aberdeen-music

Popular/Rock music degree courses...done one?

ballaterquine

Can anyone out there recommend (or otherwise!) a Uni /College to study for a degree in Popular music...performing/production etc...

My 13 year old is planning her future! serious business! and has to pick her subjects for standard grades in February, we are looking at courses to see whuch subjects are required, but would be interested to hear any experiences, good or bad, of colleges/Uni's.

Cheers! Sandra:up:

I believe the Applied Music course at Strathclyde University is really rather good for all the things you have mentioned. It is certainly more focussed on popular music, rather than classical which I think most music courses are based around. At least, I think there is more choice, classical music will still be a part. Check it out.

EDIT: Its maybe not called Applied Music actually...

I believe the Applied Music course at Strathclyde University is really rather good for all the things you have mentioned. It is certainly more focussed on popular music, rather than classical which I think most music courses are based around. At least, I think there is more choice, classical music will still be a part. Check it out.

EDIT: Its maybe not called Applied Music actually...

Is that the one Ross and Scott did? Both jobbing musicians!

A google search indicates it is threatened with closure and you should sign a petition to have the University keep it running.

Is that the one Ross and Scott did? Both jobbing musicians!

A google search indicates it is threatened with closure and you should sign a petition to have the University keep it running.

It is indeed: Ross teaches guitar for an hefty hourly rate and Scott plays with Pearl and the Puppets and Roddy Hart. Its certainly good for "contacts" which can be vital, as well as being a reasonably well run university course. I was not aware of its imminent ?closure? Sign the petition...

EDIT (soz, again): Ross also plays with Abbamania, Scotland's top Abba tribute band. Pretty cool, right?

Leeds has one of the top in the country. You'll have to start saving now if you want you child to go to an English University and then all you'll need is a mortgage to cover the rest.

I know! but by the time she leaves school, no doubt us poor suckers north of the border will be stumping up for Uni's too. When's the election..May? bet there will be changes after that no doubt. Oh well, who needs a retirement? :rolleyes:

Guest davetherave

Aberdeen Uni

I always thought it a shame that Aberdeen Uni didnt create a "modern" music course to go along with its "traditional" one. They have some decent facilities at MacRobert, but the current course is mostly classical music focused http://www.abdn.ac.uk/music/ ???

Aberdeen college offers music courses (HNC and HND), with some very good facilities at BoD Barracks. Cheaper than going to Uni too :up:

Music HND

I did an HND one at James Watt, wouldn't recommend it to anyone and i've heard most of the other colleges are pretty similar. Poorly run, terrible organisation and a pretty non-existant workload, wasn't challenging in the slightest.

For anyone interested in studying music seriously i'd recommend trying to get into RSAMD. Even if you arn't interested in learning classical music or whatever it will give you a really good education of music as a whole and its great for meeting like-minded people. I know quite a lot of people who have gone through that course and are now doing fairly well musically and are all trained up to a really high level.

I did an HND one at James Watt, wouldn't recommend it to anyone and i've heard most of the other colleges are pretty similar. Poorly run, terrible organisation and a pretty non-existant workload, wasn't challenging in the slightest.

For anyone interested in studying music seriously i'd recommend trying to get into RSAMD. Even if you arn't interested in learning classical music or whatever it will give you a really good education of music as a whole and its great for meeting like-minded people. I know quite a lot of people who have gone through that course and are now doing fairly well musically and are all trained up to a really high level.

Good idea.

schoolrock.jpg

Ah, what fun. But no, I heard Leeds is good.

Ah yes Jack Black!..... our DVD is worn out!

My rockchick is only 13 so we do have plenty time to decide but it looks like Leeds is the front runner

..... but she has many goals...to get into the Moorings is one!! OMG where did I go wrong/right ?!! o_O

Thanks for all your replies people...especially Colin :up:

• Upvote 1

Ah yes Jack Black!..... our DVD is worn out!

My rockchick is only 13 so we do have plenty time to decide but it looks like Leeds is the front runner

..... but she has many goals...to get into the Moorings is one!! OMG where did I go wrong/right ?!! o_O

Thanks for all your replies people...especially Colin :up:

If I ever have a 13 year old daughter I'd hope she was in to music. Then we could jam!

Once she's 14 she can start getting to gigs and that, so not long to wait. Not the Moorings though...

Good luck with the course-hunt.

I'd be really careful about going down this route to be honest. The number of people I know who did some kind of alleged musical production/sound/writing course and are found it completely useless is frightening. In fact, there is only person I know who signed up for one of these courses (the Leeds one) who is working in that field (does work for Sony etc), and he dropped out halfway through - he said it was "gash". He then took an unpaid internship at a studio and worked up from there. I suppose it was a sort of unofficial apprenticeship really.

I agree with the above but I'd say it probably is dependant on what you are wanting to do and the kind of person you are. At age 13 starting to think about it is not a bad thing. The more information and experience you can gain in the run up to making some sort of career/further education decision the better. You also get out of a course what you put in to it plus assuming an internship style thing isn't available to you, a college/uni will give you access to some amazing quality equimpent, potentially inspiring tutors (depending on where I guess) and other folk to bounce ideas off.