aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

That bit of coverage on Channel 4 news seemed to suggest that this particular area of London, whilst being a poor area, is also littered with quite a number of niche/"hipster" businesses, so the whole "poorest area of London" argument is weak.

I probably wouldn't go, but I can see why people would. I can't see why people are so mad about it.

"everything that is wrong with the world"

People who use this phrase are... everything that is wrong with the world.

It's the go-to phrase for people who like to maintain a condescending distance from everything but don't quite have the intelligence to form real opinions on the things they dislike.

That bit of coverage on Channel 4 news seemed to suggest that this particular area of London, whilst being a poor area, is also littered with quite a number of niche/"hipster" businesses, so the whole "poorest area of London" argument is weak.

I probably wouldn't go, but I can see why people would. I can't see why people are so mad about it.

Rents in London are so high that any of the "poor" areas are full of students (and barristas and so on). I Googled the cafe and it's in Shoreditch, one of the best known bohemian (trying not to use the h-word) areas. The next tube station is Bethnal Green, which is still pretty grim looking, rammed with small Asian businesses, and there's a Unite 200+-a-week student property right in the centre.

(so I agree, basically)

Edited by scottyboy

Yeah, the news/media just flapped their gums as usual, no substance to most of what they say. As usual though it gets retweeted/shared around the world via morons on the Internet who haven't read/don't understand the issues.

(I was being sarcastic in my initial post in case that didn't come across)

Yeah, the news/media just flapped their gums as usual, no substance to most of what they say. As usual though it gets retweeted/shared around the world via morons on the Internet who haven't read/don't understand the issues.

(I was being sarcastic in my initial post in case that didn't come across)

It did come across, as I can't picture you (or anyone) using the phrase "the humanity!" in a serious context. I was just commenting further on the general argument you were making fun of.