aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Does anyone have any information on funding for a postgraduate course as a mature student?  SAAS are a bit vague on whether they will pay the tuition fees, as some courses get funding and it all depends on the university etc...

What about bursary/loan - do you get any support at all?

My student chums are all nursing staff, so their advice isn't applicable. 

Yeah, online info seems to be pretty vague if you're anything but a first time undergrad.

Does anyone have any information on funding for a postgraduate course as a mature student?  SAAS are a bit vague on whether they will pay the tuition fees, as some courses get funding and it all depends on the university etc...

What about bursary/loan - do you get any support at all?

My student chums are all nursing staff, so their advice isn't applicable. 

I think if it's just a 'regular' PG course then I'd be surprised if SAAS offer any funding (they may do for things like teaching or medical degrees but probably not for much else).  A specific taught programme may sometimes have a few bursaries attached to it that you could apply for.  This seems to be getting less common these days though and are likely to be very competitive.  Otherwise you could potentially take out a career development loan for some courses but these aren't available for everything and I think you still have to argue a case for getting one.

If you go the whole hog and decide to do a PhD then you will probably have more options, but basically everything is very competitive.

Is it a taught postgraduate course you're looking at doing initially?

If you're going back to Aberdeen you get an alumni discount. All other scholarships and that are here: www.abdn.ac.uk/funding

You can apply for a Student Loan, but that's just more debt really.

I was self-funded, and most of my friends got AHRC funding which is generally arts-specific. Any scholarships applicable would be on the uni funding page in any event. 

I found that e-mailing the course coordinator was pretty fruitful.  They'll have a pretty good idea about funding, or be able to pass you onto someone who knows their stuff.

If it's a post-grad that follows directly from your degree though, I don't think you'll have any problem at all getting the course paid for.

It'd be for RGU, so no alumni discount, and should hopefully get a call from the course co-ordinator soon - I emailed them last night asking to speak to someone and they were pretty quick with a response. 

There is some mention of d bursaries, but it's all rather vague.  Once I get some more information about the course, and if I'm suitable to apply I'll get on the case about funding.

I'm just concerned that last time I had to work full time during my undergraduate, and that caused a lot of stress and health issues - I'd really want to focus on the degree and do my best.  I'm probably jumping too far ahead at the moment!

Thanks for the info :)

I found that e-mailing the course coordinator was pretty fruitful.  They'll have a pretty good idea about funding, or be able to pass you onto someone who knows their stuff.

If it's a post-grad that follows directly from your degree though, I don't think you'll have any problem at all getting the course paid for.

Agree about emailing the programme coordinator but disagree about the ease with which you can get a PG course paid for.  In most subjects it's extremely hard and in ones where it might be easier (e.g. science or engineering) then I expect you'd still need a very good first degree grade.

Agree about emailing the programme coordinator but disagree about the ease with which you can get a PG course paid for.  In most subjects it's extremely hard and in ones where it might be easier (e.g. science or engineering) then I expect you'd still need a very good first degree grade.

Ah, right enough.  Thinking about it, all the post-grads I know did scientific subjects.

so why was my post deleted?

sometimes this place is nothing but a popularity contest

may as well just ban me from posting since 80% of the time my posts get deleted.

Because this is the quick questions thread. You've already had a page worth of 'which jacket should I buy', we don't need any more. Just buy whatever jacket you like most.

Because this is the quick questions thread. You've already had a page worth of 'which jacket should I buy', we don't need any more. Just buy whatever jacket you like most.

i was asking in reference to spec & brands from peoples personal experience or owning/having owned a 3 in 1.

tbh it's all "who you are" I've seen some shit posted that wouldn't get deleted but as i said comes down to who you are. majority of time I get sarky comments like "use google" - that could be said for pretty much any question.

• Upvote 1