aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

another quick question

so i have a bike and the tyre keeps going flat even when i dont ride it.

like today i pumped it up and put it back in the garage and its flat again.

i'm guessing a puncture?

anyone know where i can get it fixed and roughly how much? (assuming halfords?)

Buy a puncture repair kit for like £3.

Take the tyre off.

Inflate it.

Put the innertube in a bucket of water to find the puncture.

Glue a patch over it.

Ride off into the sunset.

• Upvote 1

There is nothing really bad that can happen to a bike tyre, worst case is you will need a new tube or tyre or both, but they are pretty cheap, just make sure you get the right size.

If its a puncture repair its easy to do, go buy a puncture repair kit from Halfords, it will come with things that you use to take the tyre off.

Take the wheel off but loosening the nuts, if its the back wheel its a bit trickier, you have to take the chain off the gears at the back.

After you have the wheel off use the tyre leavers and pull the edge of the tyre over the edge of the wheel, the tyre should be inside the rim of the wheel at the moment, your simply pulling over the rim of the wheel, do that on both sides until the the tyre is loose, then take it off and pull the inner tube out. Check the inside of the tyre for anything sharp just incase something is stuck in there.

Fill a basin of water and inflate the tube a bit, put it in the water and see where the puncture is.

Take it out and dry properly, use the small crayon that will be in the kit to mark the puncture so you dont loose where it is. The kit should have a small piece of sandpaper with it, gently sand the punctured area, not rough, just enough to scratch the surface, use the glue and glue the right size of patch so it covers the area, let it dry, then go through the process of inflating and putting it in water until your sure its fixed.

For putting it back on i always inflate the tube slightly when im putting it back on, just enough so the tube doesnt flap around, the put the tyre round the wheel and use the tyre leavers to pop it back under the rim of the wheel and inflate it properly.

Jobs a good 'un.

I used to re-build old bikes when i was younger, i used to love it, sorting breaks, and getting the gears right and stuff like that, could spend hours in my old man's garage sorting them out.

Guest Bob Knob
and where do i get a new inner tube and how do i know what size.

are men born with a special skill on how to do all this!? XD

No, they were born with Google.

• Upvote 3

^ u say it like its easy. u forget i'm a woman. i dont have the tools needed to unbolt a wheel. i dont even know what tools are needed to unbolt a wheel! :p

You are the most backward and anti-feminist poster on this site at times, and you're female. It's sorta depressing.

^ u say it like its easy. u forget i'm a woman. i dont have the tools needed to unbolt a wheel. i dont even know what tools are needed to unbolt a wheel! :p

Maybe best take the whole bike to Holborn Cycles, Halfords or Edinburgh Bike Chain or something. It'll probably cost just under 10 quid overall, and at least your bike will work properly.

Yea asda and tesco have them for very cheap atm think £1.50

use a measuring tape or something to measure the diameter of the wheel, then buy the tube with the same diameter.

sometimes bikes have quick release on their wheels, sometimes its just a 13mm nut, unclasp the brake calliper, remove the wheels. Remove the tyre, remove the inner tube. Put new one back on. Reassemble bike.

Here's how I do it.

I use my cock to smash the wheel off the frame

I use my cock to lever the the tyre off the wheel

Piss all over it to find a leak

Beat it with my cock to repair the leak

Throw it in a skip, take the bus to the pub, drink forty pints, punch a bird.

#lads4lyfe

• Upvote 10