aberdeen-music

80s UK punk

Guest allsystemsfail

Guest allsystemsfail

What with the publication of Ian Glasper's book Burning Britain - A History Of UK Punk 1980-84, what are folks favourite UK punk outfits from this period? Here are mine:

Rubella Ballet

Crass

Vice Squad

Flux Of Pink Indians

Discharge

DIRT

Hagar The Womb

Zounds

Conflict

Subhumans

Faction

Lost Cherrees

Poison Girls

And if folks wanna check out the book, then go to http://www.cherryred.co.uk/books/burningbritainahisto.htm

Guest allsystemsfail
The Skids were one of my favourites.... but they were shit around this period.

I wouldn't say they were a punk band, though a lotta folks do associate them with punk. Drummer Rusty Egan had also been a member of Glen Matlock's outfit The Rich Kids.

Guest allsystemsfail
What Conflict albums do you recommend?

Bought their last one and its 'kin tremendous.

Their third The Ungovernable Force. Just about everyone says it's their best, and it's certainly one of the most important anarcho releases ever. Also check out Increase The Pressure.

Yeah, There's No Power Without Control is a quite amazing album, and one that certainly sees a return to form for the band.

I prefer US punk but mine would be:

Subhumans

Peter & the Test Tube Babies

Angelic Upstarts

Crass

UK Subs

even tho the Subs and Upstarts are more associated with the 70's. I'd love to hear some Flux of Pink Indians...heard good things bout them, am I the only one that thinks Discharge are overrated?

Guest allsystemsfail
Cheers I'll try and get a hold of them.

Used to like Amebix too' date=' they've done some classic stuff.[/quote']

Yeah, Amebix were cool. You got their album Arise?

Guest allsystemsfail
I prefer US punk but mine would be:

Subhumans

Peter & the Test Tube Babies

Angelic Upstarts

Crass

UK Subs

even tho the Subs and Upstarts are more associated with the 70's. I'd love to hear some Flux of Pink Indians...heard good things bout them' date=' am I the only one that thinks Discharge are overrated?[/quote']

Hey man,

Yeah, while I was never that impressed by the Upstarts, their album Two Million Voices is great, and definitely a highlight of that period. And the Subs Brand New Age rocks too.

And Flux? Do check out their first full length Strive To Survive... You won't be disappointed.

Discharge overrated? Aaaargh no. Actually, it was so cool hearing Ain't No Feeble Bastard on Friday at Drakes.

I still have a lot of Toy Dolls & Peter And The Test Tube Babies records. Rotting The Fart Sack EP and numerous others.

Angellic Upstarts and Anti Nowhere League were always good. Teenage Warning is a great song.

UK Subs i`ve not seen live for almost 10 years although was never a massive fan.

Some people know this but not all..... The Backing Singers in The Professionals went on to become Bananarama.

Also Mick Hucknall was in a punk band called the Frantic Elevators...... Money says he was a painter and decorator at the time and decided to see if he could compose a tune as exciting as watching paint dry. Low and behold he managed it......... numerous times....

Guest allsystemsfail
>Yeah' date=' Amebix were cool. You got their album Arise?

yeah used to have a copy of it on tape with some of their ep's. has their back cat been released on cd? monolith is another classic

What does the new Discharge stuff sound like?[/quote']

I haven't heard it myself, but a lotta folks like it. Apparently it sees the band returning to their much more abrasive older sound. God their metal stuff sucked. Rat (from The Varukers) has now also replaced Cal. You can check out their website at http://www.discharge.uk.com

Monolith is still available on CD. Arise is available on CD with two extra tracks - the last ever recorded by the band. There's also a live CD out there, though I forget its title. Was released fairly recently.

Guest allsystemsfail

UK Subs i`ve not seen live for almost 10 years although was never a massive fan.

Some people know this but not all..... The Backing Singers in The Professionals went on to become Bananarama.

I caught the Subs the last time they came through here about 18 months ago, and they were great. That said, they played only oldies which was kinda disappointing. Their 90s albums Riot and Quintessentials saw Nicky Garrett and Alvin Gibbs returning to the band, and with that the band started producing some great great material again.

Bananarama? Certainly Pistols drummer Paul Cook produced their first single.

The Professionals started well with two great singles - Just Another Dream and 123, but with the departure of bassist Andy, went off the boil, producing the terrible I Didn't See It Coming album.

Totally agree with that, Subs have had some crackin' albums in recent years and they never seam to include many songs from them in their live sets.

One of their most memorable visits for me, was when they played in Memphis - what a gig! And then seeing Buzzcocks around the same time in the Pelican.

About time lava.p booked them again me thinks!

Guest allsystemsfail
Totally agree with that' date=' Subs have had some crackin' albums in recent years and they never seam to include many songs from them in their live sets.

One of their most memorable visits for me, was when they played in Memphis - what a gig! And then seeing Buzzcocks around the same time in the Pelican.

About time lava.p booked them again me thinks![/quote']

Memphis?

While I used to love the Buzzcocks, I got kinda bored with the first wave of punk outfits, throwing myself in to the anarcho-punk community. The only folks from back then who I still like are Chelsea and Penetration. The Pelican show was around 1994 right?

Guest allsystemsfail
Yeah Memphis' date=' I'm sure that was the name of the place above the Bex Bar. Had a few gigs in there.[/quote']

I heard a rumour that Rudimentary Peni played this venue around 1993. Do you know whether this was the case?

Guest allsystemsfail

I thought I'd also mention these folks - Chumbawamba. Next to Crass, they were without doubt the most intelligent and innovative anarcho-punk outfit out there.

Guest allsystemsfail
And I always thought Chumbawamba were plastic anarchists?! Were they not heavily slagged by other bands involved in the anarcho-punk scene?

Picked up the collected Crass lyrics book "Love Songs" recently' date=' they are still relevant today![/quote']

Sure, the Chumbas did indeed come under heavy fire regarding their jump to EMI - a move that ran contrary to their view regarding political outfits signing with majors. However, despite this, they are still as strong in their commitment to anarchist politics. In fact, I think few bands are as committed.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Best UK bands from '80-'84:

Discharge

Disorder

Chaos UK

Crass

Conflict

The Stupids (formed in 1984 so it counts!)

Late 1980's was when the Hardcore stuff kicked in, which was when I REALLY got into it, so, for me, the UK scene peaked with the likes of Heresy, Ripcord, E.N.T., Intense Degree, Doom, Sore Throat, Jailcell Recipes, Doctor and the Crippens, Electro Hippies, Active Minds and Napalm Death when they were still relevant and not the joke they became when Lee and Bill left.

Guest allsystemsfail
Best UK bands from '80-'84:

Discharge

Disorder

Chaos UK

Crass

Conflict

The Stupids (formed in 1984 so it counts)

Late 1980's was when the Hardcore stuff kicked in' date=' which was when I REALLY got into it, so, for me, the UK scene peaked with the likes of Heresy, Ripcord, E.N.T., Intense Degree, Doom, Sore Throat, Jailcell Recipes, Doctor and the Crippens, Electro Hippies, Active Minds and Napalm Death when they were still relevant and not the joke they became when Lee and Bill left.[/quote']

I wasn't that big on that period. For me it saw the beginning of a downward slide - the scene becoming far less interesting musically. That said, there were still folks putting out some cool shit around then - The Next World, City Indians, Culture Shock, Thatcher On Acid, and Life Cycle just a few.

Any recommendations regarding Disorder? I heard their material can be a bit hit or miss. I do have their Violent World/Live In Oslo CD, but didn't really like it.