aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Fatboy, my advice would be to work out roughly what times shops around do their reductions and time your shopping for then. You'll get a much better variety of food than the handful of things left at the end of the night to go into the bins. It has the bonus of being less minky and legal too.

I just read that Buckfast is not included in the minimum alcohol pricing thing - are the Scottish Government really this stupid?

I think that, like whiskey, it's already rather expensive for the units of alcohol that are actually in it. See this Guardian article for more info: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/may/14/scotland-minimum-alcohol-price-effect

Here's the bit that matters:

...Buckfast fortified wine - cited in 5,000 crime reports in Scotland - which, at an average price of £7.09 per bottle, is priced at over 60p per unit as it is.

Fatboy, my advice would be to work out roughly what times shops around do their reductions and time your shopping for then. You'll get a much better variety of food than the handful of things left at the end of the night to go into the bins. It has the bonus of being less minky and legal too.

aye, there's a couple of reduced sections in asda that have loads of cheap sandwiches and stuff.

Im now in Houston for a week - does anyone have any tips for good places to go for a pint? They probably don't serve Tennents anywhere but it would be a boost if they did.

If you're staying out Memorial City way, you could go to the Yard House. They have like 50 taps and half-yard glasses.

Someone help plz. I'm a student with a part time job but I just got a full time internship for the next 12 weeks. If I decide to ruin my summer and work 7 days a week in both jobs (urgh) do I automatically get taxed on the full time one as it's technically my 2nd job? Or do you get taxed on the job you earn less in? If anyone knows and can save me a tedious phone call to HMRC tomorrow I'll be thrilled.

I found a pub in Dublin that serves Tennents a couple weeks ago, I got all excited and ordered a pint, took me one taste to remember how much I fucking hate Tennents.

Tennents Super is everywhere in Florence. It's really fucking weird. You can buy it in just about every bar or supermarket. One of the most beautiful places in the world and everyone is walking around drinking Big T. Crazy Italians.

Someone help plz. I'm a student with a part time job but I just got a full time internship for the next 12 weeks. If I decide to ruin my summer and work 7 days a week in both jobs (urgh) do I automatically get taxed on the full time one as it's technically my 2nd job? Or do you get taxed on the job you earn less in? If anyone knows and can save me a tedious phone call to HMRC tomorrow I'll be thrilled.

You'll only get taxed once you earn over £8,105 in a year I think. After that you'll get taxed on both jobs.

• Upvote 1

You'll only get taxed once you earn over £8,105 in a year I think. After that you'll get taxed on both jobs.

Further reading indicates this could very well be the case! I'd got it into my head for some reason that there's a second job tax, but hopefully that's completely wrong.

Further reading indicates this could very well be the case! I'd got it into my head for some reason that there's a second job tax, but hopefully that's completely wrong.

Well if you get paid on both jobs you will probably will get taxed. If you are on a PAYE tax code which you almost certainly will be, earning over £130 or there abouts (it was £125 last year but the allowance went up so can't be bothered to recalculate it) then you have to pay tax and national insurance. if however your income reduces to under the limit then they start refunding the tax you paid. So while the £8000 allowance is there, if at some point your allowance goes over the rough montly total to reach that allowance then you do pay tax which can be given back to you later.

Hope that makes sense!

• Upvote 1

Well if you get paid on both jobs you will probably will get taxed. If you are on a PAYE tax code which you almost certainly will be, earning over £130 or there abouts (it was £125 last year but the allowance went up so can't be bothered to recalculate it) then you have to pay tax and national insurance. if however your income reduces to under the limit then they start refunding the tax you paid. So while the £8000 allowance is there, if at some point your allowance goes over the rough montly total to reach that allowance then you do pay tax which can be given back to you later.

Hope that makes sense!

I think so! So essentially I'll probably get taxed because I'm earning quite a bit in a short period of time, but I'm likely to receive this back come September when I go back to earning barely anything...right?

I think so! So essentially I'll probably get taxed because I'm earning quite a bit in a short period of time, but I'm likely to receive this back come September when I go back to earning barely anything...right?

Exactly. Good luck with the internship!