aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Are you getting a security warning when you first come on to the site? Saying the sites security certificate isn't valid yet? Is the time and date on your computer set correctly?

Yes that's exactly what's happening. No idea about the time and date. Hold on.

EDIT - Fuck, the date on my computer was set to February 2006. Didn't notice because the time in the bottom right was still correct. That's fixed the whole problem. Cheers Teabags, legend.

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with putting on gigs at Captain Toms?

Do you just book like a normal practice and bring a posse along, does it need to be okay'd by Tom first, or is it sepearate from the practice altogether? Is there any restrictions?

Best phoning them up. You definitely need to get an OK from Tom. I don't think he'd much appreciate you moving around all the amps and bringing 50 folk in to Room 2 without one.

He does his own gigs. It means nobody is practicing/recording after about 7 or 8 on Saturday. Room 1 gets cleared out and left with just sofas and a PA for some CHOONS!, Room 2 is where the band plays, Room 3 is a FUCK OFF YOU'RE NOT ALLOW IN room.

If its for someone else, he only does them very irregularly and its really up to him how it works. I can't imagine he'd let just anyone book a gig.

Basically, if your names not on the list you're not getting in sort of deal.

• Upvote 1

Before the board change you used to be able to see who had posted in a thread (and how many posts for each person) by clicking on the number of total posts. This doesn't seem to work anymore. Is there no way to do this now?

Why do you care, you perv?

My TV has two HDMI ports and I have 3 HDMI devices/cables. What are my options other than getting a new TV? Is there an adapter doohickey I can plug into an HDMI port that splits it into two so I can have all three devices plugged in at the same time? Noone should have to get up off their arse to actually unplug a cable nowadays surely...

A question for guitar-mod types.

My guitar has two humbuckers, one volume control, one tone control and a 3 way switch. Is it possible to get rid of the tone control (as I never use it, and just have it set to full, like those guitars that just have one volume control and nothing else) and change it to a volume control? That would mean I'd have two volume pots. I'd like one assigned to each individual pickup. Is that actually possible?

Also, can the middle toggle on the three way switch be set as a kill switch, so it would go BRIDGE > OFF > NECK?

A question for guitar-mod types.

My guitar has two humbuckers, one volume control, one tone control and a 3 way switch. Is it possible to get rid of the tone control (as I never use it, and just have it set to full, like those guitars that just have one volume control and nothing else) and change it to a volume control? That would mean I'd have two volume pots. I'd like one assigned to each individual pickup. Is that actually possible?

Also, can the middle toggle on the three way switch be set as a kill switch, so it would go BRIDGE > OFF > NECK?

1) I don't know anything about how you would wire it up, but pretty sure that is doable. Would need to switch it from a linear to log pot but that would only cost a couple of quid for the pot. You could also get a concentric pot put in place of your current volume pot which would allow you to control the volume of both pickups (it's effectively a 'stacking' type idea. They are pricey though

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/CONCENTRIC_POT_500K_WITH_CHROME_KNOBS_CP500CR

2) Yes... this guy on youtube says so :p A quick google found more info on it but again I get lost in the wiring stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnSBVZEgTuo

I'd keep the ability to have both pups engaged, as it's nice to be able to blend the two together with 2 volumes. Works well with my Jazzmaster seeing as the bridge pickup is a little thin by itself.

Never really had a need for a tone knob though. Does anyone ever roll them down more than a tiny little bit anyway?

On my jazzmaster i used to use the tone a fair bit, but never more than half way. what jazzmaster do you have that has different volume pots for each pick up?

I've got the vintage modified Squier Jazzmaster. Just 2 concentric pots and a pickup selector. The electronics are frankly a bit shite. If you turn down any of the knobs, it cuts the levels way too drastically, which can prove a little challenging.