aberdeen-music

Seas, Starry; Matricarians & Oxbow Lake Orchestra, Cellar 35, 5th February

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really enjoyed the rest of the night, but big apologies for our set being so crap/different from the original intention.

It was the weirdest thing. We could hear Dave talking to you before you started and could hear his camera clicking away but you weren't coming through the mic at all.

Real shame as I was looking forward to hearing a more structured set from you.

I had a lot of fun playing last night, and enjoyed Matricarians and Oxbow Lake very much. Matricarians have been brilliant every time I've seen them, and last night was no exception, and I'd never seen Oxbow Lake before and thought they were very good too. Thank you so much for playing our debut gig. Thanks as well to everyone who came to watch, the atmosphere was lovely, looking forward to the next one. Also, if anyone wanted a poster and didn't get one, just let me know and I'll happily copy a few more.

It was the weirdest thing. We could hear Dave talking to you before you started and could hear his camera clicking away but you weren't coming through the mic at all.

Real shame as I was looking forward to hearing a more structured set from you.

I'm going to accept blame for this one. Unfortunately, we hadn't researched as much as we should have into exactly whom at the venue was familiar with the equipment and would be able to help us set it up. We did have a friend come along to help with sound, but he was also unfamiliar with the desk and this essentially left me to struggle with it whilst Dave tried to help me by indicating which levels to adjust from the floor. I've had absolutely no experience with this sort of thing at all, so it didn't go too well. It was our first time putting on a gig, and unfortunately, we completely overlooked something so fundamental. I'm just totally gutted that a band as brilliant and lovely as Matricarians had to suffer from inexperience and poor preparation on my part. I genuinely did very much enjoy the set nevertheless and I guess now that the first-gig nerves have subsided that we'll be able to do a better job next time, although that doesn't excuse what happened. Matricarians were extremely patient, professional and dealt very well with a difficult situation which should never have arisen in the first place, and I hope we get to play together again. I'd also like to apologise to anyone in the audience who might have enjoyed the set less than usual because of the poor sound, sorry guys.

I'm too scared to read Dave's review....the last one of the Tunnels gig was fine because we set out to do an atonal / agressive set, but we meant last night's one to be a more peaceful aural journey, and not the bumpy rollercoaster it turned out to be. However the sound problems were, I think, mostly of our own making (eg me getting my leads in a tangle etc through being disorganised), and don't blame Claire or Dave, who are both lovely and helpful. The mood of the evening was great, so I hope I didn't spoil that too much!

here's a review what i wrote and added pictures to:

It's Cold Out There: Seas, Starry + Matricarians + Oxbow Lake @ Cellar 35

it'll probably be on flares n seagulls soon too.

i feel bad about saying the sound was bad now after claires apology in the above post. everything else was ace!

Thanks for that, Dave. Photographs are brilliant.

I had fun at this event I did, helped by the bottle of wine I had beforehand. Didnt notice any problems with sound for Matricarians my view was blocked and was staring at some guys shoulders, enjoyed it nonetheless, felt like I should have been reading a book as I tend to listen to your racket as I read in bed.

Well done to Seas Starry, thought the set was pretty good, and showed loads of potential. My main point is that I felt the songs shouldve carried on alot more ,especially the second one you played (which was my fav btw), thought you achieved this with your last song, but good first gig guyz.

Can only really echo what's been said before, but regardless, thanks very much to everyone who came along! It was great to see such a good turnout for all the bands.

The photos are excellent, and thanks very much for the kind words in the review. Hopefully there will be more gigs in Cellar from now on, it is definitely an ideal venue for gigs like Saturday night.

Hopefully we'll get to play again soon and perhaps do some more gigs of a similar nature.

Bad sound does spiral the gig downwards especially with thx time changes when your feeling as miserable as I was. So apologies for being a miserable ....But it's strange I have to be honest I just didn't enjoy playing which is rare for me but probably as I was getting over a virus but then I go and listen to the video's and it sounds fine and kind of fun. A good bunch of folk.

Perceptions eh!? We all have them. Maybe we should keep them more to ourselves. As Although we had a laugh playing trad and folkie stuff that was just for fun the weird funky stuff I prefer by far but others think the other way.

Like I prefer the melodic stuff seas, starry do. Really enjoyed those tunes. Stretch them out longer guys!!

And Alan it sounded fine to me as I was standing right beside you. You didn't need a pa!!

Cheers and thanks. May you be blessed with many more gigs!

Perceptions eh!?