aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

I can imagine that unless you have a soundguy who's a lover of Cobain-esque feedback solos to close out sets, then when you rack up the gain and your amp starts to squeal he'll just kill the sound. I would. If you're gonna try stuff like that and you aren't time travelling back to the 90's then I'd work out more-or-less what you're planning to tweak on your pedals, get the effect to a point where you can reproduce the same thing each time and during soundcheck let the engineer know what he's up against.

/2p.

xx

To be honest man as long as your not going completely nuts with it i cant see many having a huge issue, what you did on sunday wont destroy any equipment and shouldnt really annoy the sound guy, just dont put the volume and gain up to 11 and you should be ok. Its prob a good idea to run past the sound guy anyway before we start.

Oh there hopefully shouldn't befeedback. Just an almost intolerable amount of overdriven low end.

Fixed. And as I said, run it by the engineer and it'd likely be fine. Just think of them as the extra member of the band who needs to know everything major that's going to happen and whom you under NO circumstances what to irritate or surprise.

xx

Why does the volume have to be changed/upped? If the amp is mic'd or DI'd, then upping the volume on something which has already been line checked isn't really so wise. I'd say a sound man would be a bit hacked off. Can't you just do it at the same volume you're pedals/amp is already set to?

In general, it sounds a bit dumb unless you're an established headline band. Support slot bands shouldn't outstay their welcome. 20 minutes and you're gone.

• Upvote 1

I most definitely won't be doing it in any 20 minute first gig support slots. But it's good to know for the future. As I was trying it out at practice and it was sounding pretty cool.

I guess I could lower the level as I increase the gain. But then how will I hammer fuck out of all 4 bass strings at once???

Nothing says "rock and roll" like checking with the soundman if it's okay to 'fuck up' your pedals.

I'm sure Hendrix checked with the HSE guys and filled out the forms before setting his guitar on fire.

Nothing says "rock and roll" like checking with the soundman if it's okay to 'fuck up' your pedals.

I'm sure Hendrix checked with the HSE guys and filled out the forms before setting his guitar on fire.

Think of it more as giving the sound engineer a heads-up that you're going to be taking your gear into previously unexplored heights of volume, so they can be prepared to back off the gain and protect the PA equipment if need be.

I'm also pretty sure Hendrix would have had

a) His own engineer

b) A manager with enough cash to pay for any damage caused.

Or, to put it another way, if you give the sound engineer fair warning your going to chunk up the signal, it's their fault if the PA gets borked.

• Upvote 1

Think of it more as giving the sound engineer a heads-up that you're going to be taking your gear into previously unexplored heights of volume, so they can be prepared to back off the gain and protect the PA equipment if need be.

a) His own engineer

Or, to put it another way, if you give the sound engineer fair warning your going to chunk up the signal, it's their fault if the PA gets borked.

Thank you.

a) His own engineer

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

On an unrelated note:

Why don't the mods bring back the Wasteland?

I absolutely understand the desire to NOT have shit patter and in-jokes on the site - the goal is to make it a useful tool for the music community. That said, if the wasteland (or a similar dumping ground for stupid threads) were there, then a mod could move the thread there to be filled with all the tired poop jokes and $hutt£r$p££d jokes in the universe. You could even add function to NOT update the "recently active" threads with wasteland stuff, don't let members watch them so it's a concious effort to look if you want that kind of thing.

I find some of the banter pretty painful, but some people find my banter shit too - if fun threads are closed it risks turning members off to the site. If there's a General Discussion area for useful threads like this, and a seperate dumping ground for lad banter, then don't you get the best of both worlds? New members see the useful, helpful community but if members like me feel there's nothing useful or informative to discuss I can still go to a safe haven and show JakeBassist pictures of big poops i has dun, without buggering off to another site.

Just a thought and it'd be entirely understandable if the mods and owners of the site just flat-out don't want the custom of people talking about boobs and poop, but personally I'd say that if it gets users regularly posting on the site and having a laugh - and the people who don't want to read the nonsense don't have to - then I can't see the harm.

Just a thought....

xx