aberdeen-music

Kevin Smith retiring from filmmaking

Lemonade

In some kind of protest against studios and critics.

Kevin Smith Announces That Hit Somebody Will Be His Final Film

Does anyone care? I like a lot of his films, especially the View Askewniverse ones, but I thought he came across as a grade-A prick when he spat the dummy last year when critics tore into his film "Cop Out", he then refused to let critics into any of his movies in future unless they pay to get in, and went on massive rants on Smodcast and Twitter about it.

In response to the critical drubbing his 2010 film Cop Out received, Kevin Smith lashed out at the community of film critics on his Twitter account saying, "Writing a nasty review for Cop Out is akin to bullying a retarded kid. All you've done is make fun of something that wasn't doing you any harm and wanted only to give some cats some fun laughs."[23][24] Smith also implied on Twitter that he may charge critics for advance screenings of his films, a service which has typically been provided free; this subsequently ignited a strong response from some critics condemning his stance as "dishonest" and "disingenuous".[23]

Anyone care to defend Silent Bob?

:popcorn:

I care. I fucking LOVE Kevin Smith. Not gonna lie, I never watched Cop Out 'cause it looked pretty bland, but I'd bet there's a laugh or two there.

The guy made so many greats, Mallrats, Clerks, Dogma, I'm fucking gutted he won't be doing anything more. I'd love to have seen him take on a blockbuster comic book adaptation or two as well!

xx

I love his films (although I still haven't seen Jersey Girl) and I listen to SModcast religiously.

I don't believe for a second he will stop.

Yeah he will set up his distribution company but I would put money on him getting bored of that and announce that he's directing something new in the next 2 years.

I watched Clerks dozens of times back in the day. It was a fun, original, low budget film and he made a couple of other ones I liked, Mall Rats, Chasing Amy. Er... he should have done this a decade ago, really.

This.

Awful director with the odd funny turn of phrase. Made some good films but many more rubbish ones. Hasn't really moved on from Clerks in my opinion. Total bawbag in real life. His smodcast and his 'lectures' are ok but he comes across as an egotistical twot. If he doesn't like being criticised he should make better films because his output in the last few years has been utter pish. Does he really think film critics don't take into account the fact that his cop film was meant for cheap laughs when they reviewed it? That's just an insult to people's intelligence. A bad film is a bad film full stop, no matter who it was meant for. In the same sense that a good film is good because it has been judged for what it is. Toy Story, for example, is a great kid's film but as a film noir its awful.

I just don't like the guy and think his film making is lazy. He'd be a good writer I reckon though. A kevin smith script (heavily edited to remove self-indulgence) with a decent director could be really good.

• 3 years later...

If anyone hasn't been following the story on Smodcast, he's making a new trilogy of Canadian horror movies called the True North Trilogy. The first is called Tusk and is about a guy who captures someone and sews him into a walrus suit.... The second is called Yoga Hosers, and the third is called Moosejaws and is basically a Jaws film but with a moose instead of a shark.

Tusk trailer is online: