aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

nvm...i was ideally looking for some kind of recommendation from people on here (a site they've used maybe or simply some information) not a google search term but thanks anyway.

How into it are you looking to get?

If you want to be "serious" about it all, then you'll need to change your diet etc...

If you're just looking to increase your general fitness, then sticking with your running is not a bad idea. But if you're actually looking to gain muscle mass (I'm afraid there is no such thing as toning a muscle, a toned muscle is just a muscle with no fat around so you can actually see it), then I can let you know a few excercises to do that will help you out.

nvm...i was ideally looking for some kind of recommendation from people on here (a site they've used maybe or simply some information) not a google search term but thanks anyway.

Most of the information I have has been through finding things - via google - on the internet. Then I picked the best bits that worked for me.

Try doing jumping jacks for an hour and then squat thrusts for half an hour. Better?

How into it are you looking to get?

If you want to be "serious" about it all, then you'll need to change your diet etc...

If you're just looking to increase your general fitness, then sticking with your running is not a bad idea. But if you're actually looking to gain muscle mass (I'm afraid there is no such thing as toning a muscle, a toned muscle is just a muscle with no fat around so you can actually see it), then I can let you know a few excercises to do that will help you out.

I run a lot, play football twice a week and eat well so its not a lifestyle change. I just want to know some gym based exercises/a good resource to work out a routine because ive never really been a gym person and wouldnt know what exercises to do, in what order and for how long.

Question: can anyone recommend a good all round workout routine? - a bit of cardio, some muscle toning, etc.

For cardio, bearing in mind I use my lunch hour, I use mens health lunch time triathlon, in fact I often browse the website for ideas when I'm on a health kick http://www.menshealth.co.uk/fitness/cardio-exercise/lunchtime-triathlon-workout

I appreciate that you have no pool or bike in the gym but the principle should be the same. A group of short high intensity bursts with rest periods in between. 

lamp posts as markers are good for being out running on the street. Jog 1, sprint 2 etc etc, I find this mixed in during a longer run can help break the monotony.   

Rowing with bad tekkers can be really bad for you as one of the instructors pointed out to me during a row, so I tend to avoid the rowing machine at my gym now. 

As for toning I cant help much as I am looking to loose some baby fat (it's not just women who put on a few pounds during pregnancy alright!!) before I hit the weights. 

• Upvote 1

I run a lot, play football twice a week and eat well so its not a lifestyle change. I just want to know some gym based exercises/a good resource to work out a routine because ive never really been a gym person and wouldnt know what exercises to do, in what order and for how long.

Bloody hell, I started on a huge response for you and it all got lost.

Shortened version.

2-3 weight sessions a week with your other exercise would be great. Ideally 2 upper body and a leg session. Sessions tend to be about 4-6 exercises and about ten minutes per exercise, you'll have to dabble to know how many reps you can manage per set, but doing 4xsets of either 8,10,12,15,20 reps is on the money depending on your strength. Have a google for these terms to look at form guide and if your gym equipment suits. Always mix up what you're doing (as in changing exercise each time, not doing mixed session of some leg some body).

Upper body:

Bicep curls

Tricep curls

Neck press

Dead lifts

Arnie press

Chest press

Bent over row

Flys

Shoulder press

Legs:

Leg extensions

Leg curls

Squats

Narrow press

Wide press

Calf press

Weighted lunges

Farmer walk

Most of these exercises have different variations so good to have a look about. Men's health is pretty good for a lot of advice.

• Upvote 1

When I got bored with running, I used some of the strength exercises I found on www.nerdfitness.com - loads of good info on nutrition as well if the paleo diet is something that floats your boat.

I incorporated some of the bodyweight stuff with some free weight exercises I really enjoyed. I plan to get back into it once I'm running longer distances as well and then really get back into it once I've reached my goal of running the marathon.  

• Upvote 1

I've got Sky in the front room, and I also want to have it in the back bedroom. How's the simplest way to go about it? Reading online seems to have a lot of conflicting info, and lots of different methods. I don't mind if it's only standard definition, as powered HDMI splitters and long cables seems to get a bit expensive.

Am I right in thinking I just need one of these and a decent length of standard coaxial aerial cable?

I've got Sky in the front room, and I also want to have it in the back bedroom. How's the simplest way to go about it? Reading online seems to have a lot of conflicting info, and lots of different methods. I don't mind if it's only standard definition, as powered HDMI splitters and long cables seems to get a bit expensive.

Am I right in thinking I just need one of these and a decent length of standard coaxial aerial cable?

You could set up a few well positioned mirrors so you can see the TV from another room.

• Upvote 1

That's only good if you dont want to watch something else in the other room.

That's only good if you dont want to watch something else in the other room.

Yeah, that wouldn't be an issue. It'd just be for watching telly in bed, instead of the crackly, grainy Freeview we currently have. And there's sod all on Freeview either.

Having a look into it, it's not standard coaxial aerial cable I need, is it? I need that type with the really thin prong, whatever that is called.

It is co-ax cable just terminated differently. You can get the connector at Maplin or possibly PC World.

If you really wanted to and had a spare box, you could run another cable from your dish and just swap the card over, you would need two cables for HD.

You would need to pair the card each time surely?