aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

the place I'm doing community service now is a charity that picks up unwanted furniture and distributes them to people in need

"somebody cares" on summerhill road

give them a phone to arrange a free collection might see you lol

01224 200197

closed on a tuesday though

Proper bo. Got a couple of people in line for it, but will give them a phone if they fall through. Cheers!

That's an ugly fucking fish. So where's the the best spot?

Right where the river meets the sea. I go to the town side of the bridge out of habit.

Flatties don't give much sport. It's pretty much: cast line. Wait 2 minutes to half an hour (occasionally turning the reel a few times) then take all the line in and see if there's a fish or a massive clump of seaweed on the end.

Some days you get fuck all other days you get fed up taking the ugly fuckers off the hook.

27 in a day was the record I think (that's without the fishermans exaggeration) and not including what my cousin caught.

Right where the river meets the sea. I go to the town side of the bridge out of habit.

Flatties don't give much sport. It's pretty much: cast line. Wait 2 minutes to half an hour (occasionally turning the reel a few times) then take all the line in and see if there's a fish or a massive clump of seaweed on the end.

Some days you get fuck all other days you get fed up taking the ugly fuckers off the hook.

27 in a day was the record I think (that's without the fishermans exaggeration) and not including what my cousin caught.

May well check that out. Would be nice to get a bit of a fight out of them though. We used to fish for podleys (/ pollock / coalfish) off Fraserburgh harbour as kids, got a good scrap out of them sometimes, particularly the big yins. Bizarrely the best bait for catching podleys was podley eyes. I caught a John Dory once. Apparently quite an unusual catch up this way.

Any other suggestions?

Where can I sell my bronze statue in Aberdeen? I'm looking for antique shops, not ebay etc...

It's been valued at 600 but I know bronze isn't in "fashion" at the moment, as well as the credit crunch, I know I'm not going to get anything near that.

There's a good antique shop in the Adelphi and the guy there is really nice and helpful. I'd go in speak to him, he'll at least be able to point you in the right direction.

There's a good antique shop in the Adelphi and the guy there is really nice and helpful. I'd go in speak to him, he'll at least be able to point you in the right direction.

Have you been recently? Is this a new place? There used to be a good one right down the bottom, but it closed a couple of years ago I think.

This isn't a quick question. This is a long question. IT nerds assemble.

So, my laptop keeps partially disconnecting from the internet. The 'access' status just says "Limited Connectivity", and I have to disconnect and reconnect. It reconnects with no problems (though I have to do in manually, it never reconnects on its own like usual if it loses connection) but does the same thing again about 5 minutes later.

The laptop has a built in wireless receiver, and seems fine with an ethernet cable directly from the router. The xbox live is fine too, so I can only assume it's the built in wireless receiver?

Any ideas on how to fix it, other than always have it plugged in to an ethernet cable?

So, my laptop keeps partially disconnecting from the internet. The 'access' status just says "Limited Connectivity", and I have to disconnect and reconnect. It reconnects with no problems (though I have to do in manually, it never reconnects on its own like usual if it loses connection) but does the same thing again about 5 minutes later.

The laptop has a built in wireless receiver, and seems fine with an ethernet cable directly from the router. The xbox live is fine too, so I can only assume it's the built in wireless receiver?

Any ideas on how to fix it, other than always have it plugged in to an ethernet cable?

Is it running XP/Vista/7/something else?

Sometimes it's a driver issue. Get the latest driver from the manufacturers website, delete the old one and install the new one.

I take it the XBox is wireless as well so if it has no issues that should rule out the other main culprit (the wireless router)

Assign a static ip to your laptop. Google it to see how it's done.

It might be trying to get the same ip as your xbox or something,

Nah, they'll both be assigned IP addresses by the router. If the router took a spaz attack and assigned the same IP address as the XBox that would throw the XBox offline as well.

Nah, they'll both be assigned IP addresses by the router. If the router took a spaz attack and assigned the same IP address as the XBox that would throw the XBox offline as well.

Is that for definite? I'm sure I've come across cases where this has happened.

Also, reinstalling the driver was always the last thing to try. Very rarely the problem.

Maybe i've been out of tech support too long though.

Sounds like the driver was corrupt, which is why I advised uninstalling and reinstalling rather than just upgrading.

@ca_gere

Even if it didn't throw the XBox offline, an IP Conflict error message would appear on the computer (and, I would assume, the XBox). It should throw it offline though, how would the router know which one of the two identical IP addresses to send the packets to?

Intermittent wireless issues can be caused by many factors but WAP and wireless adapter are the two main culprits.

In this case it had been narrowed down to the wireless adapter (assuming the XBox was wireless, which makes the router "known good"). Flakey wireless adapters are nearly always driver issues in my experience.