aberdeen-music

HMV to close?

Lemonade

HMV should bring back their vinyl section.

Safety ensues.

I've been in HMV stores that have vinyl sections, must be down to individual stores. I'm guessing that the HMV in Stoke probably doesn't have seven retro Scotland football tops on sale, for example.

Vinyl sales are up and CD sales are down, but CDs still outsell vinyl...

There is a demand for it. CD sales are down. Vinyl sales are up. Get rid of CD's. Replace with vinyl.

Really? So why did they get rid of it in the first place?

Saying that. Out of the people left who actually buy music now, I'm sure the majority like a bit of vinyl - either to play or collect - so it does make sense. But if they are shutting down places, taking in heaps of new stock might not be on their list of things to do... The arseholes.

HMV are good for cheap books, DVD's in sales and 2 for 10 CD deals on occasion. They are a total rip off for most back catalogue stuff but then One Up don't exactly shine in that area nowadays. One Up vinyl prices are ridiculous, preying on all the folk who seem to have latched onto vinyl as some sort of musical Holy Grail. I buy vinyl now and then after stopping for years, usually it's stuff from Southern Lord that you can't get on other formats. I really don't get the big vinyl obsession though.

I've recently been listening to some new vinyl and old cassettes on my separates system which has been out of action for a while. Cassettes sounded best. Who'd have thunk it?

I just bought 7 DVD box sets from Asda.com which came to 66 with free postage. Same price on Play.com. On HMV.com it would have cost me 90.93, plus postage, over 100 in total. Hmmm wonder why they might be struggling.

Isnt HMV free postage, it always has eben when I've bought there ? Like anything else it depends what you buy and when you buy it HMV has the complete Frasier boxset for 39.99 which is 20 cheaper than anywhere else at the moment, which when you think about it is 50% of the sale price better than anywhere which is a huge saving, really just depends what your looking for.

• Upvote 1

Isnt HMV free postage, it always has eben when I've bought there ? Like anything else it depends what you buy and when you buy it HMV has the complete Frasier boxset for 39.99 which is 20 cheaper than anywhere else at the moment, which when you think about it is 50% of the sale price better than anywhere which is a huge saving, really just depends what your looking for.

Sweet, didn't know they had Frasier for super-cheap. Thanks for the heads-up, time to make a purchase!

I work in HMV Aberdeen. We are NOT closing. The media is exaggerating the whole thing! HMV was and isla profitable company, just not as much as they would have hoped. We are also one of the top stores in the UK, we ain't going anywhere fast.

Also, staff are treated really well in my opinion. Its the best job I've ever had and I've had a few!

Of the 60 stores most are temporary stores some Waterstones. HMV will still have 200+ stores in the UK. Oh and xmas was fecking mobbed! Rarely a dull moment in December so not sure when the guy on the first page was in!