aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Ah, okay. I misunderstood. 

So what Supporters and Sponsors (and Staff for that matter) can do is change their Display Name (e.g. MilnerD). This is the name that appears as the author of yours posts (this is not to be confused with your login name - which is normally the same, but can't be changed).

What you can't do is change your rank title which is what "Active Member", "Newbie" etc is. Staff can change this, but to be honest I'm not keen on this and I'll probably be resetting these back to match the ranks. Otherwise it's just going to get confusing (and that's my fault for not telling anyone how this all works beforehand!).

Milner, I notice you still have your old, banned account on here. Do you want me to combine the two accounts? That way all your posts will be associated with one account again.

Are you going to combine it with "theghostofcobain" as well? Ahem cough cough..... :angel:

Fair point.

As we now have the ability to combine user accounts this offer is open to anyone with multiple accounts. If you would like them combined into a single account then please let me know.

And may I remind people, having multiple accounts registered on the web site is not permitted. Consider this a multiple account amnesty period!

For people who have moved from one mobile network to another (on a contract):

Do you buy the new phone on the new network before calling your old network and asking for a PAC and asking them to cancel your contract? Or do you ask for your PAC, then go get your new phone on the new network?

I've been with Orange forever, just about to move to 3.

why are you moving to 3?  don't you like getting a phone signal?

Unlimited data and tethering for much the same price I pay now for fuck all data.  3 and EE share coverage so my signal should, in theory, be as good as it is now.  Besides in Banchory I mostly use wifi at home, the bulk of my mobile usage is in Aberdeen.

For people who have moved from one mobile network to another (on a contract):

Do you buy the new phone on the new network before calling your old network and asking for a PAC and asking them to cancel your contract? Or do you ask for your PAC, then go get your new phone on the new network?

I've been with Orange forever, just about to move to 3.

I think you have to get the new sim then request your PAC.

Unlimited data and tethering for much the same price I pay now for fuck all data. 3 and EE share coverage so my signal should, in theory, be as good as it is now. Besides in Banchory I mostly use wifi at home, the bulk of my mobile usage is in Aberdeen.

I seem to recall that the reason 3's network coverage can be patchy is because they only provide 3G services and no 2G network to fall back on.

I seem to recall that the reason 3's network coverage can be patchy is because they only provide 3G services and no 2G network to fall back on.

They have a roaming agreement with Orange which would allow a phone to switch to their network for 2G coverage if there's no 3 connection. Though I believe they're starting to switch that off where they think their 3G coverage is good enough.

I'm not sure if they actually have terrible coverage or if it's a perception that's just stuck with them since their inception that's no longer accurate.

Main thing is I mostly use my phone for internets and Orange give shit amount of internets for lots of money. 3 give all the internets for a reasonable amount of money. Plus their 3G network can reach speeds 80% of 4G and they have promised to rollout 4G without raising their contract prices (unlike EE's blatant profiteering on their 4G monopoloy).

Would that not then be subject to extra charges for data roaming if you use it for internets?

I don't think it's roaming in the charge you heaps of cash sense, more that you can use their network as though you were in a 3 area.  Wouldn't be using data over 2G anyway as it's too slow.

why are you moving to 3?  don't you like getting a phone signal?

I hope using your phone in Banchory is not important to you.

Incorrect, i do work in Banchory from time to time and have never had signal problems on 3, i also live in Portlethen and have no signal problems. I've been with 3 since i came back to the UK in 2004 and the signal in the middle of nowhere was atrocious back in those days. That changed about 5 years ago and as i have a job that requires me covering the whole east coast of Scotland i can accurately say that the signal coverage/quality for 3 is very consistent now. I have a lot less positive things to say about EE though as their signal is appaling and is the bane of my life on my work phone.

Would that not then be subject to extra charges for data roaming if you use it for internets?

No.