aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Where is a good place in Aberdeen to have a birthday party? I no longer have a flat in town, and asking someone else to use theirs seems cheeky.

I'm expecting great replies here, folks!

Wimpy at Codonas?

Seriously though, what sort of vibe are you looking for? Could you hire Cellar 35 and put on a band or two? Function room at Portals?

Depends what you're after really I guess.

Anti-virus on Android tablet - necessary?

It is nessessary! The google play store isn't as secure as the apple App Store. Meaning, apple apps are tested and made sure they are safe for customers to download where as the google play store isn't. It's apparently really easy to make a fraudulent app and it'll reveal some information you may not want others to see. That's why they warn you even when downloading a free app.

Not only that, it's handy for web browsing too, stops anyone sharing a public wifi for seeing what you're getting upto.

Edited by brettthain1

I know it is the age old question of this thread but just in case the answer has changed from last time: can anyone recommend a decent, not horrendously expensive record player/speaker set up?

My cheapo Steepletone thing is on the way out. Mega squeaky, thought it was just needed a new stylus but I think it's a problem with something inside because it does it even when the needle is up and usually only with more heavyweight records. Boo-urns.

I know it is the age old question of this thread but just in case the answer has changed from last time: can anyone recommend a decent, not horrendously expensive record player/speaker set up?

My cheapo Steepletone thing is on the way out. Mega squeaky, thought it was just needed a new stylus but I think it's a problem with something inside because it does it even when the needle is up and usually only with more heavyweight records. Boo-urns.

What do you mean by 'not horrendously expensive' i.e. what sort of price range would be reasonable?

Do you just need a turntable or do you need some other kit e.g. amp, speakers etc?

Bleurgh, someone just buy me something and I'll pay you back later, alright? Seriously though, thanks, mins. Wasn't sure which brands were best to look out for if any. Secondhand would be fine if I figure out what I'm looking for. Most people I know have inherited their turntables from family/friends and they all seem to miraculously last for years.

Bleurgh, someone just buy me something and I'll pay you back later, alright? Seriously though, thanks, mins. Wasn't sure which brands were best to look out for if any. Secondhand would be fine if I figure out what I'm looking for. Most people I know have inherited their turntables from family/friends and they all seem to miraculously last for years.

Amps: Denon, Marantz, Sony

Speakers: Mission, Tannoy, JBL

Turntable: Project, Sony, Rega

You will definitely have to look around but there's always folks shifting things on for cheap.

Thanks, pals! Lots of research to do but you've given me a better idea of what to look for.

If you're in Edinburgh you could try Richer Sounds on Chambers Street?

They do pretty good deals and will generally chop off some cash if you're buying a few things. Also, they're right into the black Friday thing - which is this Friday...........

That's a particularly good shout. It was the only place I could think of for this sort of thing in Edinburgh, so them doing Black Friday is even better...

Ooh, I will hit you up soon, Rybear! Once I get my shit together on the turntable front.

On a similar note; can anyone tell me if DAC's really make that much of a difference?

Seems to get debated a lot.  I think a good one improves the sound - seems to make it a bit fuller and smoother, more CD like I suppose.  I use one (an Arcam irDAC, which is a fairly expensive one) and I'm glad that I do.  I put my CD player (a reasonably good Denon one) through it and can easily switch back and forth between the CD player on its own and with the DAC.  It's a slight but definite step up in sound quality with the DAC.  For MP3s off my computer it makes a definite improvement and I also use it for my TV.