aberdeen-music

Looking for a good restaurant in Glasgow City Centre

Fast Caz

I'm taking the girlfriend to stay in Glasgow for the weekend, it's her birthday, she wants to go clothes shopping and I can go record hunting. It works wonderfully.

We're staying very much in the centre of the city and nothing really jumps out at me for somewhere to take her for dinner.

We aren't into any artsy fartsy pretentious places where your meal costs as much as a weekend in Paris, but we do appreciate good grub and good atmosphere. Price isn't a concern (unless I find some absolute gems on my vinyl endeavours) as long as I'm not paying 40+ for a small plate of food with a decorative splash of goose fat drenched in olive oil sweated straight from an Italians big toe.

Maybe a good steakhouse or something?

Ideally not a chain restaurant though.

Cheers in advance to anyone who is in the know.

Cal(zone).

I'm sure some of our ex-pat contingent in the land of weege will pipe up with some better suggestions, but there's a decent pizza/Italian on Sauchiehall Street across from the ABC. Think it's called Antipasti. Been there a few times.

There's some good ones one the streets parallel to that as well, Bath Street and West Regent Street I think. Ranging from reasonable to expensive. Bar Bloc on Bath Street was pretty good last time I was there and very unpretentious.

There's loads of good stuff in the Merchant City as well, but there's also a lot of chains.

Topolinos | Welcome to Topolinos | Italian, Topolinos, Seafood, Poultry, Dishes

I went here with my beloved on a similar trip to Glasgow. It was just fantastic, very good service with a relaxed atmosphere. I was about 60 for a bottle of wine and a 3 course meal (we both had steaks). This would be great if you are wanting to push the boat out a bit. Also its just round the corner from the Glasgow Film Theatre which is a fantastic cinema.

Mother India Cafe, Indian Restaurants Glasgow, Best Indian Tapas Restaurant

Have not been to the one in Glasgow, but the restaurant in Edinburgh is absolutely fantastic. It's not a 'chain' in the traditional way, they just have a couple of restaurants in Edinburgh/Glasgow.

I can't recommend it enough, and it's cheap too.

Mother India Cafe, Indian Restaurants Glasgow, Best Indian Tapas Restaurant

Have not been to the one in Glasgow, but the restaurant in Edinburgh is absolutely fantastic. It's not a 'chain' in the traditional way, they just have a couple of restaurants in Edinburgh/Glasgow.

I can't recommend it enough, and it's cheap too.

I forgot Mother India, it's actually brilliant.

If you're up the West-End side of Sauchiehall Street, then I'd also recommend Asia Style, a Chinese guy from work had recommended it and I remember being a bit put-off by the look of the place the first time I went, it was all formica-topped tables and looked a bit run-down, but I've had some of the best food I've ever eaten in there. Very authentic Chinese and Malaysian food, it's around a two-minute walk from St George's cross subway, close to Charing Cross. I haven't been for a good six months or so but I've heard it's been refurbished recently too.

Brel's lovely, it used to do cracking student lunches for 3.99 and the food was always top drawer.

The Ubiquitous Chip is on Ashton Lane too, I went there with my other half last time we were in Glasgow, he had the lamb tagine, I had the veggie haggis and we got a decent bottle of red for about 50 all in, we were pretty impressed. Dinner - Upstairs - The Ubiquitous Chip

Guest idol_wild
The Butterfly & The Pig is awesome, but I've only had lunch there so I'm not sure what it's like for evening dining - The Butterfly And The Pig Bar Restaurant, 153 Bath Street Glasgow G2 4SQ

I'll vouch for this place, too.

My favourite eatery in Glasgow is Stereo on Renfield Lane. Vegan menu, with some interesting dishes. Good food, excellent prices.

Not much of a restaurant, though, right enough. But it's a bit different and very affordable.

The Mussel Inn on Hope Street is great if you like a spot of mussels.

Di Maggio's, Royal Exchange Square

Bier Halle (does 2 for 1 pizzas which are yummy), Gordon Street

Velvet Elvis (it's in the West End but the food is homemade and really reasonable), Dumbarton Road

Grill On The Corner, Bothwell Street

Pancho Villas, Bell Street, Merchant City

Cafe Andaluz, Cresswell Lane, West End

That's all I can think of just now!

Check 5pm.co.uk for really good offers for decent restaurants! :)

I can't give you a definitive list, but the ones I've been to are Monorail on Kings' Court, Mixed-Up Records on Otago Lane and Avalanche, round the back of Queen St Station. There's also a couple of pretty decent Fopps, one on Byres Road and one on Union St. There's often second-hand record fairs going on at the QMU as well.

Cheers to all who contributed!

I went with Topolinos and what a great wee restaurant it was. I had the steak,rare with diane sauce - FINE!

Girlfriend had the lamb steak and that was gorgeous. The sauce was very rich and had various flavours to it.

Really friendly watiress, two starters, two mains and four drinks .... 50.

Cannot beat that!