aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Looks alright for the money actually.

There are a whole lot of variables that will determine whether it's as straight forward as that or not. Always better with a rooftop aerial but you should receive some of the multiplexes on an indoor aerial. As Chris said a boosted (powered) aerial will be better in most cases up here but if you're very close to the transmitter or have a lot of exterior obstructions (being ground floor in a block of flats and other geographical obstacles for the signal) you may have issues. It is also nearly impossible to fine tune with an indoor aerial using a digital tuner becuase of the tuning process.

Hey Alkaline, is this one any good?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/evotel-32-hd-ready-lcd-tv-11242077-pdt.html

Its not exactly a brand name I’ve heard of, but seems really good value for money. I decided a 22” was way too small, but I still have a budget.

Hey Alkaline, is this one any good?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/evotel-32-hd-ready-lcd-tv-11242077-pdt.html

Its not exactly a brand name I’ve heard of, but seems really good value for money. I decided a 22” was way too small, but I still have a budget.

No, it'll be shit. It's only HD Ready, not full HD, the build quality will be abysmal, the scaler will be terrible (meaning watching SD will be shite), the refresh rate will be terrible for gaming. You'd be better stuffing £199 up my asshole and getting me to play Xbox images on my nipples.

:(

What do I need for full HD? I wont even need an aerial for it as I'll do all my tele on my Xbox.

Hmmm, i guess you could look at spending less on a named brand 720p HD Ready TV if money is tight. In my opinion that's a false economy as almost all HD is natively 1080i/p so you may decide to get a blu ray player or something else (like the next gen Xbox which will more than likely be full HD) and you'll be playing it back on something sub-standard when you could've just spent a little bit more and got something a lot better like-

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lg-32lk450u-32-full-hd-lcd-tv-10091328-pdt.html

If you are set on an HD Ready TV then there are a number of better known brand TVs on Currys website at not much more than you were looking at for that Evotel thing.

Hmmm, i guess you could look at spending less on a named brand 720p HD Ready TV if money is tight. In my opinion that's a false economy as almost all HD is natively 1080i/p so you may decide to get a blu ray player or something else (like the next gen Xbox which will more than likely be full HD) and you'll be playing it back on something sub-standard when you could've just spent a little bit more and got something a lot better like-

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lg-32lk450u-32-full-hd-lcd-tv-10091328-pdt.html

If you are set on an HD Ready TV then there are a number of better known brand TVs on Currys website at not much more than you were looking at for that Evotel thing.

It is just a little more... I'd maybe be better with a full HD, eh?

It is just a little more... I'd maybe be better with a full HD, eh?

If it was just a 22" it wouldn't be an issue but at 32" it is possible to see a difference between the two resolutions. It's all down to you though, i'm just offering an opinion on what i would do (personally i'd save up more money and buy a Sony or a Samsung- preference would be a Sony) but that's just me.

If there's a chance that it could be your main TV in the future then it's worth spending more for better quality, if it's just a stop gap then i guess settling for something cheap isn't the end of teh world.

Where in town would be best for getting toggle switches for coil taps? I hesitate to ask for mini toggles as I have been told they are larger than standard mini toggles if anywhere stocks such a thing (will take them in to compare).

Same for tuners. Not a clue what size I need though! It would be a case of taking the guitar in and hoping they have a vernier gauge or buying one and ordering the tuners online. Must be reasonably priced. The guitar is for messing around with really so not looking to spend much more than £30 for tuners and the 2 switches.

Where in town would be best for getting toggle switches for coil taps? I hesitate to ask for mini toggles as I have been told they are larger than standard mini toggles if anywhere stocks such a thing (will take them in to compare).

Same for tuners. Not a clue what size I need though! It would be a case of taking the guitar in and hoping they have a vernier gauge or buying one and ordering the tuners online. Must be reasonably priced. The guitar is for messing around with really so not looking to spend much more than £30 for tuners and the 2 switches.

Nowhere. Try http://www.axesrus.com/ - free delivery :)

• Upvote 1

Can a supervisor gossip about my recent absence from work? I started started retching at work, and had to go be sick. Obviously because I work with food I'm not allowed to return to the area for 48 hours. Apparently I did it on purpose because I was seeing my chum the next night... The supervisor told two workmates "I've caught her out, she shouldn't have told me blah blah". I don't know how I could have faked it, I started retching mid-sentence and had felt absolutely fine that morning. My manager saw how white I was and told me to go home. I went straight to the doctor, and the manager was kept up to date.

Pissed off doesn't cover it. I can't really afford to miss 4 days pay (I was sick the week before - according to the doctor I might have gall stones!), so why I would do it on purpose is fucking stupid. Especially when I arranged to see my chum on my scheduled time off.

I can't really see anything about it on the ACAS website, just wondered if anyone else had experiences like this and had any advice.

Can a supervisor gossip about my recent absence from work? I started started retching at work, and had to go be sick. Obviously because I work with food I'm not allowed to return to the area for 48 hours. Apparently I did it on purpose because I was seeing my chum the next night... The supervisor told two workmates "I've caught her out, she shouldn't have told me blah blah". I don't know how I could have faked it, I started retching mid-sentence and had felt absolutely fine that morning. My manager saw how white I was and told me to go home. I went straight to the doctor, and the manager was kept up to date.

Pissed off doesn't cover it. I can't really afford to miss 4 days pay (I was sick the week before - according to the doctor I might have gall stones!), so why I would do it on purpose is fucking stupid. Especially when I arranged to see my chum on my scheduled time off.

I can't really see anything about it on the ACAS website, just wondered if anyone else had experiences like this and had any advice.

Well, people shouldn't gossip about other people at work, especially in this sort of manner. My advice: people are dicks, just don't let it worry you. Speak to your manager if it means that much to you.

I would imagine you can lodge a formal complaint with your HR department. Anything of that nature will be taken very seriously from my experience of working in HR. Bitching about a colleague for any reason is pretty unacceptable, and if you're willing to take it to the folk upstairs, then you probably should.

Or can you get a doctors note to shove in her face just to shut her up?

Or you could wait for her outside work and smack her around.

Nowhere. Try http://www.axesrus.com/ - free delivery :)

I bought the wiring kit and pickups used in the very same guitar from axetec and would have bought the tuners frm there had I known the diameter ;) The problem with the switches is that I ideally need to go in and compare the sizes. Guitar websites seem averse to writing the dimensions of the switches, not ideal if as I am told it is too big to be a mini toggle. I would measure the switches but I haven't seen the guitar in 5 months :p

Where can I buy framed old photos of Aberdeen, I've seen them somewhere in town before but I cant seem to find anywhere to buy them now.

Thought the P&J shop might have a few but no such luck.

Castlegate cards at the top of union street (7/9 justice street) sell those, as well as a calendar. I could arrange to get one for you as well, its me and my Dad that design and print those calendars and a lot of the photos.

George Washington Wilson is the photographer, we rent the right to the images that are cataloged in Aberdeen University.

/greetingscardtalk

Why isn't the chap from MAN VS FOOD not dead yet? How is he still alive?

I read an article somewhere which reported that he basically hits the treadmill after every chalenge, and sweats out the baddies/pukes himself silly. Total swizzle. I want to see him deteriorate with each challenge, until he's too fat to bother showboating to the crowd.