aberdeen-music

National Anthem for Scotland

Guest user

I'm sorry but to me a song about death and fighting is rather depressing! I have listened to the whole song. It is rousing and implies that we should rise up against England. How can you say that it is not anti English?

I thought the lyrics were about how we rose up against the English invading? It doesn't say 'go down to England and batter them out of their semi-detached homes' now does it?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest onlynik
I'm sorry but to me a song about death and fighting is rather depressing! I have listened to the whole song. It is rousing and implies that we should rise up against England. How can you say that it is not anti English?

Those days are past now,

And in the past

they must remain,

But we can still rise now,

And be the nation again,

The first TWO lines, those days are past now and in the past they must remain. That's not a call to war or too rise against anyone.

Caledonia is a good choice, but the best version I've heard to date was on the Frankie Miller Tribute Album which has lead vocals by Fish, Brian Robertson on lead guitar, and the rest of the music played by The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, as well as piper and drums... a great version, done by some of Scotland's best artists.

On the Fish vibe I'd have to go wqith the great Internal Exile which has long been my favourite cynical, yet deeply Scottish song:

Internal Exile...

I saw a blue umbrella in Princes Street Gardens

Heading out west for the Lothian Road

An Evening News stuffed deep in his pocket

Wrapped up in his problems to keep away the cold

Grierson's spirit haunts the dockyards

Where the only men working are on

Documentary crews

Shooting film as the lines get longer

As the seams run out, as the oil runs dry

Hey there laddie, Internal Exile

When will you realise we've got to let go?

Hey there lassie, Internal Exile

Starlings wheeling round Georgian spires

And the fires of Grangemouth burn the skies

A lion sleeps in a tenement close

In a country that's tired and deaf to his roar

They bury a wasteland deep in the wilderness

Poison the soil and reap the harvest

Of blind indifference, greed and apathy

Sowed way back in our history

The fish are few the harbours empty

The keels now rot on our oil-slicked shores

The sheep are gone, the farms deserted

We're out of sight and we're out of mind

Like our fathers before us

We've eyes for America

Dream of a new life on foreign shores

But wherever we go, we'll always know

That the land we stand on is never our own

Brilliant rock song complete with pipes etc...love it...

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Laura@TMB
Caledonia is a good choice' date=' but the best version I've heard to date was on the Frankie Miller Tribute Album which has lead vocals by Fish, Brian Robertson on lead guitar, and the rest of the music played by The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, as well as piper and drums... a great version, done by some of Scotland's best artists.

[/quote']

Am I right in thinking it was Frankie Miller's version of the song that was used for the Tennent's Lager adverts some years ago?

Wait a minute - there's no chance of this song ever being used as an anthem for Scotland, as it was once used to advertise alcohol, ergo it will definitely encourage binge drinking :rolleyes: Yeah right.

2nd choice would be Wild Mountain Thyme.

Actually if you want to get into semantics England is the only country that has never been defined as either a nation or a country by boundry lines. Whoever split the countries that make up Britain, defined the borders for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, but just labelled the rest as England. So if anything England is less of a nation than Scotland.

but neither of them are nations, the united kingdom is.

unfortunately some of the things written in this thread just prove how many Scots have a chip on their shoulder regarding the english, as people for some reason have to belittle the english and try to put scots above the english.

Am I right in thinking it was Frankie Miller's version of the song that was used for the Tennent's Lager adverts some years ago?

Wait a minute - there's no chance of this song ever being used as an anthem for Scotland' date=' as it was once used to advertise alcohol, ergo it will definitely encourage binge drinking :rolleyes: Yeah right.

2nd choice would be Wild Mountain Thyme.[/quote']

Yeah it was indeed, It was Frankie's biggest ever hit, and ironically he suffered a stroke that stopped him playing again about a year later. Frankie is a great musician, a very underated Scottish name, it's well worth picking up the Tribute album, a great and eclectic album, but worth it for the rerecording of Caledonia alone, and Robert Carlyle's version of Brigtown is great too...

Cheers

Stuart

but neither of them are nations' date=' the united kingdom is.

unfortunately some of the things written in this thread just prove how many Scots have a chip on their shoulder regarding the english, as people for some reason have to belittle the english and try to put scots above the english.[/quote']

Regardless of opinion the United Kingdom is definitely not a nation. It is a state - an artificially constructed political entity, joining various regions together under one flag etc. To truly be a nation requires some kind of sense of bonded common purpose or heritage but not necessarily a political boundary - this being the reason why, for example, the Palestinians or Kurds are a nation, even though they have no totally autonomous or sovereign physical territory. To describe the UK as a nation is baffling considering both its hugely different constituent parts and the nature of its coming into being.

Anyone that thinks "God Save The Queen" is the national anthem of Scotland deserves to be taken out for a good kicking. Also, if you dislike "Flower of Scotland" for it's anti-English lyrics perhaps you should take a closer look at this:

Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush.

God save the Queen!

Yay! It's the 6th verse of "Scotland's" national anthem, "God Save The Queen".

Anyone that thinks "God Save The Queen" is the national anthem of Scotland deserves to be taken out for a good kicking. Also' date=' if you dislike "Flower of Scotland" for it's anti-English lyrics perhaps you should take a closer look at this:

Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush.

God save the Queen!

Yay! It's the 6th verse of "Scotland's" national anthem, "God Save The Queen".[/quote']

Scottish people are arrogent, they need to stop living in the past!

Actually, it's a call to arms against Edward I, not the English. As he was trying to subjugate Scotland, it's fair enough.

Yeah it was indeed' date=' It was Frankie's biggest ever hit, and ironically he suffered a stroke that stopped him playing again about a year later. Frankie is a great musician, a very underated Scottish name, it's well worth picking up the Tribute album, a great and eclectic album, but worth it for the rerecording of Caledonia alone, and Robert Carlyle's version of Brigtown is great too...

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

I was just speaking to Frankie at the last Musician's Union meeting and he's well recovered and back singing. Sadly, his wife died recently.

Scottish people are arrogent' date=' they need to stop living in the past![/quote']

English people are all wankers.

Welsh people all practise beastiality.

French people are all snotty.

Irish people are all stupid.

I love the "lets throw about idiotic generalisations" game.

I don't particularly mind being part of the UK. However Nationalism is a link to the past. It is a link to a culture now almost completely destroyed. I prefere to think of myself as Scottish because I am a weak person. I like retreating into fantasies about free peoples roaming over the land going on quests and shit. Sounds rad.

I was just speaking to Frankie at the last Musician's Union meeting and he's well recovered and back singing. Sadly' date=' his wife died recently.[/quote']

I didn't know that, it must have been quite sudden :( Jo played at the Frankie Miller Tribute Gig at Barrowlands and was mewant to be on the tribute album, but there were publishing problems with the track she did sadly and it never made it, tho I believe Frankie really liked it. I knew he was well on the way to recovery, glad to see he's making music again, definitely one of Scotland's most influential and underated musicians, much the same as Alex Harvey imo.

Cheers

Stuart

Scottish people are arrogent' date=' they need to stop living in the past![/quote']

No, in the most part they need to be more historically aware - as do you. More Scottish history should be taught in our schools so movies like Braveheart don't become accepted fact. I think you'd find that English scholars are now criticising Hollywood history's erosion of English history too.

Scottish history doesn't create a hatred of English people or bitterness, rather it creates an understanding of the present political make-up of our country and the complicated relationship between our nations.

A lot of English people would find it valuable researching and understanding these issues too.

Guest neil ex
It has to be either

2) The First Big Weekend - Arab Strap

Dave

yeah but could you imagine the scottish football team lined up accross the pitch before an international match singing the first big weekend?

:help:

Flower of Scotland is the unofficial one, so I'd just go with that.

I've been given into trouble for refusing to sing "God save the queen" before. I dont' believe in the monarchy, thus will never sing it.

Guest Nikola Tesla

I still will never understand why having a national anthem is relevant to any one?

I mean patriotism is ridiculous. People are proud of a peice of rock that has existed longer than we have? yet we claim owner ship over it?? Plus also countries are only marked by invisible boundries we set up in our heads, and put down in maps. I think we should have gotten over this whole thing a long long time ago.