aberdeen-music

Spotify Recommendations Thread

framheim

Soraya - Animals As Leaders - Spotify - Amazing instrumental piece called "Soraya" by "Animals as leaders," a project by Reflux guitarist Tosin Abassi

Ballad Of Big Nothing - Elliott Smith - Spotify Elliott Smith - Ballad of big nothing. 'Nuff said.

Falling Forever - Mutiny Within - Spotify Mutiny Within - Falling Forever. Anyone into metal should give this album a listen. Not bad for their debut.

The Else - They Might Be Giants - Spotify - Outside of S/T and Lincoln, this is the best They Might Be Giants album by a huge distance. Feign Amnesia is the best pop song I've heard in ages.

I have never listened to They Might Be Giants before, but this is really enjoyable! My toe is tapping and believe my bum might be wiggling a little bit.

:up:

Have any of you stopped buying as much - or even any - music as a result of Spotify? Not looking to start arguments (yet), just genuinely interested.

Absolutely yes. I'm disgusted in myself but I made a decision to stop buying music until I can afford to buy music. I still buy CDs at gigs, especially local acts. Hopefully I will be earning some ok money soon enough though, and I am going to go to town. First I need to buy a decent stereo too. Anyway, in this current state of affairs, Spotify has saved my life!

My CD collection is appaling.

Have any of you stopped buying as much - or even any - music as a result of Spotify? Not looking to start arguments (yet), just genuinely interested.

I think I buy more, and have bought alot based on stuff I've found through Spotify. I still don't fully trust digital music yet, so I still use Spotify as an unearthing tool, like forums/social networks/blogs, but I don't rely on it as if it is my own music collection. I also pay for Spotify too, to get rid of the ads. Doesn't the free one limit you to 20 hours a month now too? Definitely, definitely worth the 5 a month.

I have never listened to They Might Be Giants before, but this is really enjoyable! My toe is tapping and believe my bum might be wiggling a little bit.

:up:

I'd recommend giving S/T and Lincoln a go, though they are very different, as they were written back when they were a two piece, with backing tracks and drum machines. I definitely prefer that to the full band stuff.

They Might Be Giants - They Might Be Giants - Spotify

Lincoln - They Might Be Giants - Spotify

They did a series of educational albums, which sounds stupid, but they are awesome, especially Here Comes Science. I fucking love learning.

Here Comes Science - They Might Be Giants - Spotify

I think I buy more, and have bought alot based on stuff I've found through Spotify. I still don't fully trust digital music yet, so I still use Spotify as an unearthing tool, like forums/social networks/blogs, but I don't rely on it as if it is my own music collection. I also pay for Spotify too, to get rid of the ads. Doesn't the free one limit you to 20 hours a month now too? Definitely, definitely worth the 5 a month.

I'd like to think I would be the same, you know, if I had a job. I've got into so much more music since I got Spotify. I just havn't gone out and bought it yet...

Bored this morning I made a playlist on spotify which I thought I'd share. (assuming this link works and people don't have to be "friends" on spotify to listen to it.

Playlist by aberdeenjames - Spotify

Remembering back to the wasteland's mixtape exchange, I thought that something similar could be done with spotify playlists. If people were interested. Everyone could listen to one mix from another user each week or something. Then review it and say how shit it was etc etc

I think I'll make a playlist over the weekend.

Another recommendation:

Blessphemy - An Albatross - Spotify

I'd describe them as psychedelic rock, but that doesn't really cut it. The songs are about a minute long each and are filled with hooks all over the place. Ridiculous tempo changes, two organ players and short, catchy songs. What's not to love?