aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

A football one. Maybe ParaDroid knows this.

In Spanish football, reserve teams play in the same football pyramid as their parent clubs, but can't play in the same division, so if Villareal B came top of the Segunda Division, they wouldn't be elligible for promotion so long as Villareal are in the top division. What would happen if Villareal were relegated from the Primera Division. Would they get to stay up by default, or would it force Villareal B to be relegated?

As far as I know there is a ban on B teams being promoted to the top division and playing in the cup. I don't think there is a rule which would prevent an A and B team both playing in the second division. It's not likely to be a problem as teams good enough to have a B team in the second division are obviously strong enough that their top side can survive in the top division. It would be a weird situation if it did happen though.

Nup, it's a Compaq laptop running Vista. I took the battery off last night and left it for ages cos I thought it might be overheating, if I leave it on a soft surface, eg on my sofa or bed, it can't get air in to keep it cool and it heats up like crazy the cooling fans go fucking radge. Didn't work though. Still says "plugged in, not charging".

I had a similar problem with a netbook. Randomly stopped charging. Turned out to be a bios issue. Best you can do is google the exact model of your laptop (with quotes and plus signs and shit) and see if anything comes up.

I'd suspect it's pretty unlikely to be that, but it's worth checking :)

The shop Primark.

Is it pronounced Pre-mark, or Pry-mark?

I remember hearing a radio advert for it years ago when the first one in Leeds opened, and it was pronounced Pre-mark, but everyone calls it Pry-mark. I always called it Pre-mark, but everyone looked at me funny, so I started to saying it purposely wrong to avoid the funny looks.

But the word 'Prima' is pronounced Pre-ma, so that's why it would be Pre-mark. The radio advert plus former employee make it official. Pre-mark.

Yeah but adverts also pronounce Lidl as Leee-dle. So who knows who to trust?

EDIT - Anyway. Prima is pronounced Pree, but Prime is prounced Pry.

EDIT EDIT - Pry-Mark.

EDIT EDIT EDIT - You are wrong.

I had a similar problem with a netbook. Randomly stopped charging. Turned out to be a bios issue. Best you can do is google the exact model of your laptop (with quotes and plus signs and shit) and see if anything comes up.

I'd suspect it's pretty unlikely to be that, but it's worth checking :)

Could be the battery just needs re-calibrating (usually a tool in BIOS to do that) due to improper charge/discharge cycles, i.e. leaving it plugged in to the mains all the time and not letting the battery discharge often enough.

I tend to let my laptop charge and then i just use it from the battery as soon as it's full. Is this a good thing to do?

I can only assume no. Batteries tend to have a rough figure for the amount of full charges (going from empty to full, and then being used until empty) they can do in their lifespan before needing replaced. My Dell laptop actually told me roughly how many full charges I had left. It's been on zero for about a year, and if unplugged, lasts about 25 minutes. Probably best to use it on battery if you are ever somewhere it can't be plugged in, and the mains at all other times.

I don't think either way is that bad for the battery.

It is reconmended that you completely drain the battery then charge it without using (same as mobile phones) as most new batteries have some memory that remembers how much of a charge it can store and constant recharging before the battery running out sets a false empty point for the battery.

It is reconmended that you completely drain the battery then charge it without using (same as mobile phones) as most new batteries have some memory that remembers how much of a charge it can store and constant recharging before the battery running out sets a false empty point for the battery.

I read somewhere that the heat from the laptop will have an impact on the battery and therefore it's best to take it out when you are on mains power.

Certainly, every laptop I have had the lifespan of the battery has just gone down and down after a couple of years iof being left in.

That's probably what's happened, the smart battery ain't so smart and has got it's zero point wrong. These batteries don't drain all the way down, they're set to junk themselves at a certain point because they can become dangerous if they are recharged after being discharged too far. The battery calibration tool should be able to revive it in most cases if it hasn't went too far the wrong way.

If you're charging it to 100% all the time it's best to let it drain pretty much all the way down. See if there's some sort of battery life extender utility, these will only charge the battery to about 80% and will give you a longer battery life when you have it mostly plugged in to mains.

I've seen stats for battery life and you do get a significant percentage more when you charge/discharge correctly rather than keeping it fully charged and plugged in all the time.

Put it this way, manufacturers wouldn't bother to make the tools to preserve battery life (especially during the warranty period) if it weren't for the fact that the majority of notebook/netbook users use it at home and will have it plugged in "because the screen is brighter" and don't have the savvy to adjust power options. Telling a customer to recalibrate a battery is a shed-load less expensive to the manufacturer than taking something in for repair to check it, or sending out new batteries willy-nilly. It also gets the customer back up and running within 24 hours, rather than days.

This is doing my nut in!... got my macbook connected to my tv via hdmi + mini display adaptor. Picture works fine but audio is still coming out of the macbook. Vlc I can figure out how to change the audio output module so the audio plays through the tv but it doesn't work great with playing dvds and I'd prefer to use Apple's dvd player app. Question is, how do I get dvd player to play audio through the tv and not the macbook?

Maybe, just doesnt seem to have a noticable camera, i was thinking maybe mobile phone thing or something.

Anyone know the name of an old kids TV programme that had a group of kids with old artifacts, swords, chalices ect. A man was always after them, with this guy who could smell the artifacts, sniveling little thing with a weird snout helmet. Also remember the ghost of a drummer boy around a stone circle

Sounds mental but i know i'm not making this up.:swearing:

Maybe, just doesnt seem to have a noticable camera, i was thinking maybe mobile phone thing or something.

Anyone know the name of an old kids TV programme that had a group of kids with old artifacts, swords, chalices ect. A man was always after them, with this guy who could smell the artifacts, sniveling little thing with a weird snout helmet. Also remember the ghost of a drummer boy around a stone circle

Sounds mental but i know i'm not making this up.:swearing:

Knightmare?