aberdeen-music

Gear that you want

I've got more pedal GAS than anything else at the moment.

Would really like a reverb pedal.

I think this reverb/delay is current my favoured option.

I also wouldn't mind a spring reverb emulation pedal, perhaps when I put together a 'vintage rig' with fuzz, phaser, envelope filter and vibe (possibly this bad boy as it sounds nice and is small)

I also wouldn't mind a stereo reverb pedal (maybe this one), possibly would be good if I ended up with two guitar rigs in the future and could put this one in the modern styled rig.

I also wouldn't mind a few more mod pedals

Univibe or vibe or vibrato is probably top of the list. I'm a bit confused with the classification of vibes and univibes as my understanding is univibe has modulation effect whereas vibrato does not.

This is probably my favourite sounding one out there but it is also difficult to source in the UK and has a rather big footprint.

Until recently, I had never been completely convinced by the idea of a phaser but I know they sound awesome sometimes and I want to mix it with creepy clean tones and psychedelic fuzz. Not sure which one I'll go for there but wouldn't want to spend too much money, nor would I want something I'd grow out of quickly.

Definately want an envelope filter as well. There seems to be quite a lot of good options out there across a wide price spectrum. Electro Harmonix do quite a few models. I think the Xotic Robotalk 2 possibly sounds the best I've heard but it's more money than I will have to spend any time soon on such an effect. Malekko do one that is small and sounds good also.

Always wouldn't mind a few more dirt pedals, even though I love the ones I have. Perhaps top of my list would be a Hendrix style fuzzface clone that sounds good through a fender clean amp and isn't big like the original fuzzface. This appears to be the winning ticket but it the easiest to source in Europe either.

I also wouldn't mind a better than average tubescreamer, perhaps one by Visual Sound and something else that sounds like a classic stack.

Perhaps I have a GAS problem....

Buying practice rig soon. Have decided to get a pedal and power amp pedal for portability/flexibility and because frankly it sounds awesome too based primarily on home clips but also the youtube video demos are good too. Don't have the pennies to spend on the Ironheart and not sure when I will so will just have to wait for that. First priority is decent cables/cab/pedal/poweramp. Will have to wait a month to order it though as the pre amp pedal is currently out of stock until the end of September. May just order and pay for it now anyway as can still use poweramp and cab with the pedals I have now but the SS30 is what I really want.

More of a clean/crunchy demo

Metulz demo.

The AMT power amp/pre amp pedals sound pretty awesome. Amazing to think people spend £100's on conventional amplifiers that don't sound nearly as good as that.

I've got a TC electronic nova reverb i would sell if that is of any use to you.

That is a good reverb pedal but I want something I can power easily (I think the official specs exceed what is possible from a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 + but apparently it still work) and is smaller than that. I also think my girlfriend may have bought me some form of guitar pedal for my birthday and it might be a reverb pedal.

The AMT power amp/pre amp pedals sound pretty awesome. Amazing to think people spend £100's on conventional amplifiers that don't sound nearly as good as that.

That is a good reverb pedal but I want something I can power easily (I think the official specs exceed what is possible from a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 + but apparently it still work) and is smaller than that. I also think my girlfriend may have bought me some form of guitar pedal for my birthday and it might be a reverb pedal.

You can power the Nova from a PP2+ by using a current doubler cable connected to outputs 5&6, or by using the courtesy output at the back.

Ahh, that is the red cable for the L6 settings? It wouldn't work if I put it on a small board with a less sophisticated power supply though, which is my intention for rehearsals and when I don't have transport. I think I'd rather get something normal stompbox-sized that runs off completely cnventional 9V DC.

Also, I think the Strymon reverb sounds very nice if I was to open the search to larger units.

There are many good options out there. The ones you have mentioned are great. I am not sure if the Hall of Fame sounds quite as good a WET reverb for the general studio reverb type sound but it doesn't have all the settings the Hall of Fame does and it is still nothing short of excellent. I can imagine the Hall of Fame might be the most flexible compact pedal option and if you want one small pedal that does everything - it would probably be the winner. The price is also really good. Strymon also have the 'flint' which has tremolo and reverb. Just heard this demo of it yesterday.

I still kind of like the idea of having a simple pedal that just does a spring reverb sound and another that just does a more ambient/studio reverb sound really well and putting them on pedalboards accordingly, based on the sort of band I am playing on.

There are many good options out there. The ones you have mentioned are great. I am not sure if the Hall of Fame sounds quite as good a WET reverb for the general studio reverb type sound but it doesn't have all the settings the Hall of Fame does and it is still nothing short of excellent. I can imagine the Hall of Fame might be the most flexible compact pedal option and if you want one small pedal that does everything - it would probably be the winner. The price is also really good. Strymon also have the 'flint' which has tremolo and reverb. Just heard this demo of it yesterday.

I still kind of like the idea of having a simple pedal that just does a spring reverb sound and another that just does a more ambient/studio reverb sound really well and putting them on pedalboards accordingly, based on the sort of band I am playing on.

Depending on what cables you're planning to get, constantly rebuilding your board could get expensive quickly. I just rewired mine and forgot to put some flexibility in to switch from amps with an fx loop to everything straight into the amp...............gonna have to start all over again. Or buy new amps!

I often take things on and off depending on what I'm doing. I already have 10 planet waves patch cables from their pedalboard kits, which I haven't even needed to make all of yet. They are good cables, which are easy to build and dismantle as required. There is plenty of length that comes with the kits for the sake of alterations. If there is no chance of me using a particular pedal, I'd rather not have it in the signal chain.

2 pedalboards is kind of necessary for me from the point of view of having a small one that can be carried around without a car and a larger one that has everything I want on it. Duplicate pedal types aren't required at first but it may be helpful to have the option of not changing anything. I also potentially envisage a gig type situation where it is useful to have 2 reverb pedals, effectively being used as 2 different reverb types/presets. It would also give the option of potentially stylising a particular setup in the future i.e. one being more retro than the other. I still need to buy a Pedaltrain Mini and a One Spot at some point as I currently use my PT-2 and Pedal Power 2+, which doesn't work without a car to move it about.

I agree with you about not rewiring the board much if you want more fancy options like switching multi channel amp and potentially being in the effects loop sometimes and in the front of the amp on other occasion. I am trying to work with the assumption I'll be running into a clean amp for the foreseeable future and get my board to do everything else. It suits my needs at the moment. In 4 years time, when I finally cave in and buy an ENGL head and a 4x12", then that will be a different matter.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty happy with my current set-up, but would like to add another Les Paul to my meagre (2 guitar) collection. A Goldtop or a nice Burst with some funcy p/ups would be just the ticket :)

Our singer - superb as he is - struggles with songs in E and A, so I borrowed Stoney_Stu's Les Paul and tuned it down to D for Saturday's gig - it saved re-learning quite a few of the songs, so another Lester set for D would be the lazy man's ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

TC Electronic just released the Flashback X4 delay. It is a bigger, more complex version of their compact Flashback delay with 3 presets, midi and a physical tap tempo button.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/flashback-x4-delay.asp

As a delay unit, it seems to be somewhere between a Lin3 6 DL4 and higher end options like Strymon Timeline and Eventide Timefactor and has greater advantages as a looper, such as an undo button and 40second of delay time.

I do wonder however if it is really enough of an upgrade if you already own a DL4 or a couple of individual delay pedals. I would prefer more than 3 presets and don't see why it couldn't offer that without compromising on usability in any serious way and I am not sure if it sounds quite as good as the options from Eventide and Strymon. Definitely a killer unit though and the price is good at ~£200.

I fancy this, got the single flashback just now. The toneprint iphone app is a bit hit and miss as to whether it downloads or not but the basic sounds are good and having a looper built in doesn't hurt either. DL4 or Timeline are probably more flexible but they're a lot more expensive and take up a massive amount of room on a pedalboard. Running off 9v is a boost too!