aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Where can I find FREE (not FREE TRIAL) software that will convert pesky unusable MKV files into AVI files? I have 5 seasons of It's Always Sunny, that I can't watch on my Xbox. Useless

Download VLC media player, it plays pretty much anything including those pesky matroska files. (if it doesn't play on VLC it won't play at all)

Converting is a much more lenghty process especially for 5 seasons worth of media.

You can always delete VLC if you don't need it afterwards

+rep if you find this helpful!

Cheers

Steve.

I missed that bit.....

Ah well, good luck with the long-ass conversion process!

I recommend downloading in AVI if possible!

Filestube is.a great resource

Prayers answered: How to play MKV content on Xbox 360 - AfterDawn: Guides

I downloaded Any Video Converter in the end. It took ages, but I left it hammering away all night and all this morning whilst I was at work, and it did the trick. I downlaoded those seasons ages ago, back before I realised Xbox was very picky about formats. I finally decided I was going to do something about it, since my laptop is hopeless at playing video files for some reason.

What's the best room at Musical Vision, and how much does it cost to hire cymbals? (the website gives nothing away) X)

i like the two rooms round the corner by the studio asi prefer the drum kit. i think room 3 has the better PA and more room.

as for cymbals, not sure if they do hire them out but you can always give them a ring. they'll usually call you back if they cant pick up at the time.

What's the best software for removing DRM from music files so I can play them on other laptops / MP3 players?

I get free music downloads from the Nokia OVI Store through my phone contract & it's locked down to one laptop & my phone but I want to put it on a hard drive & use on other devices.

There's about 100GB of music so something that can do it in bulk is needed.

What's up with the moderating on this board today?

Bad threads don't need to be closed. They'll just fall down to the next page and be forgotten on their own accord.

So what's the point in keeping them open? So they can just keep getting bumped and filled up with more pointless replies? Both the threads I closed today were going nowhere and the replies in them didn't contribute anything of worth to the site. Normally I would have just deleted all the off-topic snickering and backslapping and kept the threads open, but in these cases I didn't think either of the two threads were particularly worth keeping open as they were largely pointless to begin with. And yes I am aware that I replied to one of them myself. :popcorn:

Is there really anything wrong with threads going nowhere? Do posts have to contribute something of value to the board?

I guess the impression that for most people posting on a message board is just something to pass the time, skive a bit from work, amuse themselves when suffering insomnia etc. Pointless discussion at time is the point and part of the fun.

But hey I know what I can do if I don't like it.

And I didn't really care about either thread, I was just interested in the rationale.

Is there really anything wrong with threads going nowhere? Do posts have to contribute something of value to the board?

I guess the impression that for most people posting on a message board is just something to pass the time, skive a bit from work, amuse themselves when suffering insomnia etc. Pointless discussion at time is the point and part of the fun.

But hey I know what I can do if I don't like it.

And I didn't really care about either thread, I was just interested in the rationale.

Yes and no. We're not cracking the whip shouting "YOU MUST STAY ON TOPIC!", of course there's a bit of leeway, but normally we'll put a post in saying "Back on topic please" or something similar if it's getting out of hand. If we allowed all the threads to grow legs and ramble off in every direction, and you were a casual user of the website, would you continue using it if every time you clicked on a thread you thought sounded interesting you had to read through 4 pages of matey "banter" and in-jokes to try and find any useful information? The General Discussion forums are there for people to talk about any non-music topic they like (within reason) but it is important that we keep the threads on topic and don't let them descend into pointless, boring banter. We had that before and it was called The Wasteland.... some of the threads from back in those days are painful to read now. Seriously, awful. At a time when the site is trying to look forward, we really don't want to go back to that.

Yes and no. We're not cracking the whip shouting "YOU MUST STAY ON TOPIC!", of course there's a bit of leeway, but normally we'll put a post in saying "Back on topic please" or something similar if it's getting out of hand. If we allowed all the threads to grow legs and ramble off in every direction, and you were a casual user of the website, would you continue using it if every time you clicked on a thread you thought sounded interesting you had to read through 4 pages of matey "banter" and in-jokes to try and find any useful information? The General Discussion forums are there for people to talk about any non-music topic they like (within reason) but it is important that we keep the threads on topic and don't let them descend into pointless, boring banter. We had that before and it was called The Wasteland.... some of the threads from back in those days are painful to read now. Seriously, awful. At a time when the site is trying to look forward, we really don't want to go back to that.

Depends who matters most to the powers that be, casual users or those that log in every day.

I'm not saying threads shouldn't be largely kept on topic, but if the basis for locking threads that go off-topic is that a casual user may be inconvenienced then I don't buy that.

It's like mobile phone networks offering amazing deals to new customers but not rewarding loyalty with discounted rates...or something.