aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Really? That's how my step dad has always set his up, just straight into the HiFi. Never noticed a delay or anything.

How should I be doing it otherwise? invest in an separate surround sound system? Is that amp any different from a surround sound amp?

For starters all it's really doing is putting a stereo mirror of the TV sound at the back of the room and as such inverting left and right output unless you reverse those so that the left sided rear speaker is on the right output and the right on the left. Doing it this way will lead to either an overpowering or under driven rear sound as the amplifier built into the TV will be considerably less powerful than the amplifier in your stereo amp. The delay can be caused by in-house processing (within the TV) happening quicker than the processing of an analogue sound signal in the input/output stages of the stereo amp. This sort of thing can cause lip-sync issues or a slight audio delay from front to back.

The only way around these issues is to invest in an amplifier that can drive two stereo pairs of speakers as a Zone A/B pair or one that can do Dolby ProLogic or DTS Neo 6 virtual surround (or different manufacturers DSPs) processing on a Surround sound amplifier.

In short, either use the stereo you have to achieve a better front of house stereo sound (turning off the TVs speakers in the process) or invest in something to do it properly.

You might stick the stereo amp on and not have a problem but it will be there in one way or another and it would definitely piss me off if it was my set-up.

For starters all it's really doing is putting a stereo mirror of the TV sound at the back of the room and as such inverting left and right output unless you reverse those so that the left sided rear speaker is on the right output and the right on the left. Doing it this way will lead to either an overpowering or under driven rear sound as the amplifier built into the TV will be considerably less powerful than the amplifier in your stereo amp. The delay can be caused by in-house processing (within the TV) happening quicker than the processing of an analogue sound signal in the input/output stages of the stereo amp. This sort of thing can cause lip-sync issues or a slight audio delay from front to back.

The only way around these issues is to invest in an amplifier that can drive two stereo pairs of speakers as a Zone A/B pair or one that can do Dolby ProLogic or DTS Neo 6 virtual surround (or different manufacturers DSPs) processing on a Surround sound amplifier.

In short, either use the stereo you have to achieve a better front of house stereo sound (turning off the TVs speakers in the process) or invest in something to do it properly.

You might stick the stereo amp on and not have a problem but it will be there in one way or another and it would definitely piss me off if it was my set-up.

Yes, it's for a better front of house sound. Bought a new TV, an LG. Picture is smart but the sound coming out of the unit is a bit tinny. Got my HiFi right next to my TV unit with a speaker each side, so I'll give it a go. If stuff starts looking like a dubbed film, I'll invest in a proper surround sound unit.

Yes, it's for a better front of house sound. Bought a new TV, an LG. Picture is smart but the sound coming out of the unit is a bit tinny. Got my HiFi right next to my TV unit with a speaker each side, so I'll give it a go. If stuff starts looking like a dubbed film, I'll invest in a proper surround sound unit.

Just mute the telly and you'll be fine.

Where can I book cheap flights?

Need to go ABZ to Birmingham - leaving 14th July, coming home 17th July.

Ideally looking to pay under 100. Any fares I've looked at have ranged from 152-230 which is fucking mental.

I can get the train for 85 return but obviously that takes about 6 hours longer.

Where can I book cheap flights?

Need to go ABZ to Birmingham - leaving 14th July, coming home 17th July.

Ideally looking to pay under 100. Any fares I've looked at have ranged from 152-230 which is fucking mental.

I can get the train for 85 return but obviously that takes about 6 hours longer.

Try here:

Cheap Flights: Lower scheduled & charter costs...

What kind of connection does this need? Can someone link me the correct leads (its going into a stereo amp, but i dont know what connections i need at that end) on a popular electrical store website?

107kgwk.jpg

Also, what does that phase switch do?

Was told I might need these : STEREO CABLES

Although they dont look like they'd fit!?

Was told I might need these : STEREO CABLES

Although they dont look like they'd fit!?

I'm confused as to what you are actually hooking up here. The photo is of the back of an amplifier, is that right? What make and model? And what are you trying to connect to it?

Those connections in the first photo are for connecting speakers to the amp. The lead you've linked to there is not for connecting speakers, it's for plugging some sort of device in to the amp - if it's a 3.5 mini jack it could be something small like an mp3 player or something. I think in the photo there is also something marked 'line input' which looks like a single RCA to me, in which case that lead won't work. Do you have a photo of any other connections on the back of the amp? There should be something else there, maybe also marked as 'input' or something?

In short the lead you've got there is for input to the amp. The connections in the photo are for output from the amp to speakers.

p.s. you really don't need to be spending 45 on a lead...

It's the back of a speaker stand I think.

Ewan - the 'speaker input' part is for you to connect the speakers you intend putting on the stands to. They look like connectors for bare speaker wire - would that work?

Further to that, I think the 'line input' is for one half of a stereo out from your amplifier.

Does this make sense?

The photo is of the back of the floor speakers. They are Eltax Milleniums. There are two of them that look like this (the tall ones):

$(KGrHqUOKpQE3su52hJNBN+,v1u2h!~~_12.JPG

Currently I have the two small ones and the one rectangular one hooked up to my Xbox.

I have been meaning to connect the two big floor speakers up to my CD player, which is also connected to my computer on the AUX setting.

So I need to know which cables to run from the speaker into the amp, and whether I would need an adapter for the amp to change it to a different connection?