aberdeen-music

just to show how thick i am

YETI

a di box is basically a small preamp

it takes the signal, boosts it a little bit and can convert it to balanced cables or whatever else to prepare it for a cable run to the pa so it will degrade less over the cable run

they can also be setup for different uses, you get some you will plug into first, with one output to the pa, and one to an amp onstage, and i saw a BBE di that could be put before the amp, in an effects loop (after the amps preamp, befor the poweramp) or between the amp and speaker, so it could suit whatever needs you have (whether you want to di after the preamp with distortion, or completely clean before the amp ir whatever)

David

Guest lime ruined my life

erm, i always though it was for impedance matching so it can go straight into the desk. plus the other things you said, sometimes....

shows what i know.

erm' date=' i always though it was for impedance matching so it can go straight into the desk. plus the other things you said, sometimes....

shows what i know.[/quote']

that is part of it too, so yes it does match the impedance for the mixing desk, and it also boosts it to a line level as opposed to an instrument level

David

DI boxes, wether active or passive, are purely to balance the signal.

Impedance matching shouldn't be much of a problem nowadays.

Most DI boxes can be used in an FX loop and have sufficient padding to be used on a speaker out as well.

With short multicore runs the balancing isn't so much for signal degradation but noise rejection.

Oh, and they're NOT preamps. If they were they'd be called preamps and not direct injection boxes. They're an interface.