aberdeen-music

Gear that you want

Wouldn't an eq or an overdrive with the gain right down low (a la the TS9 being used by most rock/metal producers in a recording situation)?

You could do! It's the CAE boost/line driver which once turned all the to the right gives you overdrive. Now that you mentioned the TS9, I could of had the best of both worlds!

Edited by brettthain1

You could do! It's the CAE boost/line driver which once turned all the to the right gives you overdrive. Now that you mean roomed the TS9, I could of had the best of both worlds!

I use a TS9 and a Marshall Jackhammer, I generally just use the TS9 but I used the jackhammer on Saturday at our gig at the Moorings and got complimented on my tone by the guitarist of the headlining band. I've been through the whole shitloads of pedals phase and come out the other side with a couple of regular pedals that get used more often than not and these two and my Boss DD3 and TU2 have never failed me.

I use a TS9 and a Marshall Jackhammer, I generally just use the TS9 but I used the jackhammer on Saturday at our gig at the Moorings and got complimented on my tone by the guitarist of the headlining band. I've been through the whole shitloads of pedals phase and come out the other side with a couple of regular pedals that get used more often than not and these two and my Boss DD3 and TU2 have never failed me.

Jackhammers are so smooth and buttery. First proper* FX pedal I ever bought, and I still have it. So smooth, they make me feel like I'm Prince.

*I don't count the Dan Electro Black Coffee I once had. Hideous.

Agree with Brett and Bigsby also. I have a clean boost but it doesn't mean it only boosts your clean tone. I got rid of my ts9 as it coloured my tone too much and went with the bb preamp instead. Far more transparent. If I use my clean boost with the overdrive kicked in then it just gives an extra few db in volume. I set my amp with midrange anyway cos wouldn't you want your guitar cutting through those frequencies without needing a tubescreamer or only for solos? Seems to me also that people always underestimate a volume knob on the guitar. doesn't have to aalways be full save some for a boost.

The arrival of the KLON Centaur and other transparent overdrives are certainly to blame. In a good way of course.

I've had a couple of boutique overdrive pedals that were completely transparent and I couldn't really get on with them. In the end I decided that I prefer my overdrive/distortion/fuzz to colour my tone.

I love the tone of my amp so why colour it. An overdrive is only to boost the tubes into.......overdrive, so the tone should remain the same just more broken up and increased gain stage as the tubed are driven harder. Distortion and fuzz are there to make a difference in tone that's why we have them. Just my opinion.

Depends what you're playing I suppose - it's very rare that I would just have a completely clean guitar and amp tone, usually I have a ton of compression/delay/reverb for a clean tone.

Probably more clear for me to say that I prefer my tone coloured all the time and that transparent overdrives don't give me enough colour.

I haven't had GAS for years but I am seriously craving one of these mahogany martins. Will I ever get it? I dunno, I'd have to shift some gear to make room for/ fund it. Perhaps it will remain a pipe dream for now...

000-17sm_zpse72330ba.jpg

So, I'm on the verge of giving into my GAS for this or a similar Martin. Possibly a 000-15SM or a 00-15M. I've played all 3 recently along with some Taylor and Gibson acoustics and its definitely a Mahogany Martin for me next.  My LP is down in Glasgow getting a good amount of TLC and valued ready for sale. So once I get it shifted its decision time. Also looking at either a 62 reissue or a thinline tele in 3 tone sunburst.

Hopefully they will take away my gas for a few more years.

Edited by KSJ81

• 1 month later...

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on these effects boxes. I've got the oto biscuit which is a bit crusher, delay, filter and step sequencer effects box which also switches modes and can double up as an interesting FM synth, which is amazingly diverse for such a small box!  The ones below should be good.

http://www.otomachines.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1630

BimBamBoum_White_V4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...