aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Yeah turn data roaming off and you should be fine. My phone also has a section on how to configure to the internet and has wifi/mobile network etc and I just turn everything off unless I want to use it. Saves you connecting to the internet by accident when playing a game and the like and also stops apps updating using your precious bandwidth. At least at home on wifi it is free no matter how much crap gets updated.

I'm going on holiday tonight. I haven't been abroad in over 10 years. Should I just leave my phone at home? I've heard folk coming home to massive phone bills. Some guff about data roaming. I'm not going to call or text anyone, but I'm going to miss a few Euros games, so it'd be handy to be able to read up on what's going on. But I'd rather not have a massive bill, so would leave it at home if that's the case.

Phone your mobile provider and ask them to put a data bar on your phone if you want to be really sure. Smartphones will connect themselves to the internet in your pocket and ring up a huge bill even when you're not using them. Remember as well when you're abroad (Africa I think you said?) you'll be charged for receiving calls as well as making them. Even if it goes to your voicemail you'll be charged, so switch off your voicemail if you're taking it. And you'll probably be about £1 per minute or part of minute to call out, so if you are making calls and goes to a voicemail, you'll be charged.

I work in the call centre of a mobile company. We get many many calls from people with huge bills from roaming.

I'm going on holiday tonight. I haven't been abroad in over 10 years. Should I just leave my phone at home? I've heard folk coming home to massive phone bills. Some guff about data roaming. I'm not going to call or text anyone, but I'm going to miss a few Euros games, so it'd be handy to be able to read up on what's going on. But I'd rather not have a massive bill, so would leave it at home if that's the case.

I'm pretty sure you'll get international news channels/papers over there.

That is minky!

the food is usually still packaged when chucked so the products have no contamination, where your chips and cheese might have other shit in it :/

Yeah but it's still theft, and it's still thrown in with a whole heap of other nasty shit. We used to get 'freegans' all the time around the back of the copey, but we just locked the bins. Half the stuff in there is out of date, or mixed in with messy shite, broken glass etc. Very rarely would you open up a bin to find just some bread thats only a day out of date, or something like that. Not worth it, don't do it, especially as if someone decides to prosecute you've already been in trouble wi the law.

A lot of supermarkets use packets of blue dye to stain the food once it's in the bin. I know Costco use a compactor too, so cakes that are a day out are squished up. I'm pretty sure most would have CCTV now too... You really don't want to chance getting another charge for something as daft as stealing rubbish.

Who the fuck would press charges for stealing rubbish..?

xx

Seems daft to me an' aw. I'm going to guess it's because stealing rubbish is probably the epitome of minkiness. Oh, that and their bins are still their property and if you fall off them while trying to nick their shite you could possibly get them on negligence? I DON'T KNOW

That's a fucking ace idea!

I cut my hand on the broken glass in ASDAs bin trying to rescue some slightly out-of-date sandwiches from their bins. Give me £1,000,000.00.

xx

But then they can counter-diddle you for attempted theft. Nae luck.

I'll tell you why we'd prosecute: if it's not a problem for people to just take Out of date food, then people (staff) start chucking stuff out, or hiding it until its out of date, so that they can get themselves a free meal with no repercussions. If it was fine just to take food from the bin then people would just throw stuff out on purpose knowing they could get it gratis later, and there's no way you can keep a lid on what everyone's binning all of the time.

A lot of places have relationships set up w/local charities to distribute food near its sell by date to the homeless and needy, etc. End of the day it's still the companies bins and the companies property, so don't be a clarty bastard.

I'll tell you why we'd prosecute: if it's not a problem for people to just take Out of date food, then people (staff) start chucking stuff out, or hiding it until its out of date, so that they can get themselves a free meal with no repercussions. If it was fine just to take food from the bin then people would just throw stuff out on purpose knowing they could get it gratis later, and there's no way you can keep a lid on what everyone's binning all of the time.

A lot of places have relationships set up w/local charities to distribute food near its sell by date to the homeless and needy, etc. End of the day it's still the companies bins and the companies property, so don't be a clarty bastard.

This. From a shop's point of view they would much rather you went inside and purchased a cake than nabbing one that is a day out of date FROM A BIN, by the way. We're talking about taking food out of bins. X(

Fuck that, if you can get in the bins and get some free grub. Sweet. It's not gone to waste which is great. I see your point though about staff.

Yeah? Same bin that's had thousands of pounds of waste in it over a period of years, more likely than not with insects and a residual scum at the bottom of it? Not to mention the fact they chuck out all sorts of shit with the food, broken glass, etc.

And it's still the companies property! Doesn't matter whether or not it's getting used, you have no right to take it! From a personal point of view, would you not be utterly, utterly ashamed if someone caught you raking in a bin?

There's a site which deals with day out of date food, order it from there.