aberdeen-music

Best/Worst Buskers

beetlejuice

I think you might be right. Myke is one of the few Aberdeen singer-songwriters I have yet to come across at a gig, so that would be why I didn't recognise his face, but his voice sounded familiar!

I've seen him outside the Bon Accord a few times and one of my mates grabbed his business card off him with a view to having him play at a couple of nights in the city. Don't think anything ever came of it though. I think he had an album/EP launch or something at JPs in town a while back.

Highlight of the 'Bon Accord/St Nicks Talent Spot' is definitely the spoon/guitar/big issue woman. Multi-talented.

The guy that thinks he's Michael Buble does my head in though. Singing shitty karaoke versions of songs along to his iPod through an amp. Bet the wee old grans love him though.

I don't like the boy with the amp. Buskers should be heard when you pass them, not all bastard day through your office window. I dunno if the guitar playing boy with the amp, and the boy that sings over backing tracks through an amp are the same person, but I don't care for either. The boy who just sings did a lounge cover of a Nirvana song. Fuck that.

The woman strumming a guitar with a fork is amazing. She can't speak English, so when some drunk ruffian at the bus stop said "I'll give you this 2 if you shut up until my bus comes", she just looked very grateful and carried on strumming. I thought he was going to murder her.

When I went to Newcastle last year, I noticed that everyone owns an accordion. They are too loud and don't sound pleasant when up close and personal.

That guy with the keyboard and the cowboy hat outside M&S is toss. He just sings over backing tracks and changes the key of the backing track with the keys. What a hoax.

I used to like the old mannie with the accordion who sat on Schoolhill. He was ace.

The one that gets on my tits is the guy that stands in the doorway of the bank opposite KFC. If you're going to inflict your noise on the public and hope to earn cash from it at least learn to tune your fucking guitar. He's a fine guy though.

Was "Job" mentioned above the black guy that used to stand outside Gap and do spot-on Bob Marley covers? He was ace, I could have watched him all day, I gave him money every time I passed him.

Ive got to say, the ginger heeded, podgy guy in the kilt at the crossroads on Union Terrace playing the pipes is the worst piper Ive ever heard. There should be a law prohibitting such noise. However that said, I take my Glengarry off to him, he's got nerve, oot in all weathers and gets away with it.

Aberdeen Cooncil should set up a scheme like the London underground where licences are given out to decent performers. Ok perhaps not Aberdeen cooncil as they dinnae have a good track record of their own performance

Larry

• 7 months later...

Who was the guy that used to play guitar through an amp powered by a motorbike battery...I can remember everyone thinking he got a really great sound from the battery breaking up, like valve saturation but with a tranny amp....but that could be a load of bs from a time when everything looked and sounded great.

This romanian woman, I thought this was recent, she's been doing this since January (at least!??!) ffs....I'm finding it hard to find a room to record in just now, maybe I should just set up in the streets and make a racket there...

And yeah...surely that piper (it isnt Dod copland) is learning how to play but lives in a flat so just stands there hoping he can pass off as a busker. Shocking. I used to hear someone making a racket in a multi story car park near my work a while back, could have been him in training....

This romanian woman, I thought this was recent, she's been doing this since January (at least!??!) ffs....I'm finding it hard to find a room to record in just now, maybe I should just set up in the streets and make a racket there...

Way before January. I first saw her October last year outside KFC, whilst waiting for a bus home after a cold day out watching Montrose get twatted by Berwick. I remember it well, clearly. It had a huge effect on my life.

• 2 weeks later...

The woman with the spoon now has a real plectrum! Someone must have felt sorry for her. I heard her singing the other day too, interesting!

Once I saw her from the other side of the road when waiting for the bus. A few doors down was an accordion player, it wasn't intentional but hearing them both playing at the same time really worked.

When I went to Newcastle last year, I noticed that everyone owns an accordion. They are too loud and don't sound pleasant when up close and personal.

I once saw a Busker-off when i was in Newcastle it was ace, accoridan player moved into this eastern european guys patch (he had bagpipes) he started shouting and screaming at the accordian boy that this was his patch and accordian boy should fuck off out the country, immigrant ect, then they both just starting playing as loud as they possibly could whilst eyeballing each other. Amazing. Cool story bro ect.