aberdeen-music

Best/Worst Buskers

beetlejuice

Is it just me or is the standard of busker in Aberdeen generally very, very, very low? let's look at some examples:

• The old woman who sits and plays the guitar with a comb
  • The man who flicks 2 bits of string and makes a puppets arms wave out of time with the dodgy accordion music pumping out of a hidden boombox
  • The guy on Union Street who claims he plays requests, and plays Wonderwall regardless of what you ask for

It seems a shame, because I've seen some great buskers in other cities. Even bought a CD off a couple of them.

There is one guy I have seen in Aberdeen who is actually quite good. Not sure who he is - he may even be a forum member - but he is a young chap with a proper amp etc, stands between St Nicks and Bon Accord, and has actually bothered to learn to play the guitar. He always seems to have a crowd of excited young ladies crowded round him every time I see him, and from the snippets I've heard he has a good voice and a decent ear for picking the right songs to cover.

Why can't we have more decent buskers in Aberdeen?

I absolutely love what the old wifey does on her guitar (think she's using a spoon just now).....we would love to have her as a guest at a Matrciarians gig (seriously!). Krautrock rhythms alert :)

I am a big fan of her sound too. Many folk told me about her, and I expected it to be something I'd like. I was delighted when I finally heard her.

think she's using a spoon just now

I stand corrected, she has a diverse range of talents ;) I await her debut EP!

Just found a video of a busker who goes by the name of Richard Blues, who you'll no doubt have seen if you've been down to the Edinburgh Fringe in the last few years. Got one of his CDs and he's a pretty damn good blues guitarist. I like the way he gathers a big crowd, and builds a rapport with them... he gives them a proper gig rather than drunkenly mumbling his way through a couple of tracks.

YouTube - Richard Blues-Johnny Be Good

Ive never heard any good buskers in Aberdeen. That 'band' at st nicholas are amazing though. Just the way they get a crowd together on a fri/sat chanting oasis songs. Are they still on the go?

The buskers in New York are incredible. Not just the quality but the variety too. Everyone seems to be doing a different thing. You'll be getting a train, minding your own business and all of a sudden hear an awesome slapbass solo or some homeless man rocking out with a tuba. There's a hierarchy to it too. The top guys get the best/busiest subway stations and are making an absolute mint.

There used to be a guy called Job who played acoustic reggae stuff by Markies years back, he was fucking ace. I bought one of his tapes one time and was disappointed to find it was rather polished studio recorded stuff, the raw stuff like what he played on the street was what I was after...

I also bought one of his tapes. Don't think I've got it anymore.

He was ace though, used to go away and return with a bigger amp when the preacher guy got too loud.

There's a fiddle player that sometimes appears at the farmers market or outside the Bon Accord centre who's excellent. But to balance that out I've noticed a bagpipe player at Union Terrace recently who's fucking awful. The guitarists that line Union Street in the evenings are pretty bad as well.

What happened to the auld mannie with the accordian that used to be outside St Nicholas? Seems to have been usurped by the Romanian with the puppets.

I've only ever busked twice and it was recently. I just had to give it a go as you do. Both times after very drunken drummonds gig. Just up on union street. Daryl with his accordion and me on guitar. Jesus the crazy ass folk that come by. Talk madness and dance aboot. An eye opener. And yes we were probably just as bad being bleezin'

Acid must be given out free in the local night clubs.

But to balance that out I've noticed a bagpipe player at Union Terrace recently who's fucking awful.

SO BAD! I once saw him playing the pipes and the chanter fell out halfway through a piece. I often find myself standing at the traffic lights, subconsciously tapping my foot to his playing, but his timing is a bit ropey :(

Dod Copeland, not seen him in a while, sure he still busks though.

Back to Job he busked all over Scotland i seen him in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

The wifee we the spoon is quality, im really tempted to give her my son's electric guitar and a wee practice amp, maybe a cheap and nasty fuzz box too! Id fucking pay to see some stuck up folk passing by shaking their heids in disgust hahaha

There is one guy I have seen in Aberdeen who is actually quite good. Not sure who he is - he may even be a forum member - but he is a young chap with a proper amp etc, stands between St Nicks and Bon Accord, and has actually bothered to learn to play the guitar. He always seems to have a crowd of excited young ladies crowded round him every time I see him, and from the snippets I've heard he has a good voice and a decent ear for picking the right songs to cover.

This him? Myke Black on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Haven't seen him about for a while though.