aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

The photo is of the back of the floor speakers. They are Eltax Milleniums. There are two of them that look like this (the tall ones):

$(KGrHqUOKpQE3su52hJNBN+,v1u2h!~~_12.JPG

Currently I have the two small ones and the one rectangular one hooked up to my Xbox.

I have been meaning to connect the two big floor speakers up to my CD player, which is also connected to my computer on the AUX setting.

So I need to know which cables to run from the speaker into the amp, and whether I would need an adapter for the amp to change it to a different connection?

If you have the other speakers hooked up, then why is it any different to hook up the big ones? What connection have you used for the smaller ones?

I still don't follow what you're trying to connect these speakers to. Is it a stand alone cd player, or is it part of a hifi set up with an amp? And what connections does it have?

Have PM'd Diesel as I literally just remembered it was him I got them from.

The smaller speakers just connect with black/red speaker cable into the back of an Amp (Sony, was given with the speakers) and just powered that way.

The floor speakers are powered differently. One of them needs a kettle lead as it has a subwoofer built in.

I want to run the speakers into my old JVC stereo (ideally) but would be willing/able to replace the amp in order to use the speakers. So all i need to know is what cables to buy to connect it to some form of stereo with a line out so i can plug the line out into my laptop and blast grindcore tunes out of two big fuck off speakers.

IT'S THAT SIMPLE...

Why is my download speed so slow when using utorrent (for legally shared freeware of course), but super fast when downloading from the browser?

Downloading from your browser will be using a fixed source (i.e. it's a file on a server) and so a constant(ish) speed. Torrents is basically downloading loads of little bits from loads of sources so the speed can vary depending on loads of factors. The two can't really be compared. You're torrent speed is based mainly on the other people seeding the thing.

You need to ensure you have a good ports opened on your router for TCP/UDP connections.

You also have to ensure that your ISP doesn't throttle the bandwidth (IIRC yourwith BT so as long as your not downloading between 4pm and 11pm you should be fine).

For help with port forwarding see here - Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model - PortForward.com

This may merit a separate thread to discuss amp impedance and all that shit, but for now this'll do.

My bass head is 300w and the minimum impedance is rated at 4ohms.

Does that mean it's fine to run this Orange 8x10, since it has an impedance of 8 ohms?

The output is 1200w, the speakers each appear to be 300w - do these numbers mean anything in relation to the 300w my head produces? Or is that simply a measure of how much noise will come out the cab?

xx

You need to ensure you have a good ports opened on your router for TCP/UDP connections.

You also have to ensure that your ISP doesn't throttle the bandwidth (IIRC yourwith BT so as long as your not downloading between 4pm and 11pm you should be fine).

For help with port forwarding see here - Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model - PortForward.com

This turned out to be right. I set the downloads going this morning, and it caned away at 800kbp/s, so it must be this BT throttling P2P nonsense. Boo-urns.

This may merit a separate thread to discuss amp impedance and all that shit, but for now this'll do.

My bass head is 300w and the minimum impedance is rated at 4ohms.

Does that mean it's fine to run this Orange 8x10, since it has an impedance of 8 ohms?

The output is 1200w, the speakers each appear to be 300w - do these numbers mean anything in relation to the 300w my head produces? Or is that simply a measure of how much noise will come out the cab?

xx

Relax, the cab handles 1200W at 8ohms. If your head is putting 300W into 4ohms, then it'll likely be putting less into 8ohms (my Hartke puts 230W into 8ohms, 350W into 4ohms)

The cab will eat up everything your bass head can throw at it.

Relax, the cab handles 1200W at 8ohms. If your head is putting 300W into 4ohms, then it'll likely be putting less into 8ohms (my Hartke puts 230W into 8ohms, 350W into 4ohms)

The cab will eat up everything your bass head can throw at it.

Yeah I figured that to be the case, I'm sure I remember somewhere that underpowering a cab can wreck it and I had previously thought my head to be too wee to power an 8x10. Just wanted to make sure t'was all good, cheers!

xx

Yeah I figured that to be the case, I'm sure I remember somewhere that underpowering a cab can wreck it and I had previously thought my head to be too wee to power an 8x10. Just wanted to make sure t'was all good, cheers!

xx

Your post intrigued me, the underpowering thing smelled of BS to me so I thought I'd do some digging, and found this: Too Little Power Blowing Speakers

You would need a bigger amp than yours to do it, you really would have to be trying to do it, it would sound utter crap while you're doing it, you just wouldn't do it, really.

The pertinent point in your case is thus: "If the speakers can handle 3 or 4 times the power that your amplifier can produce, there's virtually no way to damage your speakers (no matter how clipped the signal is)."

QED.

• Upvote 1

Whats that grey box with instruments in a cage thats on Union Street between Lloyds and the old Stadia bar? It sits next to the black railings. I would provide an image from google street view but despite being a member of this site for 5 years, i still dont know how to do it.