aberdeen-music

Gear that you want

I'm not a fan of strat style guitars nor even those with scratchplates really but this is stunning

473752952_o.jpg

Vintage 80's Japanese guitar, if it had a humbucker I'd be all over it. I love natural wood finishes. I'm going to try get my hands on another 80's Japanese - matsumoku built h/s/s guitar instead. My friend has one they say the build quality is fantastic plus it has a coil tap, so exactly what I want!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever seen something like this before? It has independent switches for each pickup. Does this mean you can have all 3 pickups activated at the same time? How would that even sound? Anyway I want this! If I hadn't already bought another vintage Japanese guitar which is arriving tomorrow, I'd be all over this. Even still might see if I can spare the funds!

guitar1.jpg

guitar2s.jpg

I've got one of those minus the 3 pickup switches. It does have a coil tap however, and lots of fret wear. Same colour and everything.

Any good? The only thing I am not sure about on these old guitars is the pickups,. At the same time I don't want to go changing everything in case they become collectable. All the westone fans snap up anything matsumoku made so they may be collectable in the future.

I've already bought one of these, made in the same matsumoku factory as that red one in the mid 80's. Features wise it's very similar! This also has the push pull coil tap. Only thing I'm not too keen on is the black finish. Black guitars are boring.

wildcat2_02.jpg

My one's an Aria Pro II and I know very little about it. To be honest, the pickups are not to my tastes whatsoever (neither for that matter is the shit bridge). The neck is extremely thin which is sort of interesting.

It was my first ever guitar though, and it looks kinda cool so I probably wouldn't sell it unless some eccentric wanted to give me 2 grand for it.

That black one's pretty cool. Looks like a no frills Burns or something.

My one's an Aria Pro II and I know very little about it. To be honest, the pickups are not to my tastes whatsoever (neither for that matter is the shit bridge). The neck is extremely thin which is sort of interesting.

It was my first ever guitar though, and it looks kinda cool so I probably wouldn't sell it unless some eccentric wanted to give me 2 grand for it.

That black one's pretty cool. Looks like a no frills Burns or something.

The one I bought is also an Aria Pro II. They were built in Japan in the 70's up until about 1987 I think? After that they were Korean built and of nowhere near the same quality either parts or build wise (I'm told!).

Models Specifications and Info has loads of info on matsumoku built guitars. Even knowing what model it is I can't find it on the site! But the catalogues are incomplete and do miss out the last couple of years of production.

Cleaning out a cupboard the other day, I found blueprints for a Gibson SG that my Dad and I bought, with the hope of building one up, when I was maybe...13?

I was gonna have E-W-A-N instead of fret dots, or something else rubbish that seemed cool 9 years ago.

Mine is a Magna 50, if I recall correctly. 5 minutes on google suggests that it's Korean.

There it goes:

ariaaaargh.JPG

They're different guitars. The one I am looking at has different cutaways and the headstock is different and has the model written on it. Although the easiest way to identify a matsumoku guitar is by looking at the serial number on the plate. This one doesn't have a plate at the neck join though.... so I would definitely be a bit hesitant as I literally can find nothing on the matsumoku website or using google on it!

guitar3f.png

I was watching with interest too, as I've an Aria Pro ll at home (was given it for zilch, and did it up a bit....gigged it once). Seems we won't be comparing our piles of dosh just yet :(

The Matsumoku made Aria Pro II's sell for 150+ if they are in good nick and depending on the specs. Some of them are worth a reasonable amount but only the rarer top end models.. The Cliff Burton basses (Black and Gold or something like that?) seem to go for 400+.

The Matsumoku made Aria Pro II's sell for 150+ if they are in good nick and depending on the specs. Some of them are worth a reasonable amount but only the rarer top end models.. The Cliff Burton basses (Black and Gold or something like that?) seem to go for 400+.

The Aria pro II's are immense!! i had a red one and i let my cousin borrow it and he left it by a fucking radiator and put a big burn i the side of mine!! they feedback a lot with too much :cheers:distortion ...guess thats standard stuff really, put it this way i had a Gretsch white falcon ( a later model granted :) and the aria pro ii was a lot better for rocking!!

:cheers:n that!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
28081318275959845395717.jpg

Serious GAS for this. It basically makes the Siamese Dream lead guitar sound.

His site is so good. I was looking at his blog pictures of custom made pedals for ages. Awesome that he'll pretty much make anything you want, with anything you want printed on it, knob style/position. What a dude. Quite tempted for a Dream Box with half TS808 half MXR Distortion

Crrrrunch!