aberdeen-music

Singer/Lyricist Wanted for Pop/Rock/Indie Band

DeadDj's

Upcoming band (Guitar, Guitar/Keys, Bass, Drums) need a front man/woman to complete their line up.

Myself and my songwriting partner were discussing the criteria we're after.

We realise it's a big ask, but we're very ambitious and we want the right person, so here goes.

The points we would be looking for are as follows

1 - Somebody who we get on with

2 - Somebody who can sing. We're not after Freddie Mercury here, just someone who's got some soul and some balls. We've had bad experiences before with people who were totally tone deaf.

3 - Somebody who is a bit of a showman - we ARE after Freddie Mercury in this respect. See also - Morrissey, Jello Biafra, Little Richard, etc.

4 - Somebody who can come up with proper vocal melodies. Proper hooks, not just shadowing the chords.

5 - Somebody who can write lyrics. We think of the world around us in terms of music. We need someone who thinks in terms of words. We could do without anything that sounds like it belongs in any current indie band.

6 - Somebody who is actively involved in the songwriting process, even if they don't play an instrument.

We realise this seems a bit demanding, but as I say, we just want to get it right. Hell, you don't need to tick all those boxes, just some of them!

If anyone is interested, do get in touch by sending us a PM

You're better off demanding than getting shit in. If you're ambitious (however you define that) I'd ask any potential candidate what sort of future they see for themselves in music and how much time they're realistically willing to commit. Best of luck.

Very true. This is a good place to get folk listed, though. Obviously you can only really have one guy in the role, but at least this way you can generate a pool.

Right, sorry, should really have said what kind of music it was!

It's definitely not heavy stuff! We're looking to write pop songs in a 60's sorta vein, singable melodies, tight structures, mostly pretty short, adventurous harmony etc, but we're looking to do it with a loud, fast paced guitar sound. It won't always be loud and fast, we do like to branch out!

To be honest, we don't just want to find a singer and say "here you go, this is what you will be singing over". We want them to be involved, so in that sense the sound will also be determined by how they sing. Rather than going after a very specific sound we're wanting to go down whichever route that gives us the best songs.

If we find someone we are on the same wavelength as we can start doing some writing, do some jamming and see what comes out the other end.

I must also apologise for the unnecessary apostrophe. At least six or seven people have missed that, illiterate bunch that we are!

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...