aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Dika at Rebel Ink is amazing, her work is just great. Plus she's pretty ;)

So now I HAVE to go to Draconian so I don't cry in front of a pretty girl.

I know no one can say how much a tattoo will cost because of all the reasons but for those who have a tattoo done on their upper arm, just smaller than the upper arm with just shading, how much was it?

So now I HAVE to go to Draconian so I don't cry in front of a pretty girl.

I know no one can say how much a tattoo will cost because of all the reasons but for those who have a tattoo done on their upper arm, just smaller than the upper arm with just shading, how much was it?

Your best bet is to think about how long it would take to draw and shade the piece. Lots of detail (or even lots of solid colours) will take longer to do (well). A total stab-in-the-dark guess would be that you're looking at anywhere from 3-6 hours depending on... well everything. A decent tattooist is around 50-60 an hour (that's what I was at Red Hot & Blue), but I've paid up to 100 an hour (Eva Mpatshi, fucking amazing Belgian artist at the Scottist Tattoo Convention last year, look her up!) and it was worth every penny.

At a minimum I'd be willing to part with 200, if it's less, you win, if it's more then that's just the nature of the game.

xx

EDIT: The 3-6 hour guess was for a half sleeve - is that what you meant or do you just mean a bicep-sized kind of picture? If so, then it might be closer to the 2 hour mark.

What tattoo studio would people recommend in Aberdeen, Draconian, the new place next to Plan 9 or Retro Rebels?

I've never been to Draconian but have seen only good work from them. Richards I liked, he worked fast, he worked very well and he didn't make awkward small talk. Retros (now Rebel Ink) I've always liked, friendly people and again good work IMO. Rock 'n' Roll have lost my vote with this thread. There's also Rapport on King St but I've heard some bad press about their work - particularly on the Draconian Bebo page (lol) there was a photo album full of awful work from Rapport that needed covered - but that was a long time ago now.. There's also Green 64 who I quite like but Nick is quite a meticulous (fucking slow) tattooist. The other guy there (Lee, I think) is apparantley much more efficient though I haven't used him myself.

Largely it depends on what kind of work you want done - different artists have different strengths: rule of thumb -

Old School/Traditional style stuff go to Draconian or Green 64 (I know Nick LOVES that kind of thing).

Bright Colours, quirky designs - Rebel Ink (or Red, Hot and Blue in Edinburgh if you fancy a trip, they are awesome).

Black/Grey work - Richard is the man.

/2p.

xx

Your best bet is to think about how long it would take to draw and shade the piece. Lots of detail (or even lots of solid colours) will take longer to do (well). A total stab-in-the-dark guess would be that you're looking at anywhere from 3-6 hours depending on... well everything. A decent tattooist is around 50-60 an hour (that's what I was at Red Hot & Blue), but I've paid up to 100 an hour (Eva Mpatshi, fucking amazing Belgian artist at the Scottist Tattoo Convention last year, look her up!) and it was worth every penny.

At a minimum I'd be willing to part with 200, if it's less, you win, if it's more then that's just the nature of the game.

xx

EDIT: The 3-6 hour guess was for a half sleeve - is that what you meant or do you just mean a bicep-sized kind of picture? If so, then it might be closer to the 2 hour mark.

Just a picture, nae a sleeve. :)

I have a lot of black/grey work by Richard's, done about 15 years ago and largely all looking pretty shite. Detail has gone. Another 10 years and I will have several black blobs. First tattoo I ever had was done there and it still looks pretty good. Perhaps tellingly, it wasn't him that did it.

After some laser treatment on my left forearm to fade the shite I was left with, I am in the midst of what will end up a lower arm sleeve courtesy of Paul at Rebel Ink. Totally impressed with both the quality of his work and his persona thus far.

Also, every tattoo I ever got at Richard's suffered from pretty major scabbing and subsequent patchiness, even when religiously following the recommended aftercare. The new work has had only minor peeling.

Just get all your tattoos done on a lads holiday to Ayia Napa. The artists over there are undeniably gifted.

I have a really great tattoo of my favourite jacket that I got done in Magaluf. It has faded almost away to nothing, but the scars where he cut too deep will remain forever, and that's what really counts isnt it? Fucking up your skin for all eternity.

Just get all your tattoos done on a lads holiday to Ayia Napa. The artists over there are undeniably gifted.

I have a really great tattoo of my favourite jacket that I got done in Magaluf. It has faded almost away to nothing, but the scars where he cut too deep will remain forever, and that's what really counts isnt it? Fucking up your skin for all eternity.

So did this tattoo cover your entire torso and arms so it looked like you were always wearing the jacket?

Mint. I'd like something for them, but not too fussed about getting each individual value back. Would rather just offload in as fewer transactions as possible. Got 157 about to be shipped off to Music Magpie for 190, which I thought was fairly reasonable.

I'll go see if OneUp are interested in what's left.

Alot of mine were between 30p and 1, but for the stuff I have which is a bit harder to get hold of, I was getting 3 a go. Not sure what they base this on, as they claim to recycle all the CD's into coathangers and whatnot, so surely it shouldn't matter whether or not I'm giving them something easily available, or out of print?

It's a strange site. I have about 6 or 7 Karate albums, all on the same record label. It took 3 and wouldn't recognise the others. Odd. Did that for a few bands I have a several albums for.