hour to run. I used to just run it once every fortnight or so, and it would take about 10 minutes, with nowhere near that amount of temporary files. How do I find out what's clogging everything up?

Edited by Soda van Jerk

I thought they were mostly outdoor badminton courts, will have another look :)

Would badminton work outdoors in NE Scotland?  Not a bit windy?

The council sports centres section off bits of the gym halls and put up nets for you I think.  When I used to do Tae Kwon Do the school was temporarily based at one of the sports centres and there was always badminton folk in before us.

Turns out Sport Aberdeen don't let you book badminton courts until 3 days prior, unless you're a member.  My chum and I are both at PureGym, and the other centers on the list given are too far for us to easily get to (we don't live near each other and neither drives).  Oh well, bum.

PC boffins. My laptop is amassing an enormous amount of temporary files. I ran CCleaner for the first time in 2 or 3 weeks at the weekend, and it got rid of 180GB of temp files. It took over 24 hours to run. I'm running CCleaner on a daily basis now, and it's getting rid of over 1.5GB of temp files per day, and it takes over an hour to run. I used to just run it once every fortnight or so, and it would take about 10 minutes, with nowhere near that amount of temporary files. How do I find out what's clogging everything up?

Installed anything new recently? 180GB of temp files is insane. 

Installed anything new recently? 180GB of temp files is insane. 

The only new thing I've installed in a few months is the AdBlocker app on Google Chrome. I haven't even downloaded anything in ages. All I use on it is Chrome, Spotify and Football Manager.

Ran the thorough scan on Avast, and it didn't find anything malicious or infected.

The only new thing I've installed in a few months is the AdBlocker app on Google Chrome. I haven't even downloaded anything in ages. All I use on it is Chrome, Spotify and Football Manager.

Ran the thorough scan on Avast, and it didn't find anything malicious or infected.

If CCleaner is setup to delete the windows hibernate file (hiberfil.sys) then this might account for the 1.5GB daily.  I think a Windows hibernate file sits around 80% of the RAM of your machine so this would roughly match up if you have a 2GB machine.

If you don't ever use Hibernate on your PC you can disable it from the command line by typing: powercfg -h off (full instructions here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html).  Once disabled you can restart your machine and check if that's helped.

This may not be what's causing the temp file issues but it's a nice piece of house-keeping none-the-less.

Has anyone ever had a smartphone repaired by a third-party shop in Aberdeen?

My network can't repair my destroyed screen, apparently, so I either have to go straight to the manufacturer or a third-party. I'm pretty wary of these joints on George St., etc., but I figure they'll be a lot cheaper, and maybe some of you have some good/bad experiences you could share?

Has anyone ever had a smartphone repaired by a third-party shop in Aberdeen?

My network can't repair my destroyed screen, apparently, so I either have to go straight to the manufacturer or a third-party. I'm pretty wary of these joints on George St., etc., but I figure they'll be a lot cheaper, and maybe some of you have some good/bad experiences you could share?

Timpsons do screen repairs for iPhone not sure about other smartphones. Guess you'd have to ask them. Not had one done myself but I have been there when folk have been collecting and they seem happy enough!