aberdeen-music

Gear that you want

Quoting the first post of this thread, I am still keen on buying one of these. I may have to bite the bullet and get one from eBay. UNLESS someone can recommend me another left field tremolo pedal.

Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper III, buy it from Prymaxe Vintage and it's about £75 - £100 cheaper than buying it over here.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
SM58 is better for live vocals as it is omni-directional (pulls sound from the sides) and as a result decreases the likelihood of feedback.

The SM58 is a cardioid mic - not omni directional. You don't want an omni-directional mic for live vocals. Also the pop shield on a 58 can be screwed off, essentially giving you a 57 if you want to close mic drums.

They're both the same I reckon....

Bit late off the mark but there's my 2 shillings worth anyway.

The SM58 is a cardioid mic - not omni directional. You don't want an omni-directional mic for live vocals. Also the pop shield on a 58 can be screwed off, essentially giving you a 57 if you want to close mic drums.

They're both the same I reckon....

Bit late off the mark but there's my 2 shillings worth anyway.

Yeah, i haven't explained that very well. I don't mean omni-directional in the sense of the cartrige, more in the sense that the grill design is not the same and allows an omni-directional pattern rather than a focused one, in the case of the 57. That means that the audio patterns are slightly different and the grill from the 58 makes it easier to get a wider vocal spread when used for vocals.

You could take the grill off the 58 but then it wouldn't have a pop effect on the mic so the pattern would be completely different than the 57 which would still have a grill and would still have a pattern filtering effect.

The frequency response of the 57 is 40Hz-15kHz whereas the 58 is 50Hz-15kHz, so no, they aren't the same.

Don't get me wrong, they're both great mics but i think the 57 is more versatile.

I would love me a 1970's Model-T head! Sadly not made anymore, been looking around for some decent clones as they seem to be quite difficult/very very expensive for the real deal.

sunn.jpg

fertuiee who posts on here has one if my memory serves me correctly!

Now Christmas is passed I can finally cross a looper pedal of my list. I'm now seeking another strat. Probably a 50's with a maple board as all my guitars are rosewood.

fen4b.JPG

fender-classic-player-series-50s-stratocaster-2-color-sunburst-49581.jpg

Surf Green or Sunburst would do :)

What's an mxr like? good for heavy music? it looks like the easiest/cheapest distortion pedal to build but if it's pants I winna bother.

http://amtelectronics.com/products/

If you have an amp with an FX loop get one of the preamps or 'legend' pedals. They are awesome and the legend models are very good emulations of well known amps. Eg P2 = peavey 5150. E2=Engl Powerball I believe. You get the picture. The Bogner and Orange ones would probably be awesome if you want to do the style of hardcore you love so much.I will definitely be picking up a couple this year if I have the cash.

They do have drive models for using in front of an amp like a distortion but I haven't used them so can't comment.

From others I have heard, the wampler and amptweaker pedals are good for heavy stuff but they are also very expensive.

http://amtelectronics.com/products/

If you have an amp with an FX loop get one of the preamps or 'legend' pedals. They are awesome and the legend models are very good emulations of well known amps. Eg P2 = peavey 5150. E2=Engl Powerball I believe. You get the picture. The Bogner and Orange ones would probably be awesome if you want to do the style of hardcore you love so much.I will definitely be picking up a couple this year if I have the cash.

They do have drive models for using in front of an amp like a distortion but I haven't used them so can't comment.

From others I have heard, the wampler and amptweaker pedals are good for heavy stuff but they are also very expensive.

cheers for that. but I don't have an amp at all, never mind with FX loop. and i was looking to build instead of buy as I could build a mxr for 30 quid and the circuit is relatively simple.

I simply don't have enough wangs to play with.Wangs-Guitar-Tube-Amplifier-15W-Head-VT-15H-.jpg

In all seriousness these are basically 15W JCM800 clones made by the company that makes Biyang pedals and actually sound alright and they are ridiculously cheap. You can buy them in the EU but rebranded (boo, I wanted wangs), for 175 euro so <£150. Features wise it trumps everything in it's price category but then again 15w is probably too loud for home use. It would be fun to get one and retube it though, see what it's capable of.

You can also buy Biyang pedals rebranded and I intend to pick a couple up since they are so cheap and the reviews for them are so good. The Biyang pedals have been released here by Akai but they cost £60-£70. The versions I am looking at which are totally identical bar the branding cost 35-50 euros.

The company that sells all of this stuff also sells a Russian built Dual rectifier copy for 1000 euros. It sounds pretty damn good and the Russian built gear I have is very well made so that seems like a decent deal. With a 30 day no quibbles return guarantee could be fun to get and mess about with.

My next guitar purchase will be a custom made 7 string whenever I get the cash. I wanted a purple ash finish and didn't know the Rob Caggiano sig actually already has that. So something like this colour wise but using a different finishing technique to get a more 3d effect. Different hardware too.

tn1_58724.jpg

I'm going to be looking at getting a new amp in the near future but I was seeking some advice.

Basically I was eyeing up something about 15w, decent clean tones and easy(ish) portability. Anyone here had any experiences with Vox Ac15's? I'm mainly interested in how portable they are and how difficult it is to dial in a decent clean tone and higher volumes. Andertons are stocking them with a Greenback in it for a reasonable price.

I'm not opposed to going down the head and cab route. I realise there is way more tonal options mixing up different heads and heads, it was just the AC15 was the first amp I really looked at in depth.

I'm going to be looking at getting a new amp in the near future but I was seeking some advice.

Basically I was eyeing up something about 15w, decent clean tones and easy(ish) portability. Anyone here had any experiences with Vox Ac15's? I'm mainly interested in how portable they are and how difficult it is to dial in a decent clean tone and higher volumes. Andertons are stocking them with a Greenback in it for a reasonable price.

I'm not opposed to going down the head and cab route. I realise there is way more tonal options mixing up different heads and heads, it was just the AC15 was the first amp I really looked at in depth.

I use one live in Seas, Starry. First off, it's hella loud. Playing gigs in the likes of cellar 35 where we've not been mic'd up I've probably only been around half way up on the master vol.

It's easy to get a clean sound at relatively high volume although I tend to run mine just a little dirty. The reverb is really nice but it's easy to over do it. It takes effects well (it would have too) and you can get a good distortion tone out of it with the right pedals in front of the amp.

In terms of portability, mine weighs around 25Kg so it's not too heavy to cart about but it does only have the one handle.

I use one live in Seas, Starry. First off, it's hella loud. Playing gigs in the likes of cellar 35 where we've not been mic'd up I've probably only been around half way up on the master vol.

It's easy to get a clean sound at relatively high volume although I tend to run mine just a little dirty. The reverb is really nice but it's easy to over do it. It takes effects well (it would have too) and you can get a good distortion tone out of it with the right pedals in front of the amp.

In terms of portability, mine weighs around 25Kg so it's not too heavy to cart about but it does only have the one handle.

I should point out that I've only really used it with single coil guitars but it's worked well with Telecasters, Stratocasters and a Jazzmaster or two.

Cheers for the info Mikey. It certainly ticks all the right boxes tone wise and I remember how loud Seas, Starry were at Cellar 35, I thought it was an AC30 buried amongst the pile effects pedals and amps. As for the weight, 25 kg is pretty manageable. It wouldn't be getting lugged far but my house has a particularly steep and narrow staircase that isn't the easiest to clamber up and down with an amp.

Cheers for the info Mikey. It certainly ticks all the right boxes tone wise and I remember how loud Seas, Starry were at Cellar 35, I thought it was an AC30 buried amongst the pile effects pedals and amps. As for the weight, 25 kg is pretty manageable. It wouldn't be getting lugged far but my house has a particularly steep and narrow staircase that isn't the easiest to clamber up and down with an amp.

I have sustained only moderate shin damage from getting it down the stairs. I think VOX are doing an AC15 with two speakers now which I was considering as I guess it would give the sound a bit more 'width'. I do cheat a bit though, I often use an MXR EQ pedal to fiddle with the midrange as there is no 'mid' control on the amp.