aberdeen-music

Spotify Recommendations Thread

framheim

My new favourite band. http://open.spotify.com/album/6X9LtQurX6OqWGroKnXhR1

Don't know anything about them but this is a fantastic record.

Currently listening to this, it's interesting, lots of different things going on with it.

Listened to the new Das Racist album on Spotify the other day. It was alright, but disappointing in comparison to the outstanding 'Shut Up, Dude'.

The Continuous Battle of Order – Pttrn Skrs

I can't describe things very well, so I'll steal it from their last.fm page: The pair spent 2009 performing, rehearsing and refining a sound that matches an avalanche of jazzy drums with loopy finger-tapped guitar patterns in a thrilling, ever-changing explosion of sound.

It might appeal to a few folk! For fans of Don Caballero, Hella, Adebisi Shank etc. But more accessible.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is good music for your lugholes. Sharing the love. Share music you're listening to. Don't hog it all!

So Many Dynamos – The Loud Wars

This is a pretty great album. Sounds a bit like if Tera Melos toned it down a bit, which would still lead to quite silly results, but not that silly. Really simple pop vocals over the top of pretty mental indie rock.

Bygones – By-

You like music, right? If you pressed play on a hundred CD players, each containing one of your 100 favourite albums, it would probably sound like this. This sounds like all music, together, under one roof. Loads of stuff going on. Pant shittingly stupid, without skipping over the hooks. Pop as fuck.

Zu – Carboniferous

This is good, if you like weirdo-instruMETAL played with drums, bass and baritone sax. It's fucked up as fuck. When I listen to it with headphones on at full pelt, it feels like someone is standing on my brain.

Jogging – Minutes

Incredibly tuneful jangly indie rock which is completely contradicted by a shouty vocal. It's odd. I like it.

The Swims – Ride of the Blueberry Winter

Lovely lovely boy/girl powerpop. Sounds like some manufactured 60's pop band, but TODAY!

Colossal – Brave The Elements - EP

Not enough love for this band, despite all this fiddly indie rock being all the rage right now. Silly guitars, but the deep vocal is just wonderful, and completely different from all the yelpy vocals in this genre. There's even a bit of trumpet in there too. Brass!FUCKYEAH!

• Upvote 2

The Continuous Battle of Order – Pttrn Skrs

I can't describe things very well, so I'll steal it from their last.fm page: The pair spent 2009 performing, rehearsing and refining a sound that matches an avalanche of jazzy drums with loopy finger-tapped guitar patterns in a thrilling, ever-changing explosion of sound.

It might appeal to a few folk! For fans of Don Caballero, Hella, Adebisi Shank etc. But more accessible.

This is absolutely nuts. I dig it. I dig it hard.

Here is good music for your lugholes. Sharing the love. Share music you're listening to. Don't hog it all!

Jogging – Minutes

Incredibly tuneful jangly indie rock which is completely contradicted by a shouty vocal. It's odd. I like it.

This shit, I could listen to this over and over again. Indie rock + shouty vocals = good times.

This is absolutely nuts. I dig it. I dig it hard.

God yeah. Such a good album. Nice to see you recommending Zu as well... I think that's the perfect way to describe them. I'm still terrified of the song with Mike Patton doing vocals. The Bygones album is incredible as well. Even though now I think that Tera Melos' "Patagonian Rats" appears to have been solely influenced by that album.

Mike Watt – hyphenated-man

Bassist from the Minutemen, fIREHOSE, dos and countless other projects from the past thirty years does his third solo album. It's very similar to the Minutemen musically, and the guitar parts were written on one of D. Boon's old Telecasters. Tremendously good. Thirty songs in forty-five minutes. Poppy as hell and with countless influences.

Marnie Stern

She is unfairly talented. She recorded every part on this album aside from the drums, which were done by Zach Hill of Hella... so you get the gist... catchy songs that are punctuated with a high-pitched nasal vocal over the top. I dunno. I am rubbish at describing everything.

Guided By Voices – The Best of Guided By Voices: Human Amusements At Hourly Rates

I know a few people on here love these guys already... but they're a band that more should know! Very prolific, released 15 albums I think, (with another one due out next year!) they were one of the pioneering lo-fi bands of the 1990s, but they are so much more than that. This greatest hits doesn't cover all of their best songs, but it's an ace start.

From Wikipedia: Guided by Voices' music revealed influences from post-British Invasion garage rock, psychedelic rock, progressive rock, punk rock and post-punk. The band also garnered much attention for its prolific output, with a seemingly endless stream of releases. Most songs are in the two-minute range, but many are even shorter; often they end abruptly or are intertwined with odd and homemade sound effects.

The Budos Band – The Budos Band III

From last.fm:

The band has eleven members (up to thirteen members at times) who play instrumental music that is self-described as “Afro-Soul,” a term and sound which - in a recent interview - baritone saxophone player Jared Tankel elucidates as, being drawn from Ethiopian music the band had been listening to that had a soul undercurrent to it, which the band then “sprinkled a little bit of sweet 60’s stuff on top” of.

Since they're often I mentioned in here I thought I'd use this thread to ask. As someone who has never listened to Guided by Voices, which one album would you recommend that I get to start me off. Mainly looking at GbV super fan soda jerk here but suggestions from anyone are welcome.

They've always been a band I thought I should listen to eventually and they've been announced for Primavera next year which I plan on going to so it seems like a good time to start.

Guided By Voices – Half Smiles of the Decomposed

Thats the best album by them in my opinion, but I guess a good place to start would be the greatest hits. Someone (sorry can't remember who) posted it a couple of days ago I think but here's the link again. A good all round mix of GbV.

Guided By Voices – The Best of Guided By Voices: Human Amusements At Hourly Rates

#Edit it was DavidM, a mere 9 or so posts above this, who posted GbV greatest hits#

Bee Thousand I think is generally thought to be their best album. Obviously not everyone agrees with that... although I do!

Alien Lanes is also really, really good. Both albums have got a similar kind of vibe to them.

Again though I'm pretty sure you could ask ten superfans of GbV what their favourite album/song is and you would get different responses each time. But yeah, I'd go for Bee Thousand. First album I heard by them, and the first song I heard was "Gold Star For Robot Boy".