aberdeen-music

Gear that you want

That looks awesome! I bought a Rhodes fairly recently and love it. Think I'd try for a Clavinet next.

I would love a rhodes or a wurlitzer or one of those vintage vibes like the one pictured. But I can barely play my casio keyboard so can't really justify that layout. The vintage polyphonic ones like the yamaha cp-30 look nice though and that one on ebay is only £100. Weigh a tonne though. Will probably just save some pennies and get a decent priced stage piano and keep practicing on the casio for now.

Cheers. There's been a couple of straight in to the PA jobs before. I know this is a 'n00by' question. But can you plug a head in to a combo and bypass the built in head and just use the speaker?

I wouldn't recommend running an amp into the line-in of an amplifier. Current generated by amplifier > current generated by a pickup. I imagine that the pre-amp stage probably wouldn't have a good time. However, certainly a lot of valve guitar combos have a small cable running from the amp to the speaker that can be unplugged. Obviously in this situation, running a head directly into the speakers is totally fine.

I wouldn't recommend running an amp into the line-in of an amplifier. Current generated by amplifier > current generated by a pickup. I imagine that the pre-amp stage probably wouldn't have a good time. However, certainly a lot of valve guitar combos have a small cable running from the amp to the speaker that can be unplugged. Obviously in this situation, running a head directly into the speakers is totally fine.

Oh yeah, that's what I meant. Is it common place to be able to disconnect the speaker from the head in a combo. I know not to plug a head in to a line in on a combo. Cheers though!

After the holiday and I find a flat, looks like I'm buying a head...

I tried one of these in the States and wasn't that taken with it actually. The Pro Guitar Shop demo makes it sound amazing though.

Yeh........Ive fallen for this "pro shop guitar" ( or whatever theyre called ) mind trick before, their demos are always really good, but sometimes the gear......hmm, it was either this or the Blackout effectors one, if this is bilge then im giving up on this kind of thing....maybe :p

Oh yeah, that's what I meant. Is it common place to be able to disconnect the speaker from the head in a combo. I know not to plug a head in to a line in on a combo. Cheers though!

After the holiday and I find a flat, looks like I'm buying a head...

It's not common, I don't think. I've never seen it done live, but a combo is essentially a head and cab in the same unit. As Old Gold has said, alot of combos do have the speaker-out on the back of the amp, just as a head would. It's just a matter of unplugging that and connecting it to your head instead. Some of those cables from the speakers are very short though, and I believe 99% of the time, the cable is hardwired into the speaker, so you can't unplug that and use your own speaker cable. You could probably buy a speaker cable extension with two female jacks, if you really wanted to do it (if there is such a thing). Or you could just use your combo for home use, and head for when you're gigging it/jamming with a cab.

I used to do it with an old Valvestate head I had, into the speakers of a some shite solid state combo where the head part didn't work anymore. It sounded fine, but I have no idea if the extension lead I used for the hardwired speaker cable was affecting the current from the head to the speaker, as it came with a pair of headphones. I have no idea of the difference between a speaker cable and a general audio cable. I didn't really care though since the Valvestate head was toss and I didn't really care if it burst into flames. I got it for £60 or something, and I still felt ripped off. Bad tone.

Cheers. There's been a couple of straight in to the PA jobs before. I know this is a 'n00by' question. But can you plug a head in to a combo and bypass the built in head and just use the speaker?

In my experience, no. I'm sure there are combos that let you do this, but all the ones I've seen the speakers are hardwires, you can unplug the amp part of the combo and use it with an external cab though, but usually the cable that you can unplug from the built-in amp/head isn't long enough to plug it into your own head.

Theoretically though it'd be easy to knock up a 1/4" M-F extension lead so that you could do that.

xx

I have no idea of the difference between a speaker cable and a general audio cable.

There are a few differences. Guitar leads are designed to carry very low current and are shielded. If you open up the connector you will see a braided wire (ie) the shield. Speaker cables arn't shielded (if you open up the connector you will just see 2 wires soldered to the connector) but are designed to take the high current that is transferred between the head and cab. For instance a 100W head will be looking at a current around the region of 3.6 amps. This is far too high for a guitar lead.

If you use a guitar lead between your head and cab, the cable can overheat due to the high current and lead to shorting of the amp. Shorting of the amp can lead to bad damage to the output transformer and that can be a very costly fix.

• Upvote 2

Oh yeah, I knew of the difference between a guitar cable and a speaker cable in terms of the guitar cable not passing enough current. What I meant by "general audio cable" (which is a stupid term which I should have expanded on) was specifically a coily extension cable which came with a pair of headphones, which I used to use when connecting a horrible cheap as shit Valvestate head to an even more horrible, cheaper Marshall combo speaker. I'd usually take more care with gear, but since I didn't care about either of those shite amps, I used them as a means of playing at home, until they burst into flames (or until I gave them both away for free because they were shit). I have absolutely no idea the difference between a proper amp speaker cable and a 10 year old coily female/female extension cable.

Beat me to it Sam.

As for gear I want (I don't think I've actually contributed to this thread yet so I'll probably have a lot to put into some posts):-

_c1066830_image_0.jpg

07,23,2004_06-06-19.jpg

Not with 3 pickups though, just 2 humbuckers.

Vintage_Hot_Rod_52_Telecaster_Butterscotch_Blonde_XN67550_1.jpg

KKVs1.JPG

The one on the right with no white/silver crackle.

m5_center_fs.jpg

p18945.jpg

523078_406161252729007_227556127256188_1621093_1530177035_n.jpg

+ Another Jackson Rhoads of sorts, another Explorer of sorts, various Les Pauls and a bunch of pedals. Urgh.

James you want a Tele? Whattttttttttttt? I know someone selling a JCM800 if you are looking for one.

I love the look of them. I would change it quite a bit though! ;)

I'm not on the immediate hunt for a JCM, but at some point I need to pick one up. Thanks though :) A set of 6550s and my MXR 10 band in line and it'd be awesome. :up: