aberdeen-music

Gear that you want

• 1 month later...

Gassing for a Jaguar of some kind. I don't have high standards, so even the Squier VM would probably do. Anyone had any experience with the Squier Jags?

I have a Squier VM Bass VI, and the build quality is solid, except for the godawful bridge. It's excellent since popping a StayTrem on it. I assume the Jaguar wouldn't be too far off?

4 hours ago, TR!ΔNGL€ T€€TH said:

I've had a bunch of Jags, but never really bonded with them. I much prefer a Mustang, if you are after a short scale. The VMs are great, but there is a lot of lacquer on the necks. Pickups are good, but the bridge is hopeless. 

The bridges really are spectacularly hopeless. The one on my Bass VI, the saddle screws vibrated out as I was playing it, the bottom 2 strings just flapped on to the neck, and the tiny screws became part of my carpet. Never seen again.

StayTrem bridges are awesome though.

Man, I was hovering over the "buy it now or best offer" on this one this morning on Ebay:

s-l1600.jpg

The guy has switched out the bridge, pickups and put on a black plate, with £130 off the new price.

I moved some money around (i.e. decided to put off paying my electric bill for a month), came back to it this afternoon, and it's been had.

BOLLOCKS.

13 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

The bridges really are spectacularly hopeless. The one on my Bass VI, the saddle screws vibrated out as I was playing it, the bottom 2 strings just flapped on to the neck, and the tiny screws became part of my carpet. Never seen again.

StayTrem bridges are awesome though.

I've got a Mustang bridge in my Jazzmaster and it works fine. They're a good bit cheaper than a Staytrem.

One thing I'll add about Jaguars is that the switching system is total balls. The rhythm circuit is muffled balls and having to turn off one switch and then turn on another switch just to change between pickups is utter balls, especially live. I removed the tone pot on my Mustang and replaced it with a 3 way. 

Edited by TR!ΔNGL€ T€€TH

I've been pretty content with my lot for a while but I hear that Yamaha are about to revamp my favourite of their basses, the BB series.  Gone are the fussy chromed pickup rings, the inlays are more streamlined and modern, but it still retains the familiar but not body shape and I think these are the best looking BBs in a while.  My favourite which I wouldn't mind picking up is the BB734A.  First bass in a while which has said "buy me".

BB734ADCS-e1490930508334.jpg

I'm also getting old so I think the burst looks best.  Kill me now.

• Upvote 2

On 25/06/2017 at 7:36 PM, Soda Jerk said:

Man, I was hovering over the "buy it now or best offer" on this one this morning on Ebay:

s-l1600.jpg

The guy has switched out the bridge, pickups and put on a black plate, with £130 off the new price.

I moved some money around (i.e. decided to put off paying my electric bill for a month), came back to it this afternoon, and it's been had.

BOLLOCKS.

Seems an odd coincidence but here you go:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/398498133532597?view=permalink&id=1341978929184508

I had a bash on a Jag in a shop in Bristol last week. Kind of glad I didn't get one. It didn't feel as nice to play as I'd expected. And it sounded a bit dull, when I expected it to sound totally stabby, with those pokey single coils. The Jazzmaster felt much nicer to play, which is weird, as they look rather similar. What's making the Jazz feel better than the Jag?

Then in the same shop I had a go on a MicroKorg. Now all I can think about is synths. I want it.

Jaguar single coils do have a particular sound. The jaws around the pickups are meant to reduce noise, but they have a big influence on the tone too. In terms of feel, A Jazzmaster has a 25.5" scale length neck, which makes a huge difference to feel when compared to the Jaguar's 24" scale length.